Need Help On Port Forwarding PlanetSide 2 (Screenshots Included)

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by RayDrazon, Jan 20, 2013.

1. RayDrazon

I've been getting a lot of disconnections from PlanetSide 2 where everyone just keeps walking in a straight line through terrain or is completely still. These are all random; some I've been getting after 20 minutes of gameplay and some after several hours. I've tried many things to try and solve this disconnection issue including allowing these programs through my security programs:

C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.exe
    C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\PlanetSide2.exe
    C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.libs\AwesomiumProcess.exe

I've also ran a cleanboot to see if any of my third party programs are causing these disconnects but I still received a disconnect. (I'm using Steam if that matters.)

So now I'm trying to Port Forward PlanetSide 2 to see if this will resolve my disconnects. The problem is, the ports are still blocked even after I port forwarded PlanetSide 2.

My Steps: (I know it's in Chinese so I've also included an English Reference)

First, I go to the Router Interface and click on Port Forward/Triggering
    [IMG]

Then I click "Add Custom Service" and fill out all the information needed.
    [IMG]

Afterwards, I click apply and this is what shows up
    [IMG]

To check to see if my ports are still blocked, I go to http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and type in 20040 which is one of the PlanetSide 2 Ports. As you can see, it is closed.
    [IMG]

Next, I check the other end of the PlanetSide 2 port which is 20199. As you can see, it is also closed.
    [IMG]

Here are the references:

English Interfaces:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Port Forward Database:
    http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36804

So what have I done wrong in my port forwarding?

Please post and comment below. Thanks.
  2. BenYeeHua

你好,表示这个游戏并不必要使用port forward来连接的,因为PS2没把你的电脑当成服务器,其他玩家都是直接连接服务器的。
    断线的原因可能是游戏自带的voice chat导致的,你可以试试看禁用游戏的voice chat。
    It might be not solving your problem, as this game don't need port forward.
    And this might be the netgear firmware problem, you can try disable the voice chat and check this problem is fixed or not.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/owners-of-netgear-routers-various-models.54627/
  3. RayDrazon

I never said that I knew chinese lol... So what your saying is that PlanetSide 2 doesn't need to port forward? I'll try to disable the voice chat...
  4. BenYeeHua

lol, so why using Chinese one.:p
    Yes, because server and player don't need to connect to your computer as the game don't using your computer as the server.
  5. FeiXue

No it doesn't. Connections are innitiated from your side and as far as I know, all home routers come with that enabled as factory setting. You are actually better off with PF disabled as that will only eat up router's processing cycles unless of course you need it for something else like Skype.

Do you lose connection just to PS2 server? I mean, when you get disconnected in game does your link to the world still work? If yes you could try the following:
    • Get some network diagnostic tool; sorry I use Linux for such things so not really familiar what's been going on in Win world for the past three years.
    • Trace route from your computer to PS2 server; servers' network names are available, look around.
    • Let diagnostic tool ping every hop in the route while you play. One ping every 3-4 seconds is plenty, you don't want to overload your router. There will be option to log results.
    • Once you get disconnected look at logs. With few tries you should be able to figure out the culprit. If it's your router try upgrading firmware. If it's not then prepare for long and often frustrating email corespondence with various parties usually blaming each other.
    Statistically, problem will be on your end. Next in line are your ISP's packet shaping, traffic throtling and money-saving connections to backbones.
  6. RayDrazon

Do you think WireShark would be good for a network diagnostic tool? If so, do you know how to use it?
  7. RayDrazon

This is what it looks like at the time of disconnection with the Resource Monitor:
    [IMG]
  8. RayDrazon

This is what it looks like at the time of disconnection in the CMD, when I constantly ping the SolTech server which I play on.
    [IMG]

If I disconnect, why does it have to exit me out of the whole game? Why not just the character selection screen instead?
  9. RayDrazon

Just wondering: Is there any chance that the Leatrix Latency fix will solve my problem?
  10. FeiXue

Interesting. So based on the above you do not lose connection on physical layer just your client and server stop communicating. Your ping is not a champion of stability but ICMP packets do get through. So next is monitoring actual PS2 traffic and yes, Wireshark was and probably still is everything you need. As far as I remember it also has very nice log analysis tools.

Pure guess but I'd say that not just game packets between your client and server stop but also what I would call control packets (Store data flow would fall under that category, probably some data flow to login server is kept; sort of "I'm still here") so when all that stops client has no option but to request restart.