[Suggestion] Nerf the chaingun on harrasers

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Weterman, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carrias

As per usual i see another thread not properly thought through before people respond with un helpful comments calling for nerfs and buffs while not really understanding what they are talking about and why.

First if your going to moan about something get the name right TR have multiple chain-guns the harasser one is the Vulcan.
    Don't instantly call for a nerf without thinking it through and other alternatives it just gets peoples backs up creating sides for and against with people not being calm and approaching the problem with an open mind.

So this is how i see the game with the TR Vulcan Harasser.
    Harassers have already taken some serious knocks during their development as the vehicle stands at present.
    It has low health
    Can be self repaired while moving
    Has tremendous speed and agility
    Can be an unstable nightmare to shoot from and drive
    To reflect all this its cheap to purchase with your auruxium.
    So what does this add up to the harasser is incredible fun for both the driver and gunner is a gamers dream and is just the kind of vehicle everyone wants to use credit to developers.
    When first released with basic weapons no problem really as they were all NS weapons so all could use.

CONCLUSION the Harasser vehicle itself is both acceptable and fun.

So now the crux of the matter the Vulcan lets se how it fits with the Harasser (Not the Prowler) stay on topic
    With a large magazine size and high rate of fire (TR Traits) it very easily overcomes two of the Harassers weaknesses for the gunner Trying to aim while moving fast and also from an unstable platform.
    Slightly off topic but relevant. To me this is the strength of the TR faction if you take 100 random players of no particular skill level and playing independently the TR faction works together its a clever design the NC requires more coordination with the VS requiring even more that's why the last two teams are used the most in competitive play This is NOT a slur on TR players.

The point being if not playing coordinated with your driver trying to hit a target with a slower firing small magazine size weapon is less rewarding. Less fun = pulled less So be careful when quoting States read all the statistics not just the ones that support your case.

Faction weapons Role :the AV Enforcer and Suron fulfill their roles with out intruding on the AI weapons the C85 and the PPA you pick your role and go with the relevant weapon. The Vulcan is not achieving this it (in my opinion is dominating the AV role but also smothering the AI role outperforming the C85 the PPA and the Marauder all by a significant margin this is the first point to be addressed.

Second point The name harasser is well chosen this vehicle should be harassing not tanking moving fast behind the enemy lines hit and run tactics mainly against infantry. If engaging tanks they should have to kite and preferable looking for damaged vehicles to finish off not engaging full health tanks head on this is a design flaw in my opinion the VS and NC and the NS Halbard AV weapons perform this task The Vulcan is over achieving and its nothing to do with skill.

My biggest concern with the Vulcan is its smothering the game. People are flanking less Sundys are deployed to close together instead of spreading the defence no one wants to play away from the main group as your easy prey to Vulcan harassers. Lightnings most of all the original flanking vehicle cannot compete on fair terms with the Vulcan so cannot perform its intended role and this is wrong and IS a question of Balance. A fully certed AP lightning struggles against a stock Vulcan Harasser The AP bonus does not work on soft targets you require 3 Hits on a fast moving target that also suffers no amour facing problems and can disappear very quickly fast repair and start again if first attack goes poorly with the chassis frame you get a more stable firing platform fire suppression adds health stealth you cant see it coming and of all things a magazine up grade denied the other AV weapons The much sort after One clip kill gets easier and easier.

Part of the problem is the fun Harasser is given a fun and highly rewarding weapon in combo they work well together So part of the problem is Jealousy Refer back to TR design i mentioned earlier To balance this weapon you cant destroy these attractions the TR must still have a viable option.

So what to do
    It must remain fun
    It must remain viable
    It can't over shadow its AI (Marauder)

I think the developers have over complicated the weapon adding damage drop off Magazine upgrades Cof etc its to much to play with to get it right.

First simple like the other AV weapons Reload only option no magazine up grade this way when you pick a damage profile for each bullet you have not got to worry about this added complication.
    Like they did with the Lynx Carbine Find a acceptable bullet (Damage) size this way they can have an acceptable rate of fire the weapon is still fun sounds great and is distinctive.
    Many people say other AV weapons are long range so Vulcan has to deal huge damage because it has to get close (high risk high reward) Yeah NO. The Harasser itself solves all these problems high speed agility stealth all deliver the weapon to were you need it. Added to this there are very few places on each continent where cover is not available to a fast vehicle again harass not tank.

So repeating final thought yeah tone it down but don't overkill keep it fun keep faction traits Dump Magazine up grade reduce bullet damage and make the Marauder a consideration (point on this its a game its not real so don't balance around real life just because a bullet pieces armour doesn't mean in game it should destroy Infantry).

That's my thoughts i have loads more but this is already way to long and am sure to see trolls with one word answer don't care said my bit there it is.
    • Up x 1
  2. TyranEndlos

I don't mind the Vulcan Harrasser, they really have to get in close if they want to do some damage and a lot of the times the drivers always seem to extend themselves too much. That's why I always run to a crest of a hill or something and shoot at it, you get it's attention and it comes racing at you to take you out. Leave some c4 right there and just as it comes up to chase after you for an easy kill you blow it up. It's worked surprisingly well for me.
  3. 00000000000000000000

Stop making these terrible threads.

Thanks.
    • Up x 3
  4. xthezerohunter

You're comparing the Harasser, the fastest vehicle in the game to the Magrider, which is the slowest? One of them is going to win in a 1v1. That's like comparing a flash to a sunderer, they're different for a reason. If every vehicle was the same there would be no point spawn different vehicles. If every weapon was the same there would be no point to choosing a faction based on weapon choices. If everything was the same the game would just be another regurgitated FPS. The Vulcan-H is meant for DPS, while the Saron is meant for Burst, don't compare the two.
  5. MikeyGeeMan

Yes lets Nerf the Vulcan because tr have avg only 25-30% on at a time. Lets get that down to 5%.

I applaud the tr, with all the nerfs we have had we still do decently well with mostly underpopped servers.
    • Up x 1
  6. xthezerohunter

C4 and Tank Mines can kill vehicles faster than any other weapon, should they get nerfed or should your skills get buffed?
  7. Goldmonk

Here's the reason: It has a purpose. You should how it dominates at CQC (5m-30m). Make a video where you take it out to 50-100m and further. It's garbage. The Vulcan and the Harrasser go hand in hand because it's a deadly CQC combination, perhaps the deadliest. But get it at a distance and it's inaccurate and it's damage drops. If you want to nerf it, reduce the magazine size. But reduce it's damage and you take away it's effectiveness.
  8. Calissei

Blablabla
    Obviousely tr fanboys will defend their op toy, nc&vs will call for nerf..
    It's not really about the mag size or damage, it's about the EASE OF USE.
    Show me how u shred opponents with enforcer or saron when harasser is moving (circling around the target), especially on uneven terrain.
    This kind of chaingun shouldn't exist on such vehicle as harasser in the first place.
    Easy mode on, pretty much every below average joe just hops in and certs are flowing. Too painful to watch.
  9. Goldmonk

And NC and VS fanboys will defend their OP toys like the AirHammer and the old PPA. Everyone has OP toys. Like I told OP, deal with it.
  10. Weterman

Reducing the mag size will not have much of an effect. It takes a second or 2 to reload, and after that, the gunner just continues to fire. The damage of the tank he is shooting does not get repaired during the reload, so it just takes a bit longer to kill, and the tanks has an extra shot.

Reducing the damage will balance it out. The vulcan shouldn't be able to destroy a tank so easily. It should be more of a support weapon.

The damage of the vulcan should be reduced to somewhere slightly above the skyguard's damage.

Let's say we have a skyguard ontop of the harrasser, and it can look down enough to shoot enemy vehicles. It would be more effective against a lightning with a python than a lightning with a skyguard.

Why?

1. It can most fast. If it gets shot once, it can go hide behind a rock, repair quickly, for only a second or 2 would be enough with 2 repairers. The lightning will not have a chance to repair, he will stay in the tank trying to get the harrasser. Now the harrasser comes back, with a bit more health, the lightning doesnt expect him to come where he comes from, so the harrasser gets a few more free shots.

Rinse and repeat. The lightning will continue to get damaged, and the harrasser will be able to repair itself. Harrasser doesnt even need to go hide, the nanite auto repair can repair itself before the lightning can get another shot at him.

Now a skyguard vs python, skyguard has no chance. He can't get out of the way behind a rock, if he turns and runs he will take extra damage from the back, and the python will be able to catch up to him.

So a tank with heavier armour and the same weapon is more likely to die than a weak armoured jeep with the same weapon, against the same tank.

Does that sound right?
  11. Silkensmooth

When you can kill a 2/2 mbt with it ill agree that its overpowered.

Since killing a good 2/2 mbt is impossible with the vulcan id say its not overpowered.

Does it kill things? Yes. But its SUPPOSED to kill things.

The magrider gets screwed if you drive directly under it but again thats not really practical against GOOD maggy drivers. Most of the time you will just get blown up. Against a vanguard you die each and every time.
    • Up x 1
  12. Silkensmooth

No it sounds wrong. Skyguard is an AA vehicle.

Harrasser is a 2 man vehicle. It costs less resources than a lightning but in order to be effective it requires 2 people which is considered offsetting the higher cost of the lightning. So a good harrasser is a good match for a lightning, but that doesnt mean you win every time by any means. Ive died to lots of good lightning drivers in my buggy.

Skyguard dies to harrasser because its a specialized weapon that really needs to be changed. Its broken and making the harrasser like a skyguard without flak would just mean no one would drive them.

They already put them in a state where no one would drive them and they had to buff them to get people into them.

Harrasser is more fun to drive than a tank, but still not nearly as good at farming as an MBT.
    • Up x 1
  13. sjtw_w_stot

I despise them, does NC have anything close to it? I haven't found it.
  14. Weterman

Sigh, a harrasser with the vulcan can destroy a magrider.

Heavy battle tank can get killed by a jeep. Thats not right.
  15. task_master

Are your complaints about how vulcan-h matches up to lightnings, or how it matches up to magrider? Because there's a world of difference there.

Magrider has issues when it can't control the engagement range and positioning. This is an issue with magrider having crap top gun angles and no turret, not with the vulcan-h being OP. Is that ok? idk.

Lightning on the other hand, will **** all over vulcan-h.
  16. HAYMAKER

A solo player driving and gunning a vulcan harraser can't beat a competent solo mtb driver. A 2 manned vulcan harraser vs solo mtb stands a chance. Ive never had a problem when swagriding and have a gunner with one vulcan harraser. 2 can be a pain. But 3 are just destructive.
  17. Goldmonk

Reduce the damage? To Skyguard level? Are you insane? You want to take an AV weapon and reduce the damage it does to that of an AA weapon? I have seen it all ladies and gentlemen. Simple answer: NO. I still think magazine size is a reasonable reduction.
  18. RadarX

This thread seems to have run a very anticipated course so we're going to go ahead and close it. Please ensure you are familiar with our forum guidelines when posting. Thank you!
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.