NC max, the unsustainable wonder of ps2.

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Apples, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Apples

I've made valid points from the get go, people have posted many stats to which I referenced that you can find by reading through the thread again (seeing as you've posted since early on). I assure you, there are issues with NC AI MAX. Now I could go back and forth repeating what I've said in different wordings and you can continue to repeating yourself but in the end this will accomplish nothing, I stand by what I've said and I leave it at that with you.
    • Up x 1
  2. Kalivix

<sigh>. Well first off dark colours does help at night time, it might not be a game changer but VS are definitely harder to see at night.

As for stats most of those show stats from the entire life of the game so are worthless.

If you ever played NC you'd quickly see how bad shotgun MAXs are, TR/VS AI guns have instakill anyway pretty much as they have such a small TTK, the only thing we kill faster that is useful is MAXs up close, in exchange though we get almost no range and a tiny clip. I've tried playing the NC MAX SO SO many times, and even invested a fair few certs in upgrades to see if it helps but I've always ended up with shorter kill streaks than I get on a HA or LA, right now my MAX is just a AA MAX as its AI use is almost non existent.

I can only imagine the people who think the NC MAX is useful are those who farm in biolabs non stop, the ONLY place our MAX is kind of helpful (though even the rooms in there are way to big to shoot across) and have never used it themselves, I've tried out the TR and VS MAX and they are both SOOOOOO much better, you can easily clear a room with them as people can't avoid you by standing on the opposite side of the room, that and the huge clips and ability to hold down shoot (seriously clicking for each shot ruins accuracy) make it way easier to slaughter groups.

So I say again, get rid of these awful shotguns and give us some mega cannons like TR and VS have PLEASE!! or do another idea I saw and reduce our CQC damage to be about the same as TR/VS (not much of a nerf really) but make them have 30m range, a clip of say 12-16 and let us hold down to shoot with ALL of them.
  3. Tyshon

Hey cowboy I'll trade you NC max for TR max anyday.
    • Up x 1
  4. MrForz

Most of the avid NC MAX users often establish a love - hate relationship with their suit. It's devastating, borderline overpowered in close range and useless on open field. It's not that bad because whoever says open field also says ground/air vehicles. Therefore the MAXes often switch to AA or AV. But on the rare occasions where you get zerged on open field by a massive amount of infantry you... well, you can't pull out a NC MAX to halt the progression unless you want to try your luck (and be disappointed) with a pair of Mattocks and slug shells.
  5. Xasapis

I see this discussion regarding differences between empires a lot. VS for example love to comment on how weak their MBT feels as an actual tank. Now I see this comment on how NC can't use their MAXes in the open field, like perhaps other empires can. Is this necessarily a bad thing though? I know that perhaps what I say may be unpopular, but what if empire differences were actual meaningful and not just skin deep? We have reached a point where the majority of infantry weapons can be seen through all empires and if not, an NS variant covers gaps. We also hardly see any mention about new empire specific vehicles or weapons. Unfortunately every empire is almost a carbon copy of every other empire besides the following:
    • The tanks and their effective roles
    • ESFs are way too similar at this point, besides their air to ground weapons
    • ESHW, aka the Lasher, Minigun and Jackhammer.
    • AV weapons on the Harassers
    • MAXes and their AV weapons to a bigger degree, AI only between VS&TR and NC
    That's pretty much it. Everything else feels interchangeable instead of unique. And I've heard both TR and VS complain on how they are the NS empire.

Would it have been a bad idea if one empire had really weak tanks but really strong infantry anti vehicle options? One empire really strong air units, but really weak anti air options? And so on? Is it such a crime for the NC MAX units to trade their outdoor anti infantry potential for strong indoors one?
  6. Covah

The NC max has a design problem in PS2 due to the "1 gun on each arm" ******** that SOE changed from PS1 just to sell 2 weapons.

In PS1 the scatter MAX had only 1 weapon with 3 fire modes : wide pellet spread high rate of fire / medium pellet spread medium rof / and freakin sniper shotgun with low rof.

Was much better balanced for both user and victim.

Shotgun max cannot be balanced ATM.
    It's godlike <15m and average with slugs <30m.
  7. MrForz

I've never said anywhere that it's something that I'm personally against, and I completly see your final point which is something I agree on. As I said. It's not that bad because the said MAXes still have an use against vehicles and air.
  8. Xasapis

It wasn't really an answer to what you said. I was merely inspired by your comment to express an opinion towards the general direction the game is taking.
  9. MrForz

Oh, uh, well. Alright. Sorry. ,_,
  10. Apples

While in theory no it doesn't sound bad but it makes balancing extremely difficult in terms of development both in balance of power but also balance of resource consumption. The issues I've mentioned over the course of this thread that afflict the NC AI MAX cause many shortfalls by comparison but also a serious lack of willingness for players to spawn as an AI MAX while also having no comparative counter in other areas as you're suggesting. What many people miss in regards to NC vs TR/VS when it comes to AI MAXes is that yes the NC shotgun may kill with fewer bullets but the longer time reloading and between shots is part of it and that in those same close ranges the TR/VS max TTK dramatically drops as well but with more sustained fire time and a quicker reload. Without slugs even in biolabs it exposes the MAX a great deal because at just a few meters out they fall short so heavies can just keep out of this distance and spam rockets as you try to close the gap or are forced to retreat. Slugs give a bit of a range perk but their accuracy is very unreliable in my opinion and the damage drops as well meaning less fire time and damage potential with what are still rather long reload times. (And just for the hell of it, anybody actually wonder how and where the MAX units are reloading from? You'd think that the way the arms are set it'd have to be a constant feed since there are no mags/batteries and a heat mechanic would be more in line.)
  11. Liewec123

my 2 certs, if they fixed the million Aegis bugs and actually made it reliable then that would be a perfect way of solving the "we only have 10 shots and then we're dead" problem that we have as NC maxes trying to push.
  12. MrForz

Aaaah, the Aegis shield. It actually was a decent way to remedy to the long reloading times. I don't remember how long this unable-to-fire bug has been around for now.
    • Up x 1
  13. ZZYZX

We already had that, in PS1.

It was yet another awesome, useful feature they removed and never brought back. Kinda like being able to warp your vehicle or your max to another location...(you guys still working on that, or should I call Blizzard to help you out?).
  14. MasterTater

Need to be nerfed - broken overpowred in terms that TR / VS have absolutely no correlating overpowered weapon on stock. Range too long / dmg too high / wireguided over longrange making evasion impossible (dont bullsheit me its hard to aim with - I am pro without practise on the Engineer Rocket Turrent and hit every shot with a lil bit of pre-aim and imagination).