NC mid-range combat - new weapon usefull at all?

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by RedNoak, Nov 26, 2012.

1. RedNoak

hello,

most of my cert spending was going towards the healing aspect... but since, like most medics, i play as an offensive combat medic, the time has come for a new weapon

but here is the problem... wich one should be picked and will a change of weapons make THAT kind of a difference...

i mostly faced with midrange combat, say up to 30m and occasionally find myself in situations where i fire shots at long range targets... the default weapon feels ok... but it's missing the "edge" in mid-long range fighting

so theoretical a new weapon seems like the ultimate answer, but... lets take a look at the avaible options:

gauss S
    u could argue, that the gauss S would be a good choice, since the default weapon cant upgrade its ammo, so no high vel. rounds.
    BUT the NC weapons already kick like a stuborn mule, so after purchasing the HV rounds one should set for the compensator...to...well...compensate^^ and to be honest, i personally dont find the drop or velocity of the normal rounds that kind of a problem.
    then there is the soft point ammo.
    -5% in close combat is not that much of a factor... but the -15% at long range + the higher drop, seems to be its downfall
    sure 15,5% more damage at midrange is really nice, but at long ranges u can forget to kill someone

N11a
    i tried the N11a... it "feels" a bit better at long range, BUT not by that much.
    sure the +5 ammo is nice and u get SP or HV ammo, but is it really worth 1000certs + upgrade costs?

so what else is there?
    the GR22 doesnt seem to fit in mid-long range
    the DMR seems to be a bit crappy (who wants to semifire an AR anyway :p) <--- wow, c r a p p y is an indexed word?!

so there are basically 3 options.

first the N11a. a bit better at mid-long. a bit more ammo. could load SP ammo for the occasional bio-lab war.
    so overall, u're getting a small, frikking EXPENSIVE, boost to your overall fighting abilitys

secondly the gauss S. the same as the default weapon but with more avaiable gadgets, SP and HV ammo and a nice thing called underbarrel (a grenadelauncher sounds tasty).
    so u're getting an option to adapt your gun. the mid range effectivness of the weapon will increase (due to the ammo and underbarrel attachment) and to a reasonable pricing. but the weapon still remains basically the same and suffers a long range penalty sice u cant use the underbarrel and the foregrip at the same time.

thirdly, **** it all. stay with your default weapon stick a foregrip under the gun and save your points for health and utility upgrades.
    thats cheap and usefull... but no new weapon, so it doesnt feel like christmas at all :(

so what do you guys think?
    wich option is the best or am i missing something?
  2. Dornez

I have the gauss S simply because it is the only gun that will take the underbarrel grenade launcher, which is awesome when it works (currently bugs and does 0 dmg)

I also have the compensator for the gauss S and I can say with 100% certainty it does NOTHING helpful. The nerf to hipfire definitely happens but the reduction to vertical recoil while using ironsights does not happen at all. I have tested thoroughly with burst or full auto with and without the compensator and the results are the same.
  3. RedNoak

hmm i just seen that u cant have a foregrip + an underbarrel at the same time, so i edited the text.

@dornez
    do you use HV rounds? maybe the vert. recoil red. only works if u use HV ammo.
  4. Dornez

Tried all 3 ammunition soft, HV, and standard, no change with or without the compensator. I don't think it is bugged, I just think the difference it makes is so minimal I can't tell the difference.

I would most definitely get the gauss s for the underbarrel smoke/grenades, when they work they are amaizing. But save your certs, the compensator isn't worth it yet.
  5. RedNoak

i dont know if the underbarrel is that kind of an advantage...
    the shotgun feels unessacary the closecombat seems to be fine as it is. i activate my healing aura and win almost every "in-fight".
    and as for the grenadelauncher... yes, as i said... sounds tasty^^

but... u dont get the foregrip. so u can kiss longrange byebye. and the midrange effectivness is reduced.

oh and btw. sice u have the grenadelauncher, care to answer a couple of questions? :)
    how many grenade-rounds u get?
    does it have a nice splash against infantry or is it better against MAX's and/or light vehicles?

EDIT:
    is there a way to switch off these annoying smiley pics?
  6. Ozymandias

Also, I'd like to point out that I don't think SOE expects anyone to save 1000 certs to buy a gun. They expect you to spend $2.50, $5 or $7 for them. That being said, my vote is for the NS11-A. It is the most versatile cert wise. The only thing it is missing is the under barrel options, but consider that it slows down weapon swapping. As a medic, I constantly swap between med tool and main, so that's a big negative for me, but each his own.
    The GR-22 was my first choice because I could actually had a chance to win 1 on 1 vs a TR in close combat, but with soft point ammo on the NS11 it seems to do ok as well.
    Plus it sounds awesome. :)
  7. schwarzklang

I like the NS11 with my Vanu Medic. This weapon+yellowish camo and NC wont shoot me first.. ;)
  8. Ozymandias

Exactly this. I think the main thing camo does is make everyone look more alike. Plus with that gun... Borderline unfair.. Hehe
    But again, Vanu tech can be stolen! NC will be pew pewing I hope to make it a little more fair.
  9. Ashnal

I'd like to point out that the Reaper DMR supports full auto firing mode, and is worth a look for long range combat.
  10. RedNoak

yeah i didnt thought abaut that. you're absolutly right.
    that plus you dont get the foregrip makes it kinda usless.
    only plus would be the softpoint ammo.

but with SP ammo its kinda useless in the long range buisness same goes for the NC11a. yes it has a higher RoF and less recoil but it does less damage than the gauss.
  11. Ozymandias

It is the nature of this game that you have to choose your strengths and weaknesses. But that's why they have different loadouts for different situation. Tower assaults, either the GS-22 or NS11 with soft point. Tower defenses or out in the open assaults (bridge battle, etc) take the NS11 with Hard point (or no ammo attached if you can't afford both).
    This game is ALL about adapting to the situation.
  12. xpsyclosarinx

Honestly I'm using the NS11 ATM. I run a specops outfit on briggs so the NS11 (has a stock higher muzzle velocity then others) with a silencer and high velocity rounds is brilliant (not to mention it sounds really good). People tend to underestimate how effective a silencer can be, especially with other squaddies with it too.

My current NS11-A is,

+Foregrip
    +Highvelocity Ammo (or soft pt depending on the situation
    +Silencer
    +x2 reflex sight
    +Forest Greyscale camo