MR11 Gatekeeper

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Acestar, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Flag

No you don't.

Well, you still do more -per shot- but overall the GK wins the long term dps competition, because the saron has to reload -frequently-.
  2. Stormsinger

I've said what I have to say about the Gatekeeper at the moment, look at my posting history, and you will find a detailed analysis of each weapon, links to TTK videos, etc. It has a velocity of 200 past that of any other ES secondary in the game, and enough potency to farm vehicles at range - it's an extremely potent weapon, and probably overly so.

If you are going to post a number, please do a bit of testing in the VR when possible, or do a bit of data diving - here's the basic TTK numbers for AV secondaries, as of a week-ish ago (Don't think any resist values have changed yet)

That said, see the following for more details (Not my post / data collection, but I tested them, most values are within ~1.5 seconds of theoretical TTK)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/3ihbxj/comparison_of_harasser_esav_weapons/

And my post here
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...-av-pre-nerfed-ppa.232840/page-7#post-3273538

Prowler Rear TTK:
    Close Range ESAV
    Aphelion (no upgrades, continuous fire) - 6.72 s - no reload needed
    Aphelion (with bursts) - 6.38 s - no reload needed
    M96 Mjolnir (no upgrades) - 6.77 s - no reload needed
    Vulcan (no upgrades) - 5.36 s - no reload needed
    Long Range ESAV
    Saron (no upgrades) - 10.17 s
    Saron (max reload) - 9.65 s
    Enforcer (no upgrades) - 9.20 s
    Enforcer (max reload) - 9.13 s (the difference is mainly human error, the single round reload makes little difference)
    MR11 Gatekeeper (no upgrades) - 11.43 s
    MR11 Gatekeeper (max mag size) - 9.78 s - no reload needed
    MR11 Gatekeeper (max reload) - 11.00 s

Sunderer TTK:
    Close Range ESAV
    Aphelion (no upgrades, continuous fire) - 14.2 s
    Aphelion (no upgrades, with bursts) - 10.85 s - no reload needed
    Aphelion (max mag size , continuous fire) - 13.77 s
    Aphelion (max reload, continuous fire) - 13.74 s
    M96 Mjolnir (no upgrades) - 8.77 s - no reload needed
    Vulcan (no upgrades) - 12.57
    Vulcan (max mag size) - 12.54 s
    Vulcan (max reload) - 12.15 s
    Long Range ESAV
    Saron (no upgrades) - 14.05
    Saron (max reload) - 12.40 s
    Enforcer (no upgrades) - 12.90 s
    Enforcer (max reload) - 12.08 s
    MR11 Gatekeeper (no upgrades) - 13.84 s
    MR11 Gatekeeper (max mag size) - 13.75 s
    MR11 Gare keeper (max reload) - 13.19

The only things on this list that can kill you in ~5 seconds are the Vulcan, the Aphelion, and the Mjolnir. The Gatekeeper takes just shy of 10 seconds, not counting your shield. If you are out in the open with no cover, no friendly vehicles, and no supporting air - yes, you can be sniped from range quite easily, I sat on a hill with a harasser for three hours last night, doing nothing but sniping vehicles, infantry and air from 400-700 meters - I stopped counting vehicle kills at ~70.

I am not debating that the Gatekeeper isn't overpowered, but it's no Vulcan.

Advice for surviving:
    Act like you are under fire by a Lancer squad - Travel only near other vehicles, and if you are up front, try to be in a line, rather then racing out ahead of others - if you aren't in front, you probably won't be fired at.

Keep cover between you and high ground when possible. Hang out near rocks and under trees, bushes can be good cover from being spotted, but not always.

If the damage markers are coming from above you, and you don't see aircraft - assume a non rendering gatekeeper. Damage events are small, but frequent, and reload speed is less then 2 seconds. If fire persists rapidly, but not rapidly enough to be a nosegun or a Shredder, then it's probably a gatekeeper - get to cover behind something high, and get as close to it as possible, even a few pixels sticking out is still an easy target.

With a shield up, you will last a minimum of 13-15 seconds taking gatekeeper fire to rear armor, which has 30% damage reduction. If you turn to flank the damage source, side / top armor is 65% and if cover is closer to the damage source, turn towards it for 68% front armor.

Gatekeepers have a sniper rifle's velocity, so if you get out to repair, and you aren't sure if you're in sufficient cover, run to the opposite side of the vehicle from where you were taking damage before repairing.

The vehicles I target tend to be the ones furthest from the pack - this typically means a flanking tank / sunderer. If you are going to be flanking, try to pick a side without high ground in the general vicinity of the base you are flanking towards, especially if that high ground is near enemy territory, even if it's far from the front line lattice link. (Alternately, harasser yourself up into the high ground with a Mjolnir / C4. At close range, the Mjolnir trumps the Gatekeeper by a few seconds, and there's typically not all that much maneuvering room atop mountains where I find Gatekeepers are best used (1/3 sniping, at least) So even long range harasser obnoxiousness can be countered by hunting them yourself. Solo gunning gatekeeper campers are frequently oblivious, i've run up to a number of them on my VS / NC, and around 1 in 10 bothers to react to the sound of jetpacks.
    • Up x 3
  3. Scr1nRusher

Hes clearly a Agent of Chaos.
  4. Alexkruchev

The Gatekeeper is actually not a high dps vehicle weapon. It is only on par with the Enforcer and the Saron (Though the Saron loses out a bit over time in exchange for the Saron's ability to magdump very fast, something the Gatekeeper and Enforcer cannot do).

The Gatekeeper's gripe is it's too accurate and maintains it's damage too well over distance. In reality, the Gatekeeper is fine. What is wrong is that all the other AV mounted weapons have been nerfed so hard it's not funny. (Enforcer is complete crap at distance, and doesn't hold up up close either).

We should just buff the MV on the Enforcer (not the Saron, it already has no bullet drop and perfect accuracy when used right, maybe a 10% buff there, at most). The Gatekeeper I think should keep it's accuracy, as it already does have bullet drop. But 500m/s is too much, I vote for about 400ish, since it's a rocket launcher, not a cannon. (I mean, the Basilisk barely moves faster than 500). Also, the basilisk needs to get a maaajor upgrade. At least 50% accuracy buff, as currently it serves no purpose whatsoever, especially for the TR to which the Gatekeeper is a flat upgrade.
    • Up x 1
  5. EViLMinD

There is a bigger learning curve. But, once your used to the velocity/drop, the Enforcer is very accurate at long range. Shame more people don't realize this.

I solo Harasser with the Enforcer often. If I can own with it, anyone can.
    • Up x 1
  6. Stormsinger

The Saron does 284 damage per shot at 300 RPM, 6 shots per reload, 3 second reload time.
    The Gatekeeper does 170 damage per shot at 160 RPM, 30 shots per reload, 1.75 second reload time.

If we assume that both have been upgraded identically, that brings the Saron to 2.55 second reload, and the Gatekeeper to 1.25 second reload (The Magazine size cert option is out, since the Saron doesn't have it too.)

Assuming that we want accurate fire, which requires waiting a half second between shots, that drops the Saron's fire rate to 120 RPM.

I have put a graph together to illustrate a point, using the following values.
    Saron: 284 Damage a shot, 120 RPM, 2.55 second reload
    Gatekeeper: 170 damage a shot, 160 RPM, 1.25 second reload

The graph describes 25 seconds of accurate fire from the Saron and the Gatekeeper.

[IMG]

When firing accurately, the Saron wins for the first magazine, the Gatekeeper pulls ahead from there, there's absolutely no contest - gatekeeper wins at range.

This graph is of the Saron firing at full 300 RPM potential, which means the target must be approximately nine inches from your left nostril on a day with no wind at exactly noon to actually land all your hits, due to extreme spam-induced bloom.
    [IMG]

(NOTE,this does not include any resist shenanigans, I'm still trying to locate the actual resist values for vehicles for each weapon type, but assuming the gatekeeper and the Saron have relatively close resistance values - the scaling is accurate, if not the numbers.)

Given the 4000 health of a MBT... The Saron wins slightly at blowing up armor when glued to its target's hull. For the Saron to win vs the Gatekeeper, you need to be able to count the VS pilot's nosehairs. The Gatekeeper, assuming pefect accuracy at range on full auto, can do it from 700 meters.

Edit: PM me if you want the excel sheet I used to generate this, i'll set up a dropbox or some such.
    • Up x 4
  7. HadesR

8. Stormsinger

Yep, I fully expect that they are discussing changes internally, and are avoiding mentioning it to the community to avoid the landslide of ... less then polite feedback that usually occurs when stat adjustments are discussed.
  9. ALN_Isolator

"No you don't." *proceeds to say that it actually does but the gatekeeper has a larger magazine, which is a faction trait of the TR, and thinks this will somehow validate his argument*
  10. CMDante

So you're saying that the Gatekeeper excels at long range but the Saron is more powerful up close and has increased versatility while the GK is solely focused on one thing. What's the problem?

Edit: I'd be fine with DBG lowering the mag size Slowing down the reload to be more TR if everyone would finally shut the hell up and enjoy the new toys.
  11. Flag

Nowhere was it said if it was damage per shot, or damage over time. Just "damage". And in this situation the damage over time is the useful number.
  12. Scr1nRusher

FYI

They decreased the GateKeeper-H damage from 170 to 160 on the PTS.
  13. WeRelic

Not only does it have to reload frequently, you have to contend with a serious CoF at the ranges the GK can just keep plinking away.

It's not overpowered, but it's not well balanced either.
    • Up x 1
  14. Moridin6

feel any different? bastard nails me wherever i go at whatever range, and the harassers are not afraid to close the distance so this "not good for cqc" i keep hearing doesnt seem to really be the case
  15. Flag

Eh why did you quote me for that?
  16. OldMaster80

Ravens hurt, sometimes they are actually ridicolous...
    But in the big scheme of things I think it's ok NC have such a long range weapon. After all they have the less flexible ES rocket launcher, and most of their Max Weapon trade range for damage. Personally when I'm harassed by Ravens I think "Hey, let's have an Archer party!".

Sure they are one step above the other factions AV weapons but sometimes this might feel ok.
  17. WeRelic

"No you don't.

Well, you still do more -per shot- but overall the GK wins the long term dps competition, because the saron has to reload -frequently-."

I was agreeing and expanding on what you said. Thats all :)
  18. Ragnarox

It need ZOE nerf. It has no bullet drop plus great velocity. They have close range OP av killer (vulcan) and now long range OP av killer (gatekeeper). Something is needed and that is ZOE heavy nerf or PPA medium nerf.
  19. Scr1nRusher

facepalm
  20. Scr1nRusher

What vehicle are you using?