NC MAX weapon questions

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Nehlis, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Nehlis

2 at the moment.
    First, what is the point of the scattercannon? It seems outclassed by every other NC AI MAX weapon in some respect. Even the Grinders outclass it as a middle of the road due to the better ammo cap.
    Second, anyone have any tips on how to use the AEGIS shield effectively? If someone is shooting from above do I have to angle up and if I do does that leave my toes vulnerable to explosives?
    • Up x 1
  2. IronMouse

Would like to know the same.
  3. Goretzu

1) there is no general NC AI MAX weapon.
    Grinders and pellets (and extended mags) for 0-13m range and against other MAXs, Mattocks with slugs (and extended mags) for everything else (with pellets too YMMV).

2) honestly Charge is still usually better, offensively or defensively.
  4. FunBotan

Just took a second falcon and use them for everything to not bother.
  5. LaughingDead

Scatter cannon is a semi auto shotgun, you have to sort of time your engagement so that you are in optimal reach of your target, if you're new, a blast of a falcon and a scatter kills most infantry.

Being semiauto, you still have to shoot more than one blast if you only use that weapon, time a reload then pull up the aegis to defend yourself during a painfully long reload. Scatters are faster to reload than grinders which makes them better in shorter runs when you need more dps than ammo.

Also hug cover, you love cover
  6. _itg

1) The devs made some bizarre balance choices when designing the MAX AI weapons. TR has the worst example, actually, where the Mutilator has EXACTLY the same stats as the default Heavy Cycler, except the Mutilator has a massive mag size bonus, extra velocity, and a tiny penalty to the long reload, which you can totally avoid with the 40 free bullets. As far as Scattercannons go, the only reason to ever use them is that it's slightly cheaper to cert out a matching set, or else that you're hunting for Auraxium medals. They're not much worse than the alternatives, though.

2) My number one tip is to use Charge instead. You're always going to be vulnerable using the shield, since you can't shoot back, you can't block c4, you can't block fire from all directions, and you can't block rockets on reaction due to clientside and the sluggish equip animation. Charge lets you venture out of your safe zone much farther, since you can sprint home at the first sign of trouble, and in particular, you can dodge c4 by getting out of the way.
  7. LaughingDead

Actually you can block C4, I'm PRETTY SURE I've done it a few times (or mightve been luck, either or) and a ton of heavy assaults make the mistake of using a rocket launcher on the max with aegis out, it makes them incredibly vulnerable to return fire from teammates, unfortunately not many new players take advantage of this state and simply rely on the max. In coordinated teamplay this could actually be a viable tactic.
  8. Azawarau

I block rockets on reaction

The way i see it NC max is the one that least needs charge

Then again im completely biased against charge because i see it as trivial compared to the bonuses lockdown and shield offer
  9. Armcross

Keep practicing anti-vehicle gun on everything. And someday just like my duel pounder, it's anti-everything. Keep in mind that to keep a decent distance. Too close might give you trouble. But really too close you just slap them with your hydraulic metal arm.

Even with just rank 1 charge and shield they gonna give you advantage. I like my shield alot. But above all nanite auto repair should be your #1 priority.
  10. DRCUNT

shield blocks aoe , also c4 . instead of being a dork and running from it , pull shield and look at it.
    nanite auto repair is for lone wolf idiots who play with out engi support , get gud and get flak armor
    so one HA with a decimator won't be able to hand you your *** on a silver platter
  11. Blackomen

Terrible advice all-around. For someone telling people to "git good" you need a helping of that advice yourself.

Now the ageis shield can indeed absorb some of a C4's damage if your pointing the shield right at it when it goes off, however C4 is comically high damage and will break your shield and still do the remaining damage to you, a tier 1 ageis will just let you survive bare;y without flak armor. (15-20% hp left depending on distance.) A maxed aegis will leave you with around 60% hp. So yes it helps, but it doesn't let you laugh at c4.

Nanite auto repair is almost essential in "most" cases, if your using a max for anything OTHER than max crashing a cap, (or if you have a pocket engie) you should be using it and ranking it up. For max crashes, you should typically be using armor upgrade, or flak armor. Usually small arms fire or rpgs will be what kills you in a crash. And since rpgs are god and unlike this confused fellow above, the rest of us know that direct rpg hits aren't resisted by flak armor, the small arms armor is usually better, the only time I recommend flak armor is if your the first person to charge in with the enemy deploying c4 and tank mines.
    • Up x 2