My next LA shotty?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eternaloptimist, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Eternaloptimist

I'm a member but I have an F2P account for mucking about.

Currently I am doing daft things as a low BR LA and I have got the first level directive on the default shotty. I am thinking of getting another but cannot make up my mind.

What would people recommend for an LA with average (at best) CQC skills?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Villainous Hydrosa

I recommend pump action shotguns. High risk/High reward. You have to be close for them to work right, but it's a 1-shot kill within 5m, and with slugs they become 1-shot headshot kills up to 27m. If you miss, you'll likely be killed before you can get your next shot off, but if not, the second shot will likely kill, assuming you at least clipped the target with the first shot.

For each faction, the pump-action shotguns are,
    VS: Deimos VA29, Phobos VX86
    TR: TAS-16 Blackhand, GD-66 Claw
    NC: LA39 Bruiser, TRS-12 Uppercut.

The Deimos, Blackhand, and Bruiser are the stronger options for each faction.
    The Phobos, Claw, and Uppercut have tighter pellet spread(by .5), and more ammo, but have 1 less pellet, making missing even more punishing.

I recommend using pump actions with ambusher jump jets, and flash grenades. Bonus if you have rank 5 Nightmare implant.
  3. Demigan

Most players seem to love the Baron, allthough it beats me why. It sacrifices the DPS of a shotgun for a bit of extra range.

I would stick to the semi-auto's. It's an unpopular opinion, but shotgun's biggest advantage is the immense damage per magazine and semi-auto's have the most of that. The semi-auto also means you spend a teensy bit more time lining up the shot well, giving you a better chance of a kill.

The auto-shotty is good for 1v1's, but it goes through ammo incredibly fast and if you are at a bit of range you might end up firing your entire magazine and have your opponent still standing.

Pump-actions are good for 1v1's if you have aim, and in a good situation can allow you to take down multiple opponents in a row, something the auto-shotty has trouble with. Basically a skillful 1v1 weapon.
  4. Campagne

The auto-shotguns just rip through enemies up close, easily the best shotguns in the game, in my opinion.

*Blackjack, Uppercut
    *Bruiser, Claw
    • Up x 1
  5. Eternaloptimist

Thanks guys - not so sure of my aim although I'm tending towards the pump action, which is the weapon of choice for MLG Pros farming me (apart from the "hero" pros BR 100 and above who use dumb fire launchers and sniper rifles). I'm in no great hurry to make a decision so I'll think on it some more while I keep working on my carbine directive.
  6. chamks

the default carbines are the best carbines for each faction!!)
  7. Villainous Hydrosa

Right, thanks! I'll edit my post in a moment.
    And yeah, auto shotguns are awesome in CQC. Less punishing than pump-actions. I still prefer pump actions for my LA, but auto-shoties for my engie.
  8. Villainous Hydrosa

Couldn't edit my original post, so just for anyone reading this for shotgun thoughts:

For each faction, the pump-action shotguns are,
    VS: Deimos VA29, Phobos VX86
    TR: TAS-16 Blackjack, TRS-12 Uppercut.
    NC: LA39 Bruiser, GD-66 Claw