[Vehicle] need tips for Prowler

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ArcKnight, May 1, 2016.

1. ArcKnight

I'm planning on dusting of my old BR5 TR alt on Connery..... solely for tanking

so what do I build ? what do I prioritize and what is it actually good at ?
  2. Jake the Dog

If your're starting from scratch
    Priorities:
    1. Top gun: GK, vulcan or halberd depending on playstyle.
    2. 1st level of lockdown.
    3. NAR or Stealth depending on playstyle,
    4. Racer 1
    5. P2 120 AP

Thats how I built my prowlers and really all of my tanks. After the first couple of purchases, you can decide where you want to go. Rival is meh (my personal opinion), speed is absolutely essential.
  3. ArcKnight

I heard the AP cannon is the only prowler main gun that can still OHK infantry ?
  4. Armcross

It's either you play it as mobile artillery or as a heavy lightning. Its not a real MBT per say. Tip, then aiming and firing hands off the accelerator.
  5. Yessme

Vs Vanguard or in Close Battel.
    Firesup, front Amor, Vulcan with thermal.

Vs, Maggy or open field:
    Ankermode, Stealth, Gatekeeper, 2x Scope
  6. C_Saunders

Depends what playstyle your going for, if its a run and gun loadout go for this:

Run and gun loadout max stealth is a must, max stealth obviously gives you the element of surprise as you will not come up on the map unless spotted, however close you are to the target.

Then to get in and out quickly I'd recommend the racer chassis, however, and turning and reversing you do will be severely hindered by it. However if it's pretty rough terrain, I'd personally go for the rival combat chassis so you can follow the fastest route across it which may not be a straight line.

The top gun I'd 100% go with vulcan, if your going for a run and gun style you want something hard hitting at close range, Vulcan shreds up close, combined with max stealth it's pretty deadly.

Now I have only ever used lockdown on my Prowler, which I would recommend anyway for a run and gun setup, the undeploy is now lightning fast, however the deploy can be nasty. The fire rate when it's maxed though is lethal, easily take on 3 MBT from the rear combined with stealth.

As for main tanks cannon, obviously choose whichever for your intended role.

That's personally what I think, then again though, people's playstyles differ so it may not suit you. Hope that helps anyway :)

If you want slightly longer range then switch that vulcan out for a halberd. The halberd is more lethal than a gatekeeper in the hands of a competent gunner.

For scopes put thermal on the Vulcan as it's only effective at the range of said scope, if running halberd, run a 2x zoom. For the main tank weapon, 2x zoom for whatever one it is.
  7. Jake the Dog

While I havent ran HEAT in awhile, I'm pretty sure its still a ohk, it does do 1000dmg. AP is a priority, but getting the other stuff will drastically increase your tanks combat capability, if you're like me though with 6 different accounts buying the AP guns for all the tanks with SC/DBC was a huge timesaver.

Im assuming you mean "when" not "then", and learning to shoot on the move is a skill crucial to whether or not you're a good tanker. So its a good idea to practice especially in rough terrain.

Also, mobile arty or lightning? lol, you could just play it as a MBT just be smart as to how you do it.

Or vs all tanks,
    anchor, stealth, vulcan with 1.5x zoom.

Stealth is the name of the game for skilled tankers, and there are way to many situations where anchor is too useful to pass up. If you were focusing on just killing a single tank then sure pull front armor and FS, otherwise there's no real solid reason to pull it.

In closing: realize what is synergetic with your playstyle and the current build you're running.
  8. ArcKnight

if you find that HEAT still OHK's infantry then let me know

either way I'm gonna get thermal optics for my main gun, I know infantry will be easier to kill at night with it

my only experience with MBT's is from the vanguard and its more of a medium range AV tank than anything else though i wish the AP rounds had more projectile velocity
  9. Jake the Dog

Thermals on the main gun? I'd suggest not doing that personally. The AP guns best velocity comes from deploy.
  10. Slandebande

Both HEAT and HE also OHK's infantry on direct hits (if they aren't wearing Flak). If they are wearing Flak, it typically requires 2 direct hits to kill infantry (the other MBTs still generally OHK's Flak infantry). Note, the Prowler AP also requires 2 direct hits against Flak-wearing targets.
  11. ArcKnight

strange I recall during the SOE days the prowler HE got its OHK against infantry removed
  12. Towie

Remember it can be a challenge to get a gunner into a Prowler and you stand no chance if using the Basilisk - so i'd go GK or Vulcan for secondary depending on playstyle (and GK is super versatile so is my current favourite, can even scare air). If 1/2 GK also gives you an option to switch seats and hit stuff accurately at extreme distance and they won't even see you - great for removing turrets from a base.

Racer chassis - Prowler with racer doesn't slide around anywhere near as much as the Lightning, and makes it real peppy

AP is the go-to for main cannon but HEAT is very serviceable on the Prowler.
  13. Slandebande

I'm pretty sure that was the OHK's from the indirect damage (splash) alone that was removed?
  14. ArcKnight

doesn't the GK have a no-tracer bug ?
  15. Slandebande

It isn't only the GK, but practically any weapon used at long range (especially if you are in a hex/zone with lots of fighting). Last night an Enforcer did it to me. I have of course tried similar things many times so I knew how to react, pinpoint the source, take cover etc etc without an issue.
  16. Towie

More of a game engine limitation - when PS2 gets busy it can only render so much so anything at distance may not be rendered at all. This can happen to anything with long range potential but GK is hands-down the number one culprit. There are videos on the subject - on the receiving end they get no visible indicators for whats hitting them or where from - just a disappearing health bar.

Give it a go in VR, put a 2x scope on it, drive some distance away from a target then aim and fire. It has no bloom - no recoil - little drop so after you've found the range (which is easy to do as the projectile speed is so high) just keep button pressed and watch your target ultimately explode.

For close range - Vulcan is just as easy but even more powerful (higher damage)
    For AI with good AV - Halberd is great, arguably the best of them all if you have a good gunner
    For long range - GK is king of the hill but gives away very little for any range and any target, it's like a Basilisk on steroids
  17. PzGr

Hmm opinion seems to be plentiful,

currently I have lvl 1 lockdown, and thermo on the HEAT gun, and nothing else. What is the recommendation going forward. I'm not that big into epic flank as every time I tried that, I rolled over a mine, got c4ed, or promptly took a gazillion infantry AT weapon hits. In line battles, I found infantry to be much more lucrative as each hit result in kill and reward, where a million hits on a vehicle result in it being repaired and no reward.

So what now? I suppose get to Lvl3 lock down first, and then what? Get AP cannon or what? Or go get the gate keeper? Is AP worthwhile? Does it kill before enemy vehicles simply back away into cover to be repaired? Or HE? Since infantry killing seem to be my biggest source of profit atm... I noticed HEATs AoE damage rarely produce kills,
  18. Crayv

Unless they changed it, Lockdown is only really useful when you get it fully certed out. At the lower ranks you get the full downside of it (you can't move at all) but only part of the advantages of it.