(NC) Which shotgun?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by BlackSteel97, Nov 28, 2014.

1. BlackSteel97

Alright forumside, here's the thing:

I have three shotguns on my NC character, the default mauler, the baron g5 and the gd-66 claw. Which one do you recommend me the most and what should I cert; and if none, which one should I buy instead?
  2. Iridar51

3. Nalothisal

Jackhammer is what you want bro.
  4. BlackSteel97

But, as far as I know, the JH is only for HA right? I'm looking for a LA/Engi shotgun
  5. Nalothisal

Then I'd suggest the Sweeper and/or Mauler. Piston is kinda eh for me and I suck too much with the pumps to say much about them.

Though I guess if you want a JH-like gun then get the Baron, (basically it's a watered down version of it).
  6. xxxdevilsownxxx

Is the default shotgun any good? I haven't tried it out yet
  7. _itg

It's on par with the other shotguns (which are pretty well balanced overall, in my opinion). It's about halfway between the Piston (short range) and Baron (long range).

To the OP, I'd recommend avoiding the pump actions for now, and possibly the Baron. These shotguns are fine and all, but they require better aim than the others. The default shotgun will serve you well enough for now. The Piston should be easier to use, but it's probably not worth the certs to you at this point.
  8. Bhudda V1

use the mauler, the benefits of the extra 2 shells of the sweeper are generally useless and in my time running it those 2 shells only saved me about 7 times and the slower than molasses reload got me killed far more than that.

the piston is unbelievably fun to screw around with but the reduced damage on pellets and ever worse cof on it than the sweeper make it a knife range weapon unless your using slugs, tip don't use slug on the piston personal agony will ensue.

don't know about the baron just got it in the anniversary pack.

the pumps are VERY reliant on your skills as a player and your hardware if you got 60 fps all day everyday and pretty good accuracy go for it but even before you try it in combat get a feel for the range you can ohk with it in vr then take it to the field

TL DR: use the mauler there's a reason the dev's gave it to everyone for free; killing cqc p2w arguments it is the best semi-auto shotgun that isn't the Jackhammer use it.
    • Up x 1
  9. BlackSteel97

So maybe the mauler in cqc and the baron with slugs for mid-range since it has the highest muzzle velocity?
  10. miraculousmouse

I'd use the Cyclone or GD7F. About as effective as shotguns, but you don't feel like a noob when you use them.
  11. BlackSteel97

I use the Cyclone as inf and the gd7f with suppressor for a stealthy LA already, it's just that I want to test and correctly use the shotguns I have
    • Up x 1
  12. Iridar51

Baron's slugs don't inherit velocity, they have 300 m/s projectile speed, around the same of other shotguns.
    Because of low velocity and strong damage degradation, slugs are only effective at short range.
  13. BlackSteel97

Well that sucks
  14. Iridar51

Slugs are bad at range for more reasons than just low velocity - strong damage degradation, huge cone of fire and cone of fire bloom. I define semi auto slugs' effective range as < 27m, where they can 3 hit kill a full nano target.
  15. miraculousmouse

Baron then.
  16. TheMercator

The standart shotgun is good, it kills fast enough and has decent range. The large magazine one isn't really better or worse. While it has a 2 more shots in its magazine its range is reduced and it has a longer reload. The automatic piston has an only marginally faster RoF, but much more spread and a longer reload than the other two, I would only recommend it when fighting in a tower or a similiar close ranged area. The baron has higher ranges than all of them, but it shoots and kills slower. The pump action shotguns both are only really better at killing the enemy if you are able to OHK the enemy most of the time.
  17. BlackSteel97

And would you recommend slugs? For the Semi and Auto?
  18. Iridar51

Slugs are often misunderstood, since they make your shotgun shoot powerful bullets at low rate of fire, people naturally conclude "it's similar to a battle rifle / semi-automatic precision weapon!", try to use them at range, fail (or convince themselves they're not failing).

The truth is, slugs don't magically make your shotgun a ranged weapon. It remains a CQC weapon, but effective range does increase by a large margin.

Mostly, shotguns with buckshot are only effective within 3-5m. If you stand still and ADS, you maybe can get 8m before you need to waste a whole mag just to kill one guy.

With slugs you can easily touch targets within 15-20m, but you do have to ADS and make sure to actually aim on target, and taking a semi-automatic weapon that makes every shot count into CQC environment is not a great idea. Any SMG / accurate hip fire user will just run circles around you.

Full-auto slugs don't make it any easier, because shotguns are horribly inaccurate as it is, and slugs reduce that accuracy even further. Shotguns also have high bloom-per-shot value, so after several consecutive shots hitting or not hitting a target mostly depends on luck rather than skill.

Overall, slugs are more of an interesting challenge rather than an effective combat option.

I have an extensive shotgun section in my gunplay guide, where I speak about all of that in greater detail, if you're interested.
  19. BlackSteel97

Thanks, I'll check it out
  20. Jogido

I'd recommend just using them all a little bit without spending certs for attachments then choose the one you like most.

shotguns usually aren't as reliant on attachments as the regular guns