[Suggestion] My thoughts and suggestion on he proposed straight bolt attachment

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Ripshaft, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Ripshaft

When I heard the word straight bolt I cringed... this is something that has me rather concerned. On one hand, it really isn't that big a deal; the good snipers are already not limited by having to unscope to bolt, so in theory this basically just lowers the skill floor for sniping... buuut no not really.

The main reason I say this is because it's being proposed as an attachment, and currently on the bolt action sniper rifles... there *are no attachments of benefit*. You will not have to trade off any attachment to get this, so this means that whatever downside the attachment has, will have to be relative to no upside, just the default.

So to create a realistic attachment (ie not a straight upgrade), it'll have to be pretty hefty on the negative side.

But the flip side is... a straight bolt really isn't all that useful, so you get something that's fairly useful for noobie snipers, but only a detriment to higher end players (due to the downside not making up for the convenience), and as the new players get a bit used to sniping, they'll progressively feel like they got a turd in a pudding cup.

So, my suggestion is somewhat of an odd one;

I propose to make the straight bolt attachment with more benefits than simply a straight bolt, so that it can have a meaningful tradeoff attached to it, allowing for the noob friendliness of a straight bolt, but also with advantages and disadvantages that can be exploited at a high level of skill.

I think to run with this idea, you need to start from the tradeoff, and buff until competitive. My propose tradeoff:

You cannot move at all once you've scoped in, and there's a short scoping in and scoping out animation that cannot be bypassed, and you are immobile during this animation.

Basically the tradeoff requires you to use the rifle tactically, and leaves you highly vulnerable to being countered, unless you have the skills to make it work. In return, you get the straight bolt... annnd more. Now there's some things that cannot be touched by this, you cannot increase ROF, projectile velocity, or base dmg, as that would change the game dynamics significantly, it would mean you likely HAVE to deal with this sniper, and that's not something any respectable game developer would ever allow to happen.

However, there are some things that I think are safe enough to touch, here's some examples:
    • Duration/Recharge of breath
    • Increase critical damage (Saayyy by 25% (multiplicative)... meaning headshots would always kill in one hit except vs heavies with shields up - I think some people *might* be interested in this)
    • Increased recoil recovery (since the recoil recovery rate is already faster than you can shoot, this is purely for usability)
    • Increase range of equipped irnv? (yes there is in fact a irnv scope for snipers)
    • Improve reload speed or always use short reload speed
    Anyways, just thought I'd type this one out before I forgot about it or thought about it more and realized it was a terrible idea. Not saying it's a good idea (thought at a glance it does seem pretty cool), this is just my way of saying I'm concerned with the idea of a straight bolt.

Edit: lol, I apparently misspelled "The" in the title. Awesome.
  2. Aimeryan

Heading to bed, so I'll be brief - it is a minor change at best, but has some important considerations.

Firstly, it has no interaction with skill at all. It simply allows you to make follow up shots that would have been impossible before because you couldn't see where the target went while unscoped.

Secondly, if they don't make bolt-actions retain their OHK on headshots against targets with nanoweave then the bolt-action needs some drastic rebalancing - part of which almost requires the straight bolt implementation to succeed. Again, it simply makes follow up shots possible that would have otherwise have been impossible due to not knowing which direction your target went (or which target it was amonst many after said target moved).

I really don't see the need for any further downsides at all given that nanoweave is the downside and this is a partial fix at best.
    • Up x 2