Nano-Weave Armor is bad for this game.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BuzzCutPsycho, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Iksniljiksul

Considering you are one shot kill for head shots and two shot kills for body shots this makes you at most a three shot kill. Oh my, so overpowered. As it stands this game is boring due to how fast kill rates are. People in a GAME should have more survival time and longer fight times. This is not a simulator, there is nothing even remotely realistic about the behavior of firearms, vehicles, movement, etc.
  2. DrMcCleod

Assuming this hasn't already been mentioned on the thread, the solution is for the HP buff to come with an equivalent run speed decrease.
  3. dumbo

If NW5 made a difference, then you have ended a gunfight with <25 health and no shield.
    In every other fight, NW has been absolutely useless.

The trick to winning infantry combat (in every sense) is managing your shield, not your health bar.
  4. Thurwell

I got popped with a boltdriver round in the head yesterday with nanoweave 2 or 3 and had 2 health bars left. Then I stepped on a rock or something and died, the kill screen said the boltdriver did 97%. So...maybe. Usually boltdrivers to the head kill me. I suspect the range is a factor, he was probably out where damage degradation reduced his damage.
  5. Meiu

Max rank nano lets a heavy assault survive a bolt driver to the head. I have seen this.
    • Up x 2
  6. PrincessFrosty

No it doesn't make you 25% more durable than a brand new player, it's 12.5% (500+625)/(500+500)

For anyone with a shield as HA that drops to (500+625+1000)/(500+500+1000) which is 6.25% more durable.

We've already established that 1 cert grants you an extra bullets survival and the following 1210 certs added up grant you one more bullet hit in only fringe cases, with the added benefit of surviving sniper head shots.

Your argument that it gives you an immediate advantage over someone that doesn't have it is pointless, ALL of the certs have that quality, some are situational and strong and some are more general and weaker.

So can I, so what?

According to what standards, your personal opinion? Fine...but at least state it as your opinion rather than trying to assert there's some grand standard here. The devs said at launch that they wanted no more than about a 20% benefit of maxed players over complete newbs, this fits relatively nicely.

You've asserted over and over again that this offers a benefit with no drawbacks, all of the upgrades are the same in the category, not just in this category but across the entire game, for example ESF can add A2G or A2A rockets they both beat stock loadout without them, carrying C4 as HA compared to not carrying it is a straight upgrade, there's countless example of this.

Your assertions that it's somehow flat out better compared to the alternatives is wrong, the alternatives offer DIFFERENT benefits, if you want to increase your defense then Nanoweave is a no brainer, if you want to improve your assault then go for something like grenades, they rack up a LOT of kills in crowded areas due to high damage radius, if you're going up against lots of Armour the +3 Rockets really helps a lot.

For the record I run as HA almost exclusively, I've unlocked the level 5 Nanoweave armour which i use in my Anti-Infantry build, that gets swapped out for extra rocket ammo (currently x2) for when I switch to my Anti-tank or Anti-Air build, I left the EU Miller server rank 103rd last night, based on my subjective gameplay experience and based on the numbers of the analysis done on the forums I think the fringe benefits of level 5 Nanoweave (1 extra bullet in hardly any cases) make this an extremely well balanced in my opinion, it's an ***-ton of certs to buy that upgrade.

If I had to say anything it's that you're stuck in one mindset, killing infantry indoors at close-medium range probably, if you realized there's a larger battle at play and that sometimes you're killing tanks or aircraft you'd realize that the other options have a decent benefit also, carrying more rockets is a god send when there's no engineers around and the enemy is rolling a tank-column. Sure the alternative upgrades are more situational but they're also stronger, for example the flak armour does -25% explosive damage which leaves you with more HP than with Nanoweave. It's situational, so useful less frequently but when it does have a benefit it's a greater one than Nanoweave.

There's more to the game that HA vs HA TTK, there's a whole gamut of gameplay you're either blind to, or you're ignoring.
    • Up x 2
  7. Ferment

I only sifted through the last 4 pages to see where the conv was going, but ignoring all the math about hp, it's still a side-grade in comparison to the other upgrades. No one has mentioned grenade bandolier it seems, and really, grenade bandolier plays super well on light assault and probably heavy assault too.
  8. Tarrick

At this point, it's pretty obvious that you're trolling.
  9. LabRatTy

What a weird argument.

Nanoweave does not help you every time you use it. A lot of times, that extra health makes no difference at all. And whether it's useful or not is really not in your hands - it's more up to luck than anything else. Why leave your success and failure up to a dice roll?

Things like extra grenades also do not help you every time you use them. However, whether they're useful or not is very much up to you - no luck involved. Make a special loadout and equip the grenades when you think they'll be useful. Remember to use them, aim them well, and you can take out far more opponents than you could have otherwise.

Do you like math? Killing several opponents with 3 grenades = Causing thousands of points of damage with very little risk to self, and you're saying that's never better than having 100ish more health?

Just because an advantage is situational does not mean it's never worth taking. It'd be like saying nuclear bombs are useless because friendlies are usually in the way. Doesn't mean you shouldn't use the nuke when there aren't friendlies in the way.
  10. daicon

You realize that the 25% health increase doesn't include shield, right? So your math is bunk.
  11. DemonicKing

The death field is broken when a player is offline. So players will show a kdr of 2000 when offline. But when they login it corrects and goes to the real kdr.
    I think buzz's kdr last I looked was between 3 or 4.
  12. Marinealver

25% is all they get and it really isnt that much considering the HP is the same and the armor Damage Reduction is the same without certs across the board.
    [IMG]
  13. daicon

While I don't think NW is imba, I do think it should NOT let you survive a sniper's headshot.
  14. Nekky

I would agree with removing it.
  15. Hibbe

Kills depend on accuracy and positioning, nano-weave armor is a very minor difference and for the price I think it is fair, another player who spends as much certs could get other things that are equally good.
  16. Rane

Only read the original post. Just wanted to say you are a moron and if you take this out, take out all certs and customization.

The whole points is a seasoned veteran earned some points and has a slight advantage over the newb. Why don't we just remove exp, certs, and anything to make your character better, upgraded weapons etc. Give us all access to the same guns, and let us do absolutely nothing. The skill level of the player, still vastly outweighs the skill level of nano weave armor. Or ANY other cert in this game for that matter. I don't care if you got rocket pods on your mosquito, if I shoot you once with my MAG you are dead. You deserve the advantage, you spend X amount of real money or X amount of time leveling up to that point. The advantage is while there, minimal.

AND YES, I FREQUENTLY DROP AIR CRAFT WITH THE STOCK GUN ON MY MAG RIDER. THE MAIN CANNON. 1 HIT KILLS REAVERS MOSQUITOS ETC. AND ITS EASY TO HIT ANYONE WHO ISN'T WAAAAAY UP THRE.

Matter a fact, give us air strikes and attack helicopters so we don't even bother fighting!!!
  17. BuzzCutPsycho

The situations where Nanoweave is less desirable are far and few between. Nanoweave is simply too good to pass up.

Why wouldn't I want more HP? Why wouldn't I? Of course I want more HP. The other options are all simply worthless in comparison to Nanoweave except for an incredibly situational role.

PS: I survive sniper shots due to Nanoweave. That alone makes it superior to everything else.
  18. Chester267

What kind of sniper shots are you referring to?
  19. Natir

If the armor mods were changed, I would use them over nanoweave depending on the situation. Here are what they would need to be for me not to use nanoweave in all situations for all classes.

Advanced Shield Capacitor: If it was changed so that I could regenerate my shields once every x seconds during combat. It could be passive or an active ability.

Flak Armor: If it was 35%. 25% is not worth it compared to nanoweave.

Ammo Pouch, Bandolier, etc: Need to be combined in order for me to want to use this. If I know I can get extra ammo, grenade, and whatever else I am using then I think the cert point cost and the slot usage over nanoweave.

At the end of the day, I would rather just be more survivable in all situations. Flak armor? Well, if I am getting bombarded by flak, I am dead anyway.
  20. Vikingbeard

Forcing people into one path is not what this game should be about!