Nanites, MAX suits and revives.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WUNDER8AR, Aug 7, 2014.

1. WUNDER8AR

With the new resource system in place you can now pretty much chainpull MAX suits. Biolab battles (as in the epitome of all chokepoints) in particular have become a chore for me bc of this.

MAX crashes are common practice since PS1 afaik, but a MAX crash never used to be indefinite I suppose. Now we have (revive-able) MAXs around almost every corner and it is obviously mere spam rather than coordinated effort which makes for horrible horrible gameplay. Especially with the growing number of people who, maybe out of despair or indifference idk, charge head on into a blob of enemies just to mow down a few and go down themselves.
    It is quite frustrating to see a MAX committing a suicide run, knowing that he will return as a MAX immediately afterwards anyways, be it through a revive or an infantry terminal. Killing MAXs is meaningless and so is dying as a MAX. It feels like "infantry" gameplay has never been more spammy, more shallow than it is now, particularly in Biolab battles.

Of course this is just my experience so far and I would like to know whether you guys have experienced something similar since the most recent update. Is this a rather minor issue or indeed a problem, or is it all just in my imagination?

In case there's a general agreement in that the accessibility of MAX suits has a tendency to turn out as a problem I would like to point to the original message in the title of this thread and launch a discussion on whether it would be a considerable idea to remove the ability to rezz MAX suits. I'm not a fan of this myself. I'd actually rather we would get the timers back or raise the Nanite cost on MAXs instead of removing a teamplay aspect of the game. Perhaps we could come up with an entirely new and better idea or we just casually talk about the role and the accessibility of MAX suits to shed some light here and there

Greetings
    • Up x 1
  2. andy_m

I think it's just a matter of adjusting to the new system. I'm sure that things will settle down soon enough.

And besides, isn't it the same for all of us? I've not managed to get in-game since the patch so I'm only guessing here, but if the enemy pull a load of MAX's to a Biolab fight, won't the answer be to do the same?
  3. r4zor

Well it doesn't really solve the underlying problem though. Or would you rather only fight in MAXes instead of HA/LA from now on? Especially playing against NC maxes this is annoying as they are already the most durable (shield ...) and arguably the deadliest as well.
  4. andy_m

I'm not really sure to be honest. Seventy odd percent of my time is spent sniping so I should probably stay out of this kind of discussion.
  5. SacredRay

So.. This is why Air, Ground and Creativity got nerfed? To cater to Infantry gameplay which has ALWAYS been shallow and spammy.
    • Up x 2
  6. DevDevBooday

The difference being though is chain pulling Maxes means that they wont be using grenades or C4. If you redeploy they wont be able to pull tanks or Sundies or aircraft. You could cap a base in the time it will take for them to get enough nanites to pull anything dangerous.

Sure they are hammering MAXs in the biolab but they are really throwing all their eggs in one basket.

As said above, you can do the exact same thing now. Before, the only people thay could chain pull MAXes were high BRs who certed out MAX respawn. No one is better than anyone else now.

We will just have to wait for part 2 of resource revamp before it will REALLY get interesting.
    • Up x 1
  7. SacredRay

Where are the "Rocket Primary" guys now?

lmao
    • Up x 2
  8. r4zor

Probably sitting in a MAXsuit all day because they wouldnt get many kills otherwise :p

As for your other comment about infantry gameplay: I believe the intention behind the recent patch was to reduce said spammishness. And I welcome that reduction for gameplay's sake. However, let us wait another day or two in order to see whether the Devs have hit that target or failed to find the right formula.
  9. whitupiggu

Despite the dramatic increase of vehicles and MAXs I seem to be dying to them less often. Probably due to the fact both sides have enough tanks and MAXs to counter each other now.

As someone who plays infantry exclusively I love the change.
    • Up x 1
  10. MrJengles

A good middle-ground that I've proposed a few times is that accepting a revive as a MAX should cost resources. That's still far better than vehicles and consumables (so everything else that costs resources) which only have 1 life/use.

Having no penalty for reckless use of force multipliers makes for bad gameplay.
  11. Noppa

They changed to AV nade spam primarys... god the spam was horrible yesterday on Biolab and it didn't never end -.-
    • Up x 1
  12. Captain Kid

I stopped playing in Biolabs and towers before this update.

Problem is.. I see much more maxes everywhere now.
  13. SacredRay

To be honest, I have not had a problem with spamminess. Whenever I saw a bunch of MAX's on the minimap and I happened to be HA, I just assumed I would be sending a couple of rockets their way if I happened to run into them. But then again part of the reason why I'm not so tunnel visioned in this game is because I don't play excessively and there have been long periods where I haven't played. So it could just be that I do whatever I want to do without getting shoehorned by 'forumside meta' and I'm oblivious to the real undertones of the game.

To me, the resource revamp means I can't play derpy even if I tried to - I have to specialize. And I figured I would specialize on my TR HA and Engie/Prowler since the Prowler has alot of certs in it (it needs AP shells now). If it seems that a large majority of people are 'specializing' in MAX's, then I would like to enquire: "how many of those players were predominantly infantry anyway?

I think there will be correlation between the sorry state of infantry gameplay and the people who attached themselves to it, to the people who are now chain pulling MAX's so they can be more proficient in said sorry state of gameplay.
  14. Nexus545

The solution would simply be to remove the MAX discount bonus. If people are just throwing themselves into the fire at 350 nanites a piece, they wont last long.
  15. SacredRay

And I'm appealing to everyone in this thread complaining about MAX spam. Lets do something about it without resorting to nerf calling.

We have many HA loadouts that are capable of dealing with MAX's. Concussive/AV Grenade rain, comes to mind. Throw a rocket in his face and mow him down with as much dakka as you can muster.

LA's? Now would be a GREAT time to prove to forumside that C4 SHOULD NOT BE NERFED. Use them against the MAX's.

Engies? Spawn those AV turrents at choke points.

Infils? Darts and EMPs please thank you very much.

Counter-MAX's are also viable and its not stooping down to whatever level you've deluded yourselves to exist. There is no profit to being sanctimonious in this game unless you're a pilot.

Also, maybe don't play the John Rambo game and have some support.

Lets get it in guys!
  16. andy_m

Nice speech, and thanks for reminding me that I have a use for my EMP grenades :oops:
  17. CipherNine

People have been wanting for higher TTK. I guess they've got it now.
  18. FieldMarshall

Since you pulled the PS1 card i just had to point out, that in PS1 you had 3 different MAX suits on seperate 5min cooldowns without resources, meaning 1 person could pull a MAX every ~1min 40seconds if they wanted.
    Granted, 1 of them was AA but still.
  19. variablez

new resources system sucks too much spam
  20. r4zor

@ FieldMarshall: But MAX units were also more balanced in PS1. They did not instagib (unlike the PS2 Scatmax...), the AV maxes did FAR less damage to infantry (VS and NC maxes took like 6-7 shots to kill infantry, which in turn was much longer than PS2 AV MAXes) and AA MAXes were even worse against infantry. Additionally,,all MAXes were more susceptible to splash damage.