Need help on headshots

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DarkStarAnubis, Feb 17, 2018.

1. DarkStarAnubis

In a nutshell: I can hit the head pretty well when I aim to the head, but I do not remember to aim to the head.

If a target pops up suddenly I go centermass, I can't get rid of this automatic reaction. If I have some hundreds of seconds to spare I aim to the head, but this is a luxury I rarely enjoy.

Looking at YouTube videos of good players I can see that often they start firing at the body and then they adjust during the burst to the head.

I guess my problem is the fact I can't give a lot of time to PS2 so to build an automatic reflex for headshots is the main issue.

Any hint? I work consciously to keep the weapon at head level when moving, but also that practice requires focus that I may loose in prolonged fights.
  2. Rydenan

Walk around keeping the crosshair at head-height. Indoors, you can use the horizontal stripes along the walls to help you judge this. When you take aim, simply keep the crosshair at head-height.
    • Up x 1
  3. Demigan

This game contains COF. This means that each weapon has a specific range where you can go for headshots, outside of that range only the first few shots can be at the head the rest needs to be at the body due to the increasing chance that shots will miss the head, and the moment that the COF is twice the size of a head you have more than 50% chance the bullets miss which completely negates all advantages of hitting the head for double damage. The thing is, only a select few weapons can reliably pull this off at longer ranges as their COF stays small enough without the player having to do extreme amounts of trigger discipline which incidentally also takes time and reduces your DPS by going for the head.

A smart move is to only slightly tweak your tendency. Currently you instantly move to the torso, but having the first few shots at head-height before giving in to your natural tendency is the right thing to do with most PS2 weapons. I say you start a few practice runs in the VR each time you start playing. You turn around +/-180 degree's and start opening fire while you are moving on a VR bot, trying to get the pattern you want. After just a handful of successful tries you go to the normal game and try consciously to replicate it. Your stats will drop at first, but as you progress you'll eventually develop a new natural tendency and get better at it.
    • Up x 2
  4. HippoCryties

Hey,
    I guess you could say I had this exact same problem back in the day, the only way to get consistent headshots is to put in a conscious effort. Try using the gauss saw if u can learn to headshot with that beast then boy will you be able to handle anything. Just give it a try and when u see an enemy think I’m going to hit this guys head eventually it will become a habit. Also just a tip but lower your sensitivity it makes your aim more competitive and also go into settings and turn of mouse acceleration and tick the boxes that say use raw mouse input and reduce input lag
    • Up x 1
  5. Eternaloptimist

Yep, what Demigan says. I used to practice in VR every time I logged in there under the old queue system. And I sometimes go there by choice if I am getting a bit sloppy. I've got better at automatically aiming for the head (and knowing when to). I also practice my hip shooting skills the same way.
    • Up x 1
  6. DarkStarAnubis

Thanks a lot Guys,

My mouse setting are already optimized and the ADS sensitivity is low, it is the mind behind the mouse that needs tweaking :)

I guess I need more deliberate practice to warm-up and I like a lot the 180 degrees trick of Demigan, it should simulate better targets popping up suddenly. Going to Koltyr should be even better, I can practice on real enemies there.

Side note on Koltyr: A couple of days ago I got a bounty and after respawn I found myself in Koltyr, so I decided to practice a bit there. To my surprise, I discovered that kills in Koltyr do count to remove the bounty. Looks like a bug.
  7. Prudentia

bounties are disabled on koltyr, working as intended