[Guide] Nanoweave and Headshots

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Iridar51, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Iridar51

1. Intro

We all know that headshots ignore nanoweave. However, it was brought to my attention that just a couple of headshots might make nanoweave armor useless, because after a couple of headshots there would be no difference in the remaining bulets-to-kill, nanoweave or no.

In a typical Iridar fashion, I decided to theorycraft an analysis.

2. Algorithm

I have taken a few most common weapons, then compared their BTK against a target with nanoweave, and a target without, after a certain number of headshots.

For simplicity's sake, I've only used the ranges where weapon's damage changes, i.e. from max damage range to min damage range.

Cases where target dies after taking this number of headshots are not counted, because nanoweave kinda isn't at fault here.

Algorithm:

Assign Damage Stats
    Headshots = 1
    While (Headshots < MaxHeadshots) //MaxHeadshots is the number of headshots a target can possibly survive
    {
    For Each Meter of Weapon's Range
    {
    Assign full health to the target
    Deal headshot damage
    If target has died of headshots, go to next Range
    Compare the remaining BTK with and without nanoweave, write down results
    }
    Post results for this number of headshots
    }

3. Intermediate Results

Note that certain percentage doesn't mean "first X meters", like "50% of range" doesn't mean "first 25 meters". It means what it means: "from 10m to 60m, over 50% of that range nano will hold no effect on the amount bullets needed to kill you after a certain number of headshots".

TRAC 5, Solstice: 143 @ 10m - 112 @ 60m
    Headshots: 1
    Nanoweave Useless over: 0% of range
    Headshots: 2
    Nanoweave Useless over: 13% of range
    Headshots: 3
    Nanoweave Useless over: 50% of range
    Headshots: 4
    Nanoweave Useless over: 85% of range where user doesn't immediately die of headshots

CARV, Cycler, Pulsar, Orion: 143 @ 10m - 125 @ 65m
    Nanoweave Useless over: 21% of range
    Nanoweave Useless over: 60% of range where user doesn't immediately die of headshots

Mercenary: 167 @ 10m - 125 @ 70m
    Nanoweave Useless over: 32% of range
    Nanoweave Useless over: 71% of range where user doesn't immediately die of headshots

Gauss Rifle: 167 @ 10m - 143 @ 75m
    Nanoweave Useless over: 40% of range
    Nanoweave Useless over: 79% of range where user doesn't immediately die of headshots

Gauss SAW: 200 @ 10m - 167 @ 85m
    Nanoweave Useless over: 21% of range
    Nanoweave Useless over: 61% of range where user doesn't immediately die of headshots

PART 2

However, that's talking about whole weapon damage ranges. What if we were taking into account CQC only? Say, within 0 to 20m. 0 to 10m is taken into account correctly.

TRAC 5, Solstice: 143 @ 10m - 112 @ 60m
    Nanoweave Useless over: 33% of range
    Nanoweave Useless over: 62% of range where user doesn't immediately die of headshots

CARV, Cycler, Pulsar: 143 @ 10m - 125 @ 65m
    Nanoweave Useless over: 43% of range
    Nanoweave Useless over: 43% of range where user doesn't immediately die of headshots

Mercenary: 167 @ 10m - 125 @ 70m
    Nanoweave Useless over: 47% of range
    Nanoweave Useless over: 100% of range where user doesn't immediately die of headshots

Gauss Rifle: 167 @ 10m - 143 @ 75m
    Nanoweave Useless over: 100% of range where user doesn't immediately die of headshots

Gauss SAW: 200 @ 10m - 167 @ 85m
    Nanoweave Useless over: 43% of range where user doesn't immediately die of headshots
    4. Results
    If you take only 1 headshot, having nanoweave will help you, against all weapons except Gauss SAW within 43% of its range.
    If you take 2 headshots, there's ~26% chance nanoweave will not help you survive even one additional bullet, depending on range to the enemy and his weapon.
    If you take 3 headshots: 65% chance. That's including situations where you'd be dead :rolleyes:
    Take this percentages with a huge grain of salt, they are very rough, and mostly just to demonstrate the dynamics.
    If you take 2 headshots within 20m, there's a 38% chance nanoweave will not help you survive an additional bullet.
    Conclusion: If you take just a couple of headshots, nanoweave will most likely help you survive at least one bullet more. If you take three headshots or more, chances are nanoweave will not help you, or you will be dead.
    So I would say that just a couple of headshots makes nanoweave useless, but naturally the more headshots you take, the less helpful nanoweave is.
  2. vsae

TL;DR, if you hear ding-ding-ding, then NW didnt work.
    Also NW doesnt work against people with 30%+ HSR
  3. Iridar51

You have to remember that PS2 doesn't track the average amount of headshots people do. It only counts the amount of people you killed with a headshot, which is a bit different stat.
  4. vsae

I know that, but HSR alone is very informative stat to begin with.
    If a person isnt going for headshots consistently his HSR would be around 10-15%.
    Consistent headshoting with good accuracy results in 30-40% HSR
  5. cruczi

I think I'm only going to be hitting head shots from now on. 100% HSR here I come! Suck that nanoweave users!
  6. Iridar51

Might as well invalidate the Resist Shield as well. Pump action slugs master race!