Nano armor cloaking? Sidearm?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Okjoek, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Okjoek

I've had hunter cloak fully upgraded for a while now and I've been wondering if it would be worth getting Nano armor cloaking.

If my playstyle is an important consideration I can tell you I don't usually snipe from long range. I almost never use bolt action rifles. I prefer the automatic scout rifle because it's essentially a long range assault rifle. I've been considering the TRAP despite what some people have said as well. I feel the burst modes would fit my closer range support role well. I've enjoyed the KSR-35 and NS-30 Vandal a lot too as a side note.

Also I'm not sure which sidearm might be right. My SOAS automatic scout rifle has a small magazine size which means it has to be reloaded constantly so I want something that can take finishing shots well. I've been considering the underboss. I really with the faction specific weapons had some optics instead of iron sights though. I've considered the crossbow with explosive bolts so I don't have to just site around when I find a parked vehicle somewhere.
  2. Iridar51

Explosive bolts are worthless, forget about it. The crossbow itself is quite nice for stalkers, on the other hand.

Both revolvers are excellent finishers, but I would recommend Commissioner over Underboss.
    Visit http://planethead.info/weapons/sidearm-guide for specifics.

The nano armor cloaking (NAC) has two properties: damage reduction and lack of shimmering when getting shot. It has shorter active time, though.

It has two applications: it's easier to get away if you get discovered. This will only work if you have a playstyle of "run away when discovered". Never seemed to work for me.

Another application is that it allows snipers to survive a headshot, so it makes you harder to countersnipe. Not sure how useful that is, since at long range you're completely invisible while cloaked, and the only way someone's gonna headshot you is if you stay still in one place (not recommended) or by sheer luck.

Due to shorter duration, it's harder to set up proper ambushes with NAC.

Overall it seems to support the default playstyle of "normally play without cloak, but use it to try to get away if you get into trouble", as opposed to hunter's "always engage from cloak so you don't get into trouble in the first place".

NAC probably has some applications and can be useful, but - much like with drifter or icarus jets - i can't imagine the crab people that can make it work to the greater effect than default ability.
  3. _itg

I think NAC actually works really well with the scout rifles, although you pretty much need to max it out before it's usable at all. For me, the biggest cause of death with these guns was getting shot at from 50 directions at once after killing my target. NAC cuts these deaths down drastically, more because of the lack of shimmer than the damage resistance. The short cloak duration doesn't hurt too bad, since you don't need to close the distance to your target.

As for sidearm, I just run the Commissioner. The Underboss would be fine, too. Better TTK up close on standard targets, but it's not quite as good a finisher, and it has problems with nanoweave and the HA shield. Explosive bolts on the crossbow are pretty terrible. You might be able to kill a single abandoned tank if you can afford to sit behind it plinking for 90 seconds.
    • Up x 1
  4. Navron

I dunno....I haven't removed explosive bolts from my secondary slot for some close range loadouts for a while. They come in hand when I least expect it. For example, I got a Prowler kill with them (even though most of the damage had been done by someone else). But this special situation I found myself in (which put me in the only spot to hit the Prowler) allowed me to get the kill. Also, I can make MAXs run away.

But as far as the OP goes, I think you should pick whatever compliments your primary. My general rule is that if I have a faster, short range weapon like an SMG, I would have a slightly longer and powerful weapon (I prefer the Underboss). If I'm using a scout rifle, I either keep my explosive bolts are I would use something faster like the Desperado.
  5. K2k4

I always liked nano armor cloak + nanoweave armor + SMG w/ silenced fast fire rate sidearm (like tr default gun). use the cloak to close the gap or make a quick escape, but otherwise just cqc it up.
  6. Biddion

If you can manage the revolvers they seem to be a popular choice. Personally, I don't really care for the commish. I find the model throws my aim off. Your avatar is TR so I would recommend the TX2 Emperor. It is a good solid jack-of-all-trades kind of gun. As I recall, it is 250 certs (but I got it a long time ago), but the cost may differ.

Now since the auto scout rifles have low ammo pools, you might want to consider a revolver with x2 scope. It would help you finish of those at distance that you couldn't with your primary.