Need a definitive answer - Backing up PS2

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by MykeMichail, Nov 16, 2013.

1. MykeMichail

So I'm probably going to have to do a full reinstall of Windows unless someone can work out why I can no longer install or uninstall anything to do with nVidia (all installers and uninstallers say "NVIDIA INSTALLER FAILED").

I would like to avoid downloading Planetside 2 for about the 7th time (original download, Steam Download when I wanted to use Steam Wallet to buy SC, third download from when I tried to validate game files with steam, forth from when I first tried the back-up feature, downloading for my new computer, downloading for my second new computer, entire new download due to transferring it between hard-drives and back-up failed).

I'm using the Steam version, and as you can see, my previous attempts to use Steam, or simply do a direct copy, failed miserably.

The things I've tried in the past were:

- Direct Steam back-up - back-up failed and ruined my install
    - Copying all the PS2 files from my Steam Common folder, installing the game through Steam, putting the copied files into the new steam directory, then repairing install from the PS2 launcher. - This also failed and forced me to download several GB of data.

So I'm wondering if anyone can give me a definitive answer on how this can be done, if it can be done.

I'm not looking for speculation or second had information. I'm looking for first hand confirmation that the method you used worked.

Thanks.
  2. Spanziu

If there only you woudl have regular install there woudl be no problem. I recently reinstalled OS and PS2 worked just fine. Anyway its not what you've asked right? :>

It shoudl work out when you have steam libary on different drive. Simply point steam to that folder with search games.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1768868/reinstalling-steam-games-secondary-drive.html#.
    Seems like its doable but cant give you 100% guarantee. However this shoudl work just fine from technical/logical point of view. Steam first look up for files and cant see any - download them.
  3. A3DELITIST

Dont even need to launch it with Steam, it will work just fine as standalone from any folder, just launch the LaunchPad.exe.
    Can copy it anywhere, make a backup of the entire folder, move it where you like then move it back. If your having issues doing this then i think yes, its time for a new Windows install.
  4. Geneaux

I think we can all agree this issue should come first.
  5. Pixelshader

you could probably use files from your steam install to make a non-steam copy of the game without downloading much
  6. Schwak

Download PS2 onto your SSD and boot it up from there until you fix your driver problem.
  7. MykeMichail

I've been through various forums (namely the GeForce forums, Tomshardware, Sevenforums.com) and no one has found a fix for this which works 100% of the time that doesn't involve reinstalling Windows. I have tried several of the fixes which have worked for various people to no avail.

I think I can trace the root of this issue to the fact that I accidently installed the latest driver versions with Steam running. Basically, I had alt-tabbed out of PS2, forgotten I had it running after walking away from my computer for about 10 minutes, then saw there were updates available for NVidia. I told them to install and when it said it needed to close Steam to install, I clicked okay, thinking Steam would close automatically for me. However because I'd left PS2 running, Steam didn't close, and since then I've had this problem.

Most of the fixes involve either manually editing your registry, or utilising 3rd party programs which I don't want to use.

I figure its probably best to just do a full reinstall so I know I'm working off a clean system install and won't have to deal with any issues that might be created by the various fixes that have been suggested.

NVidia asks people with this problem to enable logging for their installers then upload those logs after the installer fails. If they simply ensured that their installer checked to make sure Steam was closed correctly before commencing the install, I'm sure they'd avoid 90% of these issues.
  8. MykeMichail

Okay, I just confirmed that attempting to back-up PS2 with Steam still fails and instantly deletes all your PS2 game files.

Please SOE, get on to Steam and work together to come to a solution to this absurd problem.
  9. MykeMichail

Okay, redownloading PS2 for the 7th time (maybe the 8th).

As the Steam back-up tool fails every time, I'm wondering if anyone knows if its possible to back-up a FRESH Steam install of PS2? That is, an install that has not been launched, and has had no alterations done by the launcher prior to back-up?