NC Hacksaw is too effective in MAX duels

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Cryptek, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Arcanum

But but but it has shotguns... have you ever seen a robot survive a shotgun to the face?! (also pellets don't even trigger the headshot damage multiplier, don't know what the guy quoted above meant with "jumping and crouching to avoid headshots" especially in a max which is so much bigger and slower that it has a hard time dodging rockets)

Play to your strenghts. Just stay out of CQC/be farmed and everything is alright.
  2. Eric Smith

RL Shotguns don't penetrate solid armor worth cr@p. If MAXes are anything, they're supposed to be walking blocks of solid armor.

Ever seen Terminator 2?

So avoid Generator Fights, SCU Fights, Cap Point Fights, and BioLabs when the NC are there? Right...
  3. Arcanum

Pay attention, that was a joke post.
  4. DogEgg01

This whole thread is a joke coming from a Vanu .....
  5. Eric Smith

Sorry, on forums I don't even bother turning my sarcasm meter on unless I see a smiley.
  6. Jaloro

I seem to be in the minority but I quite like coming across an NC Max as a VS. If you maintain range they are easier than TR to deal with. You just have to outthink them.

Of course if you let them close on you you are dead. So dont let them close on you.
  7. Cryptek

The difference is that you will not find anything as effective as the NC MAX when it comes to indoors fighting, like a biolab or any other place that isn't littered with windows for tanks to shell through.

If you go up against a NC MAX as infantry and you're indoors (which you will need to be, since points and generators are in there) you will die. This is okay, it's more effective at this than other MAXes but whatever.

If you go up against a NC MAX as a MAX in the same setting, you're also dead. This is not okay, because it makes the TR/VS MAXes utterly pointless.

Again no one in this thread has said 'nerf the NC MAX so much that it cannot be used against anything' everyone has offered the very rational 'nerf it's damage vs MAXes' if you whine about range, sure have some range, like I care.. But you being able to dish out so much damage, that any MAX that gets within 15 meters of you dies without you needing to reload, is broken.

Not a single person in this thread, has argued why a nerf against MAXes and ONLY MAXes should not happen, it's okay that you win every time, it's not okay that you win by this much, I should be able to take at least half your health before biting the dust, because this way I can at least push you with engineers behind me, not be limited to 'have enough men to feed you certs until you reload'.

Everyone single one defending it have been unwilling to give an inch or meet TR/VS halfway, essentially going 'don't touch my broken toys, I don't want it fixed'
  8. Anonynonymous

Yeah, really reminds me of all those Magrider threads.
    • Up x 1
  9. LordMondando

Does this not somewhat presume NC max shotgun attachments should be a special case in Max's vs. small arms fire?
  10. Haskaal

All these whines are based out of max vs max and CQC. Quasars and chainguns have ROF over scats, and more effective range over it. This clearly means, if it's solely a max vs max scenario, you don't engage an NC max at close range with your med-ranged max gun. The way I see it is if you're a VS or TR max, you go close-med range against infantry and med-far range against NC maxes. You can't expect your med-ranged chainguns or quasars to win all CQC fights, that right is reserved for CQC-purposed weapons like shotguns. And remember you can't cap points, SCUs, or overload gens with a max, so your role is to support infantry as they move in to the objective. VR and TR maxes stay behind the infantry and give suppressive fire, NC maxes go to the front as they are purposed that way.

VS and TR maxes: med-far range.
    NC maxes: close range.

This is fair, just play your max how it's supposed to be played.

Also, maxes aren't designed or solely purposed to kill other maxes.
  11. Haskaal

It was implied, and he brought up a legitimate point.
  12. darkagent

the NC hacksaw is perfectly fine for what it does. its a CQB gun. if it kills you at close range move out to medium rand and attack the max there. if you keep running iinto the max over and over your just repeating you idiocy and giving the max kills. have i ever told you the definition of insanity?
  13. Nature

Are people just too stupid to use HA rockets against Maxes or wtf. Who the hell cares about KDR in planetside2, pop shield peek around the corner and shoot where the max is. If the max/engi is just around the corner, bounce some nades from the doorway and then go. God damn people learn to think and stop being a ***** and do what is needed.
  14. Hypersot

Hacksaw is perfect, leave it as it is. I totally enjoy NC maxes when they appear as they make me use specific tactics to take them out.. or not :)

as darkagent above me said, you close to an NC max you're as good as dead, you keep your distance you can even solo it if you're good enough
  15. Cryptek

Try walking a mile with quasars, before you say you can engage anything beyond close range with them. The TTK is so long that at medium range an enemy can take half your health before going down. (if he aims for the head, otherwise a quarter)

Again you address nothing but just throw statements out there, with nothing to back up the reason why it should be as it is.

NC MAX can defend and assault a generator/point more effectively than any other MAX, to the point where it is impossible for other MAXes to do anything. TR/VS Are too inaccurate to go outside and be effective since they'll miss 90% of the shots at anything beyond 20-30 meters.

Even if you gave TR/VS MAXes iron sight or some other way to actually be as accurate as normal infantry, it doesn't change the fact that ANY infantry running around outside a base is largely irrelevant, you win base fights and especially biolabs by going into CQC. Since last I checked my quasars did not have magic wall penetrating bullets, that allowed me to engage a NC MAX at range when he's hiding inside a biolab, could you then please tell me how I am supposed to engage him? Since saying 'stay at range' doesn't really cut it when he dictates the battlefield, either by assaulting me when I'm defending or by defending.
  16. Haskaal

17. Cryptek

really now, that cleared up everything for me!... Except wait, it didn't at all.

The effective range of a TR/VS MAX is already very limited, the cone of fire is so big that you'll hit your allies unless they leave a wide area empty in front of you, thus the only purpose of having them in front of you is to shove them even closer to your MAX so it's easier to kill them, not a sound strategy.

Meanwhile your infantry can stay neatly behind, and expect to win because there's actually an effective MAX in front of them.

MAXes with engineers behind them are the closest thing to mobile cover all factions have, so saying 'VS/TR MAXes should stay behind the squishy infantry' is stupidity on a whole new level.

IF TR/VS MAXes weren't giant, inaccurate behemoths then maybe that argument would have had merit.. as it stands it's just random flailing and grasping for a reason to keep something that's blatantly OP.

It doesn't matter if MAXes arn't solely purposed on killing other MAXes, if one MAX is so blatantly better at killing the others, that even grabbing anti-vehicle guns, which SHOULD be the MAX killers will not help you, then how is that balance in any way. You already have shotguns that'll allow you to instagib infantry and therefor avoid all the whittling down TR/VS MAXes suffer, because unless they're in absolute CQC, then you'll be shot back at and take damage. If NC MAXes didn't absolutely destroy me in CQC then I'd have no problem with that, but it just so happens to be the case, meaning you have to stay at a very ineffective range with your MAX out of fear, that a NC MAX will round the corner and murder you before you can hit sprint.

we're not talking something like 0.5 seconds faster TTK here.. or 1 second.. We're talking you will be vaporized with engineers behind you, before you can take off a quarter of your enemies health. NO other faction balance is this heavily skewed.
  18. JackOfClubs

For the longest time my AI loadout was a Hacksaw and a slugged Mattock, but hearing all these complaints prompted me to try out dual Hacksaws. Honestly I was unimpressed. I lost three-quarters of my range and gained an almost insignificant advantage in CQC. Then, as my trail period hit an end, I ran into a VS MAX maybe seven or eight metres away. He melted like butter in a pit filled with magma.

I bought the second Hacksaw to confirm my suspicions, and I'm fairly certain at this point in time that you are attempting to address a symptom of a problem rather than the problem itself. I cannot count how many times some infantryman or another was standing a few metres outside my effective range and managed to survive both magazines. I also can't count how many times a MAX was standing a roughly equal distance away and was brought below half health by the same acions.

The Hacksaw actually feels more effective against enemy MAXs than it does against infantry. The Hacksaw isn't OP (on a MAX in their current state), it just highlights how pathetic MAXs are. That's what I seeing anyway.
    • Up x 1
  19. nella

Sounds like you should be requesting buffs for your max rather than nerf NC maxes that are only doing what they're supposed to do with 2 massive shotguns attached to them: Pwning n00bs in CQC.

Shotguns will kill you in CQC, get used to it.
  20. Eric Smith

Fine, buff Maxes vs Shotguns, because shotguns should be ineffective vs solid armor.

Shotguns shouldn't annihilate Maxes. That's the whole point of this thread. From a functionality standpoint (how shotguns work IRL) and a game balance perspective the NC Max being able to annihilate other Maxes in under a second is a problem.