Nebula or Vortex

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Naaahhhhh, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Naaahhhhh

Hello,
    I want to buy my max a new weapon. I have already double comet and blueshift. Next it should be double vortex or nebula. I want to buy the nebula because it has the highest dps of all vanu max weapons. Can somebody recommend me the nebula? I could also invest my certs into double vortex but i have the lancer on ha and the vortex seems to be a weaker version of the lancer or am I wrong?
  2. cobaltlightning

TL;DR Out of the options you listed, I'd go for the Vortex.

The Vortex is like a smaller Lancer, yes, but it actually deals more damage with its max charge up thanks to ignoring a bunch of damage resistances, at least on most vehicles. For example, against a Lightning, its resistance against a full charge vortex is -200%, which is bad for the Lightning, and unless I'm mathing wrong, which the probability is pretty high there, that's 3X the damage.

Let's be safe and go out to Vortex's max range at 400 meters.
    That'd be 600 damage on that Lightning total, not including any directional resistances.
    Now, since the Vortex is a MAX weapon, it can be dual-wielded, making for a total of 1200 damage from a single charge of Both Vortexes.

That's just about half of a Lightning's health at 400+ Meters away (or more accurately about 1/3 - 1/4 because directional resistance is likely). And that's just against a Lightning.

Add into the fact that a Vortex has 12 charges as opposed to the Lancer's 6, and did I mention dual wield? You can snipe at just about anything with enough practice with 'em, and rather versatile now that I think about it.
    Single Shot against Infantry, but use Charge Shots on MAXes and above.

For a pure AV Set-up, Can't go wrong with dual Vortex or dual Comet, but Vortex will give you an extra tick of Versatility to help deal with aircraft or infantry.

The Nebula I feel is the CQC Power-house for the Vanu's MAX, but is about as weak as the Blueshift in that regard, and its high RoF might force you to reload sooner than you'd expect. Personally, I'd stick with a dual Quasar for an Anti-Infantry MAX, but that's because it's probably more cost effective (I mean you get one for free) and the most balanced out of the bunch.

In terms of Accuracy, the Nebula is actually the least accurate out of all MAX AI Weapons, but blooms only slightly less on a per shot basis. The higher RoF means that bloom advantage don't last very long, so I wouldn't use this thing outside.
  3. Liewec123

imho comets are one of the best max AV weapons, so i wouldn't bother with vortex. ;)
  4. Azawarau

That vortex guy above^

Also when vehicles have half health and still think its safe for them to shoot one or two more times you can instantly destroy them

When facing Vanu half health is not safe
  5. Crayv

Since structures can't move things like the Comets and Falcons have found some nice new targets.
  6. Problem Officer

I love Vortex, basically a smaller rapid Lancer with way more ammo.
    Lots of /tells from sniping Flashes. Really high skill ceiling weapons, can become the bane of ESF.
  7. Kubin

A bit of post necromancy here, but what the hell :p

For anyone considering buying Vortexes: DO. IT. NOW. I haven't touch this weapon for nearly 3 years, but when I finally bought them, a whole new world have opened before me. Vehicles aren't safe at the distance up to 400m and Sunderers die after 5 charged-up shots (you have ammo for 4 such shots, so you need to reload at least once, but it's Vanu, so quick reload :D).

Generally speaking - it's a great all-rounder. You can deal with infantry (only spam shots - do NOT charge-up for infantry - you lose net-damage, because the resistance reduction doesn't apply to infantry!), you can deal with all ground vehicles at any range (although you'll prefer longer range) and those you can't directly deal with (because they retreat and repair), you will be a huge deterrence to. You'll find yourself diverting practically all fire from this Prowler line of death towards yourself when you flank them, allowing your allies to advance and thus single-handedly impacting the flow of battle - great feeling.
    You'll also be able to shoot aircraft - at first mostly Gals and Libs at closer distances, but with practice you'll extend your range and you'll be able to engage Valks and ESFs.

Don't repeat my mistake and don't hesitate to buy this weapon. If you consider it - DO IT. But remember - you absolutely, positively, 100% have to own 2 vortexes. One just doesn't have the magic.