Nano-Weave Armor is bad for this game.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BuzzCutPsycho, Dec 1, 2012.

1. RageMasterUK

Rocket to the face is OHK regardless ;)
  2. Stride

Ok, so for example lets so you have points in nanoweave armor. At times when you have depleted your hp below your base hp are the times it is actually benefiting you. If you are surviving gun fights without your hp breaching your base hp then you are not making the most of it.

I find that fights with readily available cover shield capacitor tends to outweigh nanoweave because players can always break away from fire before their shields are fully depleted.

Also ammunition belt can pull ahead in a 1v1 gunfight if your weapon is a low magazine brusty type gun. Shotguns and a few carbines come to mind here. I imagine a few bursty NC guns would be useful with this as well.
    • Up x 1
  3. Littleman

If you really want to know the accuracies:

You'd actually have 3 or 4 pips if nanoweave rank 4 is saving you in a fire fight.

20 pips on the life bar, 500 health default. 625 at level 5.
    At level 5, 125 hp is exactly 4 pips out of the 625 hp one has.
    Each pip would be 31.25 hp. At 500 hp, it's 25 hp per pip.

If you walk away from a firefight with equal to or less than 6 pips of health at rank 4-5 nanoweave, nanoweave just saved you. Otherwise, the next guy needn't fret over whether you have it or not, and you need medical aid stat.

Rank 1 = +50 health = amounts to just under two pips out of the new total.
    Rank 2 = +62.5 health = amounts to just under 3 pips total.
    Rank 3 = +75 health = amounts to just just under 3 pips total again (fuller 3rd pip than rank 2.)
    Rank 4 = +100 health = amounts to just under 4 pips total.
    Rank 5 = +125 health = amounts to exactly 4 pips total.

But it's not right to go, "oh, so if I have 4 pips or less left, NW saved me!" Sort of, actually, but because weaponry typically deals 148 or 167 points of damage per round and that's obviously more than the 125 hp rank 5 provides, it's not entirely accurate nor inaccurate. If you have rank 4 and nanoweave was all that you had left in your HP pool, you'd have just 1 hp shy of 3 full pips of life if against a pulsar or cycler, or just 3 hp ahead of 4 pips of life if a gauss rifle took you into that final, kill shot range but failed to deliver it. That's your effective "saved my ***" range at rank 4 for most automatic hand held weaponry.

In contrast, rank 1 would amount to a mere 14 hp against a cycler/pulsar, or half a pip. Gauss rifle leaves one just 7 hp shy of 2 full pips. The REAL deal here is for non-NW ethusiasts like myself to count the number of times they've been killed by someone with that one-to-four blinking red health pips or even none at all, since the death screen does not show partial pips and rounds them out instead. I can admit I've seen them, but most of my deaths aren't to someone sitting at that one pip once the dust settles. For the record, someone without nanoweave standing at one remaining shot will show 4 or 7 pips remaining, cycler/pulsar and gauss, respectively. It's going to be slightly harder for a TR/VS to judge if NW screwed them over essentially, but one can probably count the number of enemies with rank 4-5 NW on one hand in a single sitting.
    • Up x 1
  4. Madmojo

Did read all this. Ill agree its a marginal improvement at best. Is it game breaking? I don't think so. A BR 5 can still kill a BR 50. In the end comes down to player skill and the situation.
  5. ThePackage

I'm loving how people believe that every shot is going to land on a target, thus the extra time it gives you to live is next to nothing.

Do you people even play this game?
  6. Littleman

By this same vein, there's no guarantee that your shots will land in the exact same ratio as your opponents, constantly bringing you out on top with that extra hp. Random variables are random : /
  7. James161324

The thing people forgot no one shots 100% accuary. I shot around 20-25 with the lmg's . That one extra bullet could be 5 that comes out my gun.
    Even in cod with laser rifles of death, the jugg perk which gave the players basically 25 percent more health was a problem. Plus those spread sheet numbers are close range,
  8. anaverageguy

The part of the bolt driver headshot might be true. I recently shot someone in the head from very far range with the bolt driver and saw his hp drop to a sliver of red. That was the only case though. Not sure if it was really due to nanoweave.
  9. ThePackage

Oh I agree, but that's not what people seem to be arguing about. One extra hit is a huge advantage, certainly the best defensive armor to cert into.

I don't think that you should be able to cert into a flat hp increase. While I think this goes against the flow of the game, I also think the NMG shield for HA's is a completely broken concept as well. These are the things that make the game unbalanced. No class should have a HP advantage over another, this isn't a RPG.

You can't argue that nanoweave is too good and completely forget HA's get an extra life bar.
  10. Jestunhi

Nor is it a game where 2 people walk up to each other for 100% accuracy and hold down the mouse, seeing whose unlocks allow them to win.

Many people can and have been arguing that being able to take 1 more shots from most guns or 2 more from the weakest of the weak guns is not "too good".
  11. Cab00se187

Would you still be whining if they changed the wording and had is say "Absorbs 25% of damage" instead of increasing HP by 25%
  12. ThePackage

Your accuracy statement further cements my point. No one lands 100% of their shots, 30% would be a decently accurate number for a skilled player. The majority of those that land are at the beginning of a burst, meaning when Nanoweave would be effective their accuracy has gone down the toilet. Being able to take an extra bullet is by far the best suit mod for survivability.
  13. Sephuku

I play with 160+ ping so it's not like I'm going to see a difference in TTK with nanoweave anyways.
    I do agree with the OP, though. It's pretty much an upgrade and it fits most people's combat style.
  14. Jestunhi

Again, only if they are standing there firing at each other.

If one gets into cover and has a faster shield regen he will soon have the advantage.

If they have both used a grenade but one has the additional grenades unlock and can get in a position to use it effectively then he has the advantage.

The only time NW is useful is for the last shot or two (the rest of the shots are completely uneffected by having NW).
  15. King_of_Bads

in a 1v1 situation, NW is arguably the best choice. but there are very, very few opportunities for straight up 1v1 situations.

in a large, pitched battle a quicker recharging shield, resistance to explosive damage, more ammo or more grenades would have a greater impact.
  16. Littleman

The only reason I don't fault HA's is because the class was clearly designed around killing and more killing. I can bore through the shield in about 4-5 shots with my cycler, pretty sure the gauss will do so faster. Doesn't necessarily make it fair in a combat situation, but I am making exp off of the other things I can do in conjunction with killing people. Additionally, I've long since accepted HA as a shock troop that is extremely durable, but then... I've also played PS1, where the nanite mesh basically accomplishes what reinforced battle armor accomplished passively: high durability with slower movement. The only improvement one can grant this shield is faster recharge, but it won't get any tougher nor last any longer than it currently does, and everyone has access to the class, just like everyone has access to the same 1 cert point NW armor certification.

Some people obviously find the durability of the HA's shield and NW preferable, I will not fault them. Some people prize durability over other situational benefits, I will not fault them. Some people also find the versatility of the HA preferable, and I will not fault them there either. They still can't heal, repair, re-arm, cloak, or fly, all invaluable tools with their own allure.

Now, they DO have a shield that mitigates damage for a duration instead of acting like a second hard shield, and behind this shield NW might be beastly, but there are no hard numbers yet on that subject. We can make educated guesses if someone had the mitigation shield but no nanoweave (for simplicity) and gauged how many rounds it took to die from both a cycler and gauss rifle.
  17. Stride

I agree somewhat... If anything HA suggests more firepower. Their ability should have reflected that instead of giving a huge defensive bonus. Imo something like increased fire rate perhaps could have been a better direction because at least at that point players would have to aim and use skill to benefit from their ability.
  18. Reizod

Just like TR biased players trying to defend the low TTK of the TR HA guns!? Make all gun's TTK & stats the same across the board, and then I would agree that Nanoweave armor should be taken out.
  19. Cl1mh4224rd

Why is it that the vast majority of people complaining about Nanoweave Armor in this thread are sporting TR avatars? What's up with that?
  20. Hoki

I actually prefer the faster shield regen.