NC Shotgun Advice please

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Knarfis, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Knarfis

So I am starting to look into and researching the shotgun as I am looking at getting one. At the moment I am leaning toward the Sweeper and the pump action, though sounds like a good gun, doesnt interest me.

So any thoughts on the shotguns that are not the pump action?? Any comments would be great

Knarfis
  2. Zaik

Most will disagree, but I really like the new Jackhammer.

Coming from using the Piston, it doesn't require 7 or 8 shots to kill someone who is standing 7m away due to the awful pellet spread. Still two shots infantry that are inside it's max damage range of 12m rather than 8m on the other shotguns.

It's not as good vs. MAXes, but assuming you lead with a dumb fire shot it'll do the job almost as fast as any of the others.
  3. Suroped

Ok man, i need some explanation.
  4. Zaik

The jackhammer does 112x6 damage, every other non-pump shotgun does 143x6, and the pump shotguns do 143x10.

The Jackhammer has the tightest pellet spread of any shotgun in the game, making it better for cutting down normal infantry. The exaggerated hitbox on MAXes makes this less of an issue though, generally you will hit them with every pellet even if you're using an auto shotgun as long as it's within 10m.
  5. Knarfis

WOW, I have to admit. When I got home tonight from work and logged on to view the responses, I under no circumstances expected to see the Jackhammer even once mentioned considering all the complaining about the weapon itself. Futhermore I was expecting more responses in general on this topic.

While I am certainly not going to argue with you on your point, simply because I have no idea what I am talking about. How do you know about this "pellet spread"?? Is there any issue with the Sweeper from your experiences?? I only bring up the sweeper simply because I also play a medic. Getting the Sweeper for my HA, for instance, would also grant my Medic the gun as well. Both my classes I play would benefit from the gun choice. Going with the Jackhammer would only give the HA the gun which would not benefit my Medic at all.

Thanks for the response Zaik

Knarfis
  6. Zaik

Pellet Spread is a real pain in the *** to find in the spreadsheet, but someone already did all the work for us anyway a while ago.

Pellet spread works like a second cone of fire, pellets are randomly distributed inside of it. The numbers for it should be identical in size to cones of fire, so if you can find a weapon with an equal number you should be able to see how large it is.

Jackhammer: 2.5
    6 Mag Semiauto Shotguns: 3
    8 Mag Semiauto Shotguns: 3.5
    Auto Shotguns: 4

The Sweeper has 3.5, as it's got an 8 default magazine size. For some easy weapons to compare these numbers to, the Gauss SAW/T9 CARV have a default standing hipfire CoF of 3, the Orion has a 2.5 standing hipfire CoF, and the SAW/CARV have a walking hipfire CoF of 4. All of that assumes no laser dot.

I don't know what the pellet spread is on Pump Action Shotguns, but they only seem to reliably get one shot kills within 4m or so so I'd assume it's not that good.
  7. wingspan

The Jackhammer alerts enemies to jump, sprint around, and open up on you. Direct hits with the other shotguns rarely gives them a chance to even fire more than a bullet or two. The pump is even better with OHK, if you can aim well.

Opening up with a shotgun at long range is a bad idea. Use props or at worst, zig-zag sprint to your enemy to close to lethal distance before firing.
  8. ladiesop

I use the sweeper. I sometimes wish I got the Mauler (more accurate/smaller spread on top of faster reload might be better with extended mags), rarely, though not often, I consider I should have got the Piston.

That said, sometimes you miss or not enough pellets hit due to erratic movement and multiple targets so having the extra shots means a difference between starting a long reload and a kill.

One more thing: the Sweeper and other 8 magazine shotguns have a larger ammo pool. I do find myself running low quite often, and I would be empty with one of the other shotguns at this time (but this is usually with Light Assault rather than Heavy, so you will be isolated and away from friendly engineers for longer). You could take ammo bandolier, but you miss out on the other suit slots if you do, so it helps on that trade-off.
  9. Zaik

I don't know what world you live in where two shotguns that both do two hit kills somehow function differently.
  10. wingspan

One does less damage, and the rest do more. It's not that it can't kill with 2 perfect shots up close, it's that it doesn't do it as reliably as other shotguns.

When you fight someone and all of the pellets don't connect, especially if they are using a better shotgun, the Jackhammer is a liability. If you engage at long ranges with the Jackhammer, supposedly its advantage, you will not kill them in 2 shots. There are better weapons outside point-blank range.

That's just the way it is. If you like your Jackhammer, fine, whatever. There are just better options if someone's shopping for weapons.
  11. irishroy

and what's the spread for the pump action shotties?
    just what do you think?
    bigger than the full-auto?
    or like the semiauto with 8 mags?
  12. DuckSauce

The spread for the current pump-action is 3 degrees.
    Unless the data changes when the weapon is released, the second pump-action also has a 3 degree spread.
  13. Turiel =RL=

GET A PISTON!!!
    • Up x 1
  14. ColdCheezePizza

wait until the new pumps before you decide on a shotty, if the first pumps are like handheld hacksaws, then the new one will probably be mini scattercannons with more range.
    • Up x 1
  15. Kedric

I would say buy the pump shotgun, but like ColdCheezePizza just said you might as well wait and see what the next round of pump shotties is like before deciding. There is definitely no point to buying anything other than a pump shotty, though, since the ability to one-hit-kill with a body shot gives you complete dominance over every other weapon in the game in CQC.
  16. VKhaun

If you press the select fire button, the jackhammer has a three round burst mode.
    Proper comparison would thus be:

112x18= 2,016
    vs
    143x6 = 858
    vs
    146x10 = 1,460
  17. Frosty The Pyro

the three round burst is not simultanious, the autoshotties will pump out 3 rounds just a we bit faster than the jackhamer will when using its burst.
  18. Zaik

It's not a triple fire, the burst fire fires as fast as an auto shotgun.
  19. Goretzu

If (and it is a HUGE if) the JH triple-shotted like it did in PS1 (and as you are suggesting it does above), then it would be a great weapon, but it doesn't.

People say it fires as fast as the Piston in triple-shot, but IME it fires as fast as the non-autoshotguns if you are firing them as fast as you can (for 3 shots anyway), which is a bit slower.
  20. Phaselancer

I bought a Piston, never looked back. It is a beast when in close quarters, the only downside is it tends to go through ammo like candy.