NC Hacksaw is too effective in MAX duels

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Cryptek, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Cryptek

Seriously, I'm not that bothered that NC have the best infantry sweeping guns in the game..

What I find ridiculous is the fact that if you're fighting a dual hacksaw MAX then he's killed you (when you're a MAX) before you can even unload 10 shots into him, which by the way is nowhere near enough to even dent him.

Either they need to buff the accuracy of TR and Vanu AI guns, or they need to nerf scattermax damage vs other MAXes. Since currently the cone of fire for quasars/cyclers are so wide that you have to get into CQC, which means you have to get into optimal range of scattermaxes, who will kill you faster than you can sprint away.
    • Up x 11
  2. Spartan 117

I will take TR miniguns over NC Max weapons any day of the week. If your trying to kill a NC MAX at close range, your doing it wrong. NC MAX destroys anything within 5 meters after that its garbage. If it is using slug ammo, it gains a moderate range increase at the cost of losing its close range capability. I just spent 300 certs on slug ammo for it & if infantry are ontop of you, your weapons do 0 damage. How awesome is that?
    • Up x 6
  3. Cryptek

not really, NC MAXes can engage at about 20 meters (Especially against MAXes), they'll still hurt a lot at that range and hey guess what, quasars stop being effective beyond that range as well. If you're fighting in a bio lab (the one place a MAX should be at home) Then I dare you to try and find a way to win with quasars vs hacksaws...

Also None of the AI weapons work when infantry is on top of you.
    • Up x 3
  4. MrMacaroli

I agree with this. The main problem is that the game, so focused around interior combat and holding/capping points, becomes very much centralized on indoor combat. A good NC MAX player will know his role and stick to it, meaning that the TR/VS players don't have many options BUT to engage him at his optimal effective range or sacrifice any hope they have of progressing the objective. Other MAXes aren't scary in the slightest when I have my Hacksaw on.

A balancing option that could be looked into that wouldn't just nerf the NC's weapons into oblivion is reducing the damage anti-infantry weapons for the MAXes do to each other. Would give some more purpose to the idea of going AV/AI as a serious idea. At the moment, you specialize or are severely punished for it.

Another might be just giving everyone sidegrades that emulate the other faction's equipment. I'd trade in one of my scattercannons for a minigun any day.

Spartan 117, other MAXes have the same deadspace issue that the NC one does in enemies being too close you do 0 damage. It's just exaggerated significantly in the NC's case because it's so easy to burn through your magazine in a moment of panic.
    • Up x 15
  5. Ruvan

Yes, they do. However, I think this needs to be done at the same time as NC weapons getting buffed. I was sceptical about all this whining from the NC like most people, but on actually trying them I have to say I agree that they need to be buffed somewhat.

Honestly, I don't see why NC MAX has to have access to a different set of weapons anyway. The faction differences are meant to be minor things that add flavour to the factions, they aren't meant to dramatically alter the playstyle of a class.
  6. Stromberg

I think the problem is, that NC max can't euqup automatic guns (slug-ammo is normally sth for aimbots) while the other MAX'es can't use shotguns. the fact, that a shotgung is devasting at point blank is working as intended though.
  7. Spookydodger

I try to run forward a little and start melee attacking, but it isn't terribly successful.
  8. Chestor

Heaven forbid the NC weapons be good at something... better just nerf it now, we wouldn't want anyone being hurt by NC weapons now do we?
    • Up x 1
  9. Naithe

Meh people fear nc scatmaxes, like maxes should be feared, now just get the TR and VS max'es up to speed, so it won't just be "INCOMMING SCAT MAX!". But actually "INCOMMING MAX UNIT!".
    • Up x 11
  10. Vilmond

NC MAX's are "good enough" but really the CoF's on the chain guns and laser do-hickies need to be tightened up so that they are actually effective outside of the range of a shotgun :\
    • Up x 1
  11. Clam Chowder

Heaven forbid NC are granted a weapon that actually hits hard.
    • Up x 2
  12. USD

You're a crazy person. NC AI maxes have always been the best. Oh they're only good in close range? You shouldn't be using a max anywhere BUT close range anyway. The NC AI max in PS1 was called the SPLATTERmax for good reason.

If anything, maxes in general need a durability buff, and the TR and VS maxes need to be brought in line with the NC one. Great at close range, not good at mid-long range. There's no other use for the AI max unit as it is, might as well make them good at what they're supposed to be doing.
    • Up x 4
  13. ThePackage

Do I ever want to turn a corner and see a scat max? Hell no
    Are they overpowered? Hell no

The damage drop off is incredible. Personally, I love the double blueshift max, it can kill quickly even at medium range. While I've had double scat MAXs decimate my MAX in less than 2 seconds, I was all up in their grill, and it was my own fault. In all honesty we probably have the best MAX unit.
  14. Ripshaft

?? The heck are you talking about. A hacksaw max unloading into my max I think only takes off maybe 80% of my first bar at best... and by the time he's reloaded, i've allready got him down to 25% (using dual quasars).. I do have two levels in kinetic armor, but I found them previously and they were never very threatening... but seriously the other faction ai guns needing you to get into cqc range? you are doing something severely wrong if you think this.... especially vs a max, who is a giant target.
  15. raw

I have to agree with the OP. A dual hacksaw downed me in my max in about the same time infantry downs each other. Considering the VS MAX is completely bogus, this is a bit too fast for max battle.
  16. Con411

Stop trying to kiss him when you are fighting him.

Same as above.
  17. Hoki

How I WISHED Max fights happened:

*Shoot each other with small arms fire, barely damaging each other*

Realizing that the small arms slug fest is going nowhere, moving into melee range to smack the **** out of each other.

But then that would require small arms fire not doing very much damage to a max, and max melee damage to be boosted dramatically.

I want a power fist attachment, I would totally go punch a tank.
    • Up x 10
  18. Plunkies

It does seem like the dps on the hacksaw is kind of crazy. Would make sense if they lowered the amount of rounds it has or something.
  19. MaxSwift

20. Cryptek

common misconception for the blueshift: It's accuracy is actually worse than a normal quasar.

Here's the problem the scat MAX is designed to be optimal at the one role a MAX excels at: CQC, because if you come and tell me that you can fight infantry effectively at medium/long range outdoors, or that you have the same clearing power of a scat MAX for clearing a point then you are flat out lying.

to anyone whining about this being a 'nerf the scat max thread' go read the actual OP and what MrMacaroli typed:

The NC MAX is too effective at a MAX FIGHT.

when a vanu and TR max meet it takes a long while before you finally whittle your opponent down, that's with dual AI weapons mind you.

when you fight a NC max it takes a mater of seconds as if you were just common infantry, then he'll rofl stomp onwards.

'but you're fighting him in CQC, that's where shotguns are supposed to be good' no, shut up. ALL MAXes have to get into CQC, because it is the only range they are effective against infantry at.. they HAVE to get into CQC to push a point, which is usually indoors.

In the situations the a MAX wants to get into because it's the only situations where he will do well.. the scattermax cake walks over the cycler and quasar.

When fighting other MAXes you should not be able to kill it without reloading as a NC MAX just because you have hacksaws, because it takes a hell of a lot more time to empty a quasar/cycler, which you will have to if you want to kill them.

5-20 meters, Optimal range for scattermaxes... Sadly this also happens to be the only range that a cycler/quasar MAX is effective at. (Anyone who tells about 'how they killed someone with dual cyclers at 50 meters range, here's my answer: Sure.. he probably didn't shoot back, because if a HA takes a Carv or a Medic takes his assault riffle and empties it into your face at that range, you'll lose a huge chunk of health.. that is not acceptable vs 1 infantry, the only range where you will reliably win vs infantry is CQC)

Either the other MAXes need to be made viable in other situations OR the damage scattercannons do to MAXes (not infantry, JUST MAXes) has to be greatly reduced so you will require a reload even with hacksaws, anything less is ridiculous.
    • Up x 3