My thoughts on the UES fiasco

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Joe-H2O, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Joe-H2O

Thoughts on the UES fiasco.

Well, that was ... unprofessional?

Ignoring all of the technical issues with streaming and grossly underestimating the server load and bandwidth you needed, the choice of presenters for the event was very poor in my opinion. The guy in the shades didn't seem to know anything about the game, which is important as one of two commentators on a large event. He was also a poor host and doesn't seem to be a natural presenter which came across multiple times.

The decision to hype this event to the death, only then to *cut away from the action* for several minutes to show an interview about esports was mind boggling. The action lasted for 40 minutes and you wasted all that time showing an interview that could have been run between the two challenges? You didn't even do it as a picture in picture mode, or a voice over style interview with the game running in the background. I tuned in to watch the action, not to watch an interview that could have been shown at any other time. Instead you chose to play it during the middle of the live game.

Your female presenter had no chemistry with the guests. I know this is a difficult one, but there was simply no rapport there at all. She just doesn't seem to be cut out for presenting.

The editorial choices made during the gameplay that we *could* see were somewhat haphazard and biased. We saw virtually no NC gameplay at all, instead seeing just TR and VS stuff. It wasn't until the fans on the stream started asking to see some NC that they finally decided to show some... only to cut away very shortly afterwards.

The second challenge was grossly unfair. Starting with The Bastion is an enormous advantage. All the VS had to do was redeploy to it and virtually guarantee a victory. The other challenges were much more balanced, but having one of three being so lopsided made the whole thing feel cheap and rigged.

I expected much more out of this event. It had so much potential. I expected to see lots of PS2 gameplay, lots of decent combat, professional presenters, presenters who have actually *played the game*, and what I got instead were very brief glimpses of the sort of gameplay I was expecting mixed in with some amateurish production values and hopeless presenters.

Hugely disappointed.
    • Up x 8
  2. Mobus

Yeah I agree - I know I heard the one guy say the VS had to "send a few people to every single territory" -- complete lack of understanding of the Influence mechanic

And of course, the fact that during the 3rd challenge, they CONSTANTLY kept talking about the TR 39% pop advantage, when the ENTIRE chatroom was correcting him about World vs. Continent pop, and was not acknowledged ONCE on the stream until TB took the People's Choice trophy. That was so aggravating hearing that over and over in the stream.
    • Up x 1
  3. MrLorgy

I totally agree. Poorly presented and poorly balanced.
  4. TheShrapnelKing

******* trainwreck of a competition.
    • Up x 1
  5. Zecthans

I agree on all your points. They need to watch LoL tournys on twitch to actually understand how to commentate or watch Starcraft 2 MLG games. Look at Huskys videos for christ sake . This was a terribly planned event, its like the only thing they actually took time on was the producing of commercials and hyping this game . To take time away from the game to get a face to face interview like you would on a News show is absolutely ridiculous. This event was about the game not about you gloating that your face was on screen. You at SoE (Smedly) need to get your act together and actually get people who actually will show professional and un-biased commentating. One other thing , Tramell Ray Isaac, the amount of gloating and swearing you did on this live event was just uncalled for. Do you speak to your mother that way? I bet not ,she'd probably smack you on the face.
    • Up x 2
  6. Benton!

I started watching this with high hopes, but with all the technical difficulties, I just stopped. Nothing interested me anyway. Although to be fair, it was their first time.
  7. Reventine

After watching this unfold over the past few hours I would say that the UES has done more damage to this game and more importantly to this community then almost anything I could have possibly imagined.
    • Up x 5
  8. Mustang

I just really hated the commentators
    • Up x 3
  9. Joe-H2O

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like the commentators. To anchor an event like that you need to at least have a grasp of the event's main topic which is why I am wondering why they chose the guy in the shades. I'm sure he's a very nice person, but he didn't seem to understand any of the game's primary mechanics or gameplay.

The level of commentary was also pitched at totally the wrong audience. You were explaining basic things in the game (although often incorrectly in some cases), like "the ESF is a small aircraft designed for agility and so on". Sure, we know - the audience you are pitching to knows this too because they also play. I appreciate the desire to draw in new players who have never played before, but it really wasn't the time to handhold them on the commentary and analysis during the event. This meant that we got no in depth analysis about anything, just info we can get ourselves quickly from the web.
    • Up x 1