My new PC, I need help

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Pfundi, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Pfundi

So yeah, its basically my first time selecting all of the PC parts myself so Im pretty noobish here.
    I mainly want to run Battlefield 4, Far Cry 4 and most often Planetside 2. My Budget is around 850€ (so probably 850$ atm).

My choice so far:
    -179€ IntelCore i5 4460 Boxed (not going to change that if not absolutely necessary cause its so cheap n good)
    -48€ 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 RAM 1.600MHz
    -85€ ASRock H97 Pro4 Mainboard
    -40-80€ for PSU
    -12€ Samsung DVD Player
    -50€ for the case (is this the right word?), going to pick that at the store of the guys building it for me
    -50€ 500GB HDD (for all the stuff n Games)
    -52€ 120GB Kingston SSD (For Win, Chrome, Steam n Planetside)
    -40€ Build and Windows (the guys at the local store, a fair price I guess?)
    -289€ Sapphire Radeon R9 290 new edition

So what do you basically think? I cant afford extra coolers atm, but ill probably upgrade by next year.
    More Storage on the HDD isnt needed as I still got a 1TB external lying around with all documents n programming n stuff.

My main question is what PSU to pick (thats avaiable in Germany) for the R9 290 (if that card is the right choice) because I was told that a 750W is needed at least.

The only thing Im considering additionally atm is an CPU or GPU cooler as they are only like 10 bucks. I care neither for the sound that thing makes nor for the heat as long as it isnt damaging my system. So is this worth it?

Thank you much and sorry for my English, its a little rusted atm :D
  2. Slash Hammer

Hi Pfundi,
    from all I read in the forums so far, you should not buy an AMD graphics card. PS2 'prefers' Nvidia. A GTX 970 wiill add 50-90 € to your budget, but maybe you can do it?
    The Radeon needs 250 W, the GTX less than 160 W. I doubt that you will need more than 750 W.
    Investing in good cooling is worthwhile because cooler system = faster system.
    40 € for assembling and installing is cheap.
    And - do not play PS2 via Steam. It's another background process eating performance :)

I am using a GTX 660 Ti, resulting in 55-60 fps in very large battles and 110 fps at the warp gate. (Shadow medium, render qual 90, high on all other settings, but 16 GB RAM). So your new system should do even better...
    • Up x 1
  3. breeje

-50€ 500GB HDD (for all the stuff n Games)
    change this to 1TB if you can fit it in your budget

-52€ 120GB Kingston SSD (For Win, Chrome, Steam n Planetside)
    change this to 250GB, +50€, you will need this

40-80€ for PSU
    make sure to buy a A brand with 80+ efficient energy use
    double your budget for it, you will be thanking me for it later

-40€ Build and Windows (the guys at the local store, a fair price I guess?)
    yes it's fair price

-289€ Sapphire Radeon R9 290 new edition
    what Slash Hammer said

The only thing Im considering additionally atm is an CPU or GPU cooler as they are only like 10 bucks. I care neither for the sound that thing makes nor for the heat as long as it isnt damaging my system. So is this worth it?
    if your not overclocking you will not need it
  4. Ahorn

Well, for the graphics card, I do prefer Nvidia also for their support and general better performance, but I got a r9 280x and the game runs like a charm and doesn't drop under 70 fps in BIG battles (everything on high/ultra except shadows and vegetation).
    • Up x 1
  5. Pfundi

For the graphics card: The R9 290 is the maximum my budget can get me, so no probably not. But it seems to be enough for Far Cry 4 (a friend told me, hes using an FX 8350 CPU) so it should be enough for Planetside.
    At first default cooling seems to be all I can purchase now, but Ill upgrade later for sure.

So I chose an Cooler Master 600W PSU B600 with a 80+ rating and 46A at 12V. Its pretty cheap at only 50€ but the reviews are better than on some of the higher priced ones.
    Thank you all for your input!
    • Up x 1
  6. lukassoo

On your place I would really get a Nvidia card. It has better support (Nvidia GeForce Experience). You get all updates as they get out, you can optimize the game to fit your card with one button (ofc it's not perfect but you can tweak it), and when you'll ever want to record something ShadowPlay is awesome. It can run in shadow mode slowing down the card by just 5-10% and have the last few minutes always saved so if you get like a sick kill streak you just hit alt+F10 and you have it and I think the card runs cooler as Slash Hammer said "cooler system = faster system."
  7. Maxence822

I think its good. Don't change the 290 its a great card at a good price! Just make sure to keep it cool. My personal preference would lead me to using an AMD FX CPU but thats just me and Planetside 2 (and virtually every other game) runs better on intel so go with that! You may want to spend a bit more on the PSU. Good price for Windows. I think for 289 you can find a better card though
  8. Pfundi

Well the only NVidia cards I could buy with around the same budget are the GTX 960 (200€) and GTX 770 (255€), the cards performing as well as the R9 290 are all like 320€ so thats 50€ more and till now I really dont have a reason to pick the GTX 970 over the R9 290.
    By the way Im an AMD fanboy, always had AMD cards, never had problems with drivers and always better Performance than my NVidia friends (at same budget). But it may just be due to the fact that I grew into computers during the reign of the 7970 :D
    • Up x 1
  9. Pfundi

Is there a better video card than the R9 290 for 289€ or what do you mean? :confused:
    Yeah I thought about the FX 8350 long time as its 20€ less expensive at around the same performance (a little worse maybe), but with that id definitely overclock and that would make me buy additional coolers and a different mainboard, etc.
    Another basic question: Do I really need a DVD player anymore? I just feel like its 20 bucks wasted... So how often do you use yours? (DVD Player for TV is avaiable)
  10. Maxence822

I had one and took it out as it made cable management tougher (I do love my cable management) and I never used it. Its really up to you. COuld be useful potentially depending on what you do with the PC
    • Up x 1
  11. Pfundi

So I was at the local market and ordered (without a DVD Player).²
    Im going to tell you the final price and the performance in Planetside 2.
  12. Slash Hammer

I installed GTA V from the (beautiful) DVD package, but, yeah, I know... old school :cool: That's the only thing I used a DVD player for in the last two years ;)
    • Up x 1
  13. Pfundi

This kind of made me laugh :D
    • Up x 1
  14. Lord_Mogul

Since you said available in Germany, I assume you are here and can read german?

May I suggest the default choice from the PCGamesHardware forums?
    http://geizhals.de/be-quiet-pure-po...l8-cm-430w-bn180-a679523.html?hloc=at&hloc=de
    Or choose a bigger one if you want to run multiple cards or are really concerned that it might be to small.

Also take a look into this thread about recommendable PSUs? (For general information)
    http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=926679

http://geizhals.de/cooler-master-hyper-t4-rr-t4-18pk-r1-a859058.html?hloc=at&hloc=de
    http://geizhals.de/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-a684731.html
    Or if you have enough room in your case:
    http://geizhals.de/thermalright-hr-02-macho-rev-a-100700717-a830474.html
    (A great cooler, have it sitting on my chip, too. But that thing is HUGE)
    • Up x 1