Moved from 750 ti to 970, quite a noticeable difference

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by zu2, Jan 9, 2015.

1. zu2

So I moved from an nvidia gtx 750 ti to an msi gtx 970 4g gaming video card tonight. I was able to increase settings to ultra and high from medium for things like textures, graphics quality, models, etc. (shadows medium, particles, effects and flora low) and I set render quality to 1.410000 to use super-sampling. Big difference in what you could see and react too. I took smoothing off so I could track frame rate. Frames stayed consistently above 60 in all but the biggest fights, which I sought out. Absolute lowest it got was high 20's in one of those insane stairway fights where you have a huge amount of action in a very short time. With the 970 I could actually see all the people trying to dash up the stairs and take action to try and kill them, whereas before the frame rate took such a hit that they were either invisible or barely noticed.

If you are considering moving up to a 970, my personal opinion it is very worthwhile.
    • Up x 3
  2. Foxirus

That was pretty much double what you had. Of course you are going to notice a massive difference. What's your PSU running?
  3. zu2

I don't know exactly, but I've got a 700 watt PSU and the 970 is supposed to pull 148. No problems noticed.
  4. Foxirus

I was gonna buy a 970, But my 550Ti is still pulling me 60-100 frames so long as I keep shadows turned off. Everything else can be maxed out. I can't warrant spending $350 right now just to have shadows back.
  5. NinjaKirby

If anyone's considering it but not heard, SLI seems a bit redundant. I picked up two GTX760 EVGA cards, running SLI with them PS2 could gain a small (like 10%) increase in frame rate initially, but for some time now it has also resulted in very frequent FPS Dips; every few seconds it can judder.

It's possible tampering with my Driver profile with Nvidia Inspector can fix it, as I've read on a website specifically for PS2 optimisation before, but the few forays I tried didn't remedy it. So now I just say ***-it, one card handles Ultra well enough in most situations (30 Frames minimum in the worst of battles).

I realise Forgelight isn't SLI "oriented", before anyone says "Well DUUUH, NinjaKirby", heh.
  6. WUNDER8AR

What's your VRAM usage with these settings and CPU are you using?
  7. No_STG

Waiting on upgrading myself, hardware news sites are reporting that the GTX 960 comes out some time this month. Waiting on that to see the performance and price.
  8. Pikachu

I went from gtx660 Ti to gtx 970 recently and I got 0 difference. Still 30fps in big fights. I7 2600k, 12gb ram. Most settings on ultra.
    • Up x 1
  9. Nexus545

I went from a 460 to the 970 this week. I don't think I need to say how much of a difference there is for me lol.

Constant 60fps. I avoid the massive fights though but even then I reckon it will be the CPU to bottleneck me.
  10. Wargrade

This game hates SLI. Also a CPU upgrade will do more for you then anything with this game.
  11. Rockit

This game is pretty much about single core clock rate. If there was a 10Ghz E8500 it would run this game far better than any modern 8 core 4 Ghz CPU.
  12. ronjahn

I went from a AMD HD 6870 to a nvidia gtx 580 recently, and then back to my 6870 after about a week when the 580s fans failed(older second hand card that I paid almost nothing for so no big deal)

The frames were about equal, with the 580 getting me a bit smoother frames at times. The major noticably differences really are the quality of the image, especially from further distances. When I had the 580 in, the image just looked crisper and in better focus. I was able to easily see and track infantry targets at a much further range and the game as a whole looked a bit more polished. With the 6870 back in I am getting similar performance, but tracking targets at further range has become more difficult and the game looks like it lost a level of detail.

I7 2600k
    8gb RAM
    520w power supply(should I upgrade, I've had a few computer turn offs recently and think this may be the culprit)
    HIS AMD HD 6870 and hopefully soon back to the GTX 580 if I can fix the fans
  13. zu2

I'm on a quad core i5-2550 at 3.4 ghz with 12 gig of ram. The same thing you're seeing with the 580 is what I see between the 750 and 970. With the 750 I enabled smoothing, everything was on medium or low. With the 970 and many settings on high or ultra and super-sampling enabled, I'm getting similar frames to the 750, but with the 970 it is as if frames or data aren't being dropped. Example: I'm in a max suit and infantry closes to try and get in tight. With the 750, I might lose sight of them for a split second. Not so with the 970. So 970 is doing something to help with cqc fights. Increase in computation capability? Something is going on that makes the game smoother and less jerky besides the frame rate.
  14. Syphers

yea the 970 seem like the perfert price/high-performance ratio right now with less power consumption than the 290, this is what ill buy in 5-6months to replace my 270x
  15. TriumphantJelly

Would buying a better graphics card than the 760 (which is quite good anyway) help get m better frames on mixed settings? Or will I have to get a better processor (I have an AMD Athlon dual core processor, 3.4 gHz) to keep above 30 in large fights (Guessing the latter)?

If the former, I might consider taking a look at the 970 (but I probably just need to get an Intel processor to do well in ps2 :p)
  16. iller

Yeah this makes sense for all Ultra fluff ... No real surprises here. Some gameplay advantages too if you could reduce Bloom/Specular

...unless it were to also magically make the lower and lowest settings also run faster. But those are slim odds
    (certain settings reduce or don't add any extra load to CPU choke ... others do ... and ppl need to keep that in mind)
  17. Syphers

Yep get an intel
  18. z1967

Got a 970 and a i5 4690K:
    -turned everything up to Ultra/Max on 1080p
    -have never dipped below 30 fps
    -game looks gorgeous
    -yes I have Flora AND shadows on. Its that beefy for a GPU.

I regret nothing. My 660 wouldn't have been able to pull all that off. The new i5 is gonna be great once my HSF arrives so I can do some OC on that bad boy.