NC Max Riot Shield

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by ThePackage, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Messaiga

I might like this, I might like this a lot. I would say Add a Sword or Shield Bash melee attack when it is up, make us move faster akin to the way VS's ZOE works but in return make the shield 50% less effective than it is now, because 20k Health on the level 5 shield is over kill. Basically we would end up with a Max that has shotguns, a Sword and Shield or just a Shield, the Sword (Or shield bash) should 2 hit kill infantry, 5 hit kill Max's, and we gain 10% more speed per level starting with level 1, so at level 5 you would move 50% faster. This is my 2 cents but I feel like the VS would feel shafted because speed is supposed to be there thing. I just want some sort of offensive capabilities while we have it up, even if it is melee, and if it were melee we would need the speed to use it properly.
  2. Rhapsody

Just to be clear, that c4 was set off at my feet, about 2ft infrunt of me at the time =)

i wasnt standing 100% directly ontop of them.
  3. Lepalose

I disagree that using the Shield should give you even greater movement speed. At best, I could argue that for an extremely small HP shield you could reach sprinting speeds (with the same buildup time as regular sprinting). But then the tradeoff would definitely be taking away most of the damage-absorption capabilities for that additional movement speed.

The whole point of the Shield is that is defensive in purpose. It allows you to survive a lot more damage then any other faction. It allows you to move into positions that you can then use your weapons most effectively, or it forces the enemy from the favourable positions that their holding. The point is that NC MAXes are going to be even more difficult to kill (and they are hard enough already). To ask for more survivability AND more killing power is just ludicrous, or well bias.

I get it, you want everything. It would be like me saying "Being in Lockdown means that our MAXes should get massive damage resistance to all incoming fire since we're not mobile". No. That would be a bad decision. As would be add offensive capabilities to a defensive ability - the same ability that already allows you to get into the optimal range of your primary weapons.
  4. Messaiga

Maybe not greater movement speed, but not like we want everything, I even made a thread where I stated that we should be able to sprint and have a melee attack when the shield is up, but in return I thought to reduce the durability of the shield by 25% on all levels. I really don't see how it can be used defensively because you cannot run away with it as protection since it is front facing, and the only situation where I see this working at the moment is attempting to Solo a Magrider by turning the shield on and off between reloads of the Magrider up close, then you fire dual falcons and bring it back up. Any other place where you can see this working cause I cannot think of anything else.
  5. Lepalose

Incoming aircraft strafe? Put up your shields then hit him after he is done. Liberator reloading? Drop your shields and unload until he is firing again. Heavy firing rockets at you? Shield up, then drop him after he fires. TR Max locked down? Shield up until he reloads (then drop shield and recharge it) as you move to get in close and flank him. Pushed too deep? Put on shield and walk backwards towards your friendly lines and get repairs and ammo. Holding a location? Put a shield MAX in the doorways protecting everyone inside. Then cycle MAXes so that another can recharge its shield while the first is preventing anything from getting through.

I think it is going to be a very powerful tool, and as with anything subject to how they balance it. Its not that I don't want to see it in the game, I am just trying to suggest that it is more effective then what people have been posting about it.

Also, I do understand the desire for a melee aspect. But here is why I do not think they would add it. Basically, if you are in the range of the Hacksaws, even another MAX will not have any chance to kill the NC MAX in the first place. If you add in the capability to do damage while basically being invulnerable for a time? Then you are going to be dooming all other MAXes in even 2 vs 1 battles - which Hacksaws can already win quite often.

Obviously though, that will be subject to how they balance how much damage the shield can actually take, and how quick it recharges.
  6. Messaiga

I see what you mean, I did some extensive testing today on the test server and I found that I was able to use it to avoid enemy Max fire, wait till they reload, and Unload my Mattocks on them. it currently absorbs 20k damage, which is more than any other VEHICLE can take before exploding. Also you forgot one: Need to repair? Put your shield up while you watch your actual health rise if you equipped Nanite Auto Repair or protect the engineer behind you. I think the recharge speed is kinda too fast, at the moment it takes 7 seconds to recharge from empty to full compared to charge's total of 30 seconds at level 5. I would say if they extend the recharge time it would be fine absorbing the amount of damage that it takes at the moment. Also I tested this against a Lockdown TR Max with extended mags mutilators, with 1 clip of dual mutilators extended mags he could take down 2 Aegis Shields. So maybe make the recharge time 21 seconds flat, but make it so the extra levels only increase shield strength by the current increments. I still love the idea of a Max with a Sword and Shield though. I really do hope they make the shield a solid object so you can potentially stop vehicles from running you over, prevent friendlies and enemies from running through you, and I also really hope they fix the 2 following bugs: Lockdown making the TR Max Invulnerable, and the NC Max being unable to fire after deactivating the shield. Once those are fixed I think we will see some amazing results with the NC Max Aegis Shield.
  7. korpisoturi

THEORY :"Incoming aircraft strafe? Put up your shields then hit him after he is done"

REALITY: dropping shield takes allmost as long as reload /mosq/scythe so NC max have very little time to actually shoot back bafore new salvo is alredy coming..

THEORY: "Heavy firing rockets at you? Shield up, then drop him after he fires"

REALITY: "heavy"/ANY class firing/throwing rockets/explosives side OR just behind max shield (constant splash damage what NC max cant avoind no matter what.

see the pattern ?
  8. korpisoturi

"Put your shield up while you watch your actual health rise if you equipped Nanite Auto Repair"

1 bullet or even splash damage and you auto repair is disrupted
  9. Lepalose

I see, so being protected and then getting some shots in on aircraft is not good enough. You want what, to be able to be protected and destroy aircraft? I'm sorry, but there is a trade-off for the protection. And secondly, as AA MAX you typically get to be the first one to engage the aircraft and can get the better part of your clip out before they can pick you up. And then with shield you can protect yourself once he does? That is a powerful ability.

Splash damage is pretty minimal, its not so easy to damage the MAX from the front by hitting just behind the MAX. Yes, you are exposed on the back and sides, should the enemy get into a flanking position - and that is not always possible, but the damage from wasted attempts to damage you with splash is really not going to be significant.
  10. Nobalification

for now riot shield have very good absorbation. For now its ok. Only bring the Riot shield def point on sides and take them ability to anchor with shield. (Not anchor like TR have but different) No bonuses to dmg, reload, velocity but u can move only your head to sides and double your shield power. Maybe NC stop crying about TR nerfing anchor mode.
  11. Zaik

actually use it instead of pretending you know how it works.
  12. Messaiga

The Shield takes any splash damage from the front of you, and if you are not too bad, and you saw the C4 the LA dropped or something then you are gonna walk backwards from the C4 and once it detonates, voila, you live. Even better, after it detonates and the LA has not escaped yet you can go ScatMax him. I would know, I have done this in the test server, even though I know it is probably gonna change at some point I really think that the 20k health it currently has is balanced, they just need to extend the recharge time and allow us to sprint with the shield up. I actually sent a /tell to Higby asking if they had thought about a melee attack with the Shield on the NC Max and he gave me an answer that is like a maybe.
  13. Tricky

We did actually, a few of went on the test server for a few hours and tested all the MAX's and their new abilities and yes, you can easily close a 50m gap between you and a locked down DC max.
  14. Zaik

if he's AFK?

i know the shield absorbs the damage, but any non awful TR max is just going to get up and move while you shuffle about at the speed of failure.

as soon as you see the shield you know that MAX can never get close enough to kill you unless you let it, so...y'know...don't.
  15. Lepalose

Move where in a fight? Towards him? No, that just plays into his hands. Move away... okay, to where, and from where? If you are holding down an SCU room, backing away because a shield MAX is headed your way is not exactly a favourable tactic. You do not even have many places that you can back away to. And if you don't keep your guns on target then he can drop his shield, recharging it and start sprinting to get closer.

Bluntly then, the NC MAX is accomplishing a goal then without even firing a shot then and you don't think this is effective?

But again, the point is that even in situations that currently would seem to favour TR MAX's DPS capabilities (medium range, locked down, no cover between you and target) you will not win these engagements with current setup.
  16. Messaiga

Hey guys, they fixed the bug where you cannot fire after you put the shield up and back down, which means we can actually test combat effectiveness of it and other abilities in Max duels, assuming they fixed VS Max ZOE + Flamethrower and the Lockdown Max being invincible in Lockdown mode somehow.
  17. Zaik

i don't think being pinned to a corner next to an objective you can't capture without being killed counts as "accomplishing". if you sit on the objective you'll be whittled down before the SCU pops, if you chase the guy you'll never catch him but never die, and if you or they aren't alone then this whole argument completely falls apart.
  18. Messaiga

I wonder, if you are using the NC Max Riot Shield and the SCU or Generator blows up with the Riot Shield facing the explosion does it still kill you or do you survive with no damage dealt to yourself?
  19. Lepalose

Regarding number 1, you just cleared the objective for friendlies. That is effective.

Regarding point number 2, you would take a whole ton of more "whittling" when defending a location then you would without the shield. That is an improvement.

Regarding number 3, the 1v1 argument is indeed one consideration that would break down in a multiperson scenario. But it is a point of view that is important to consider.

Also, I agree with Messaiga that it would be interesting to know if the shield protects from generator explosions, just from a mechanics stand point.
  20. Zaik

it should work like every other explosive, so yeah I'd imagine it does block it if you face it.

you can lay down a stack of 5 tank mines and whip out the shield and have someone shoot them, it works fine.