[Guide] Most Useful Heavy Assault Certs Guide (Beginner/Intermediate)

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Wrel, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Wrel Developer

Agree/Disagree?

Let me know what you think!
    • Up x 2
  2. Maellean

Great guide as always.

I like your take on the shield capacitors for the heavy, though I think they may benefit more of a lone wolf style of play. If pushing the front lines or assaulting a base any of the other suits may be better. It has made me wonder how well the capacitor might work on a combat medic given their ability to self heal. Will make that a project and see if a low downtime aggressive combat medic would do well with the suit.

Your take on the starting weapons was spot on for the most part. One thing that may need to be mentioned to new players is that the Gauss Saw REQUIRES 330 to 430 certs dumped into it before it starts being competitive in mid range and destroying in long range. Before that it can be incredibly frustrating to use for a new players, especially compared to the other faction's default LMGs. Something that also took me a little while to earn is that the GAUSS SAW has to be fired in short quick bursts more than pretty much any other gun. You can't just lay on the full auto in mid or even close range like you can with the CARV or ORION and expect to hit anything short of a wall. Oh, and try not to hip fire the SAW unless the barrel is pretty much tickling the other player in the face. Uhm, I had another point to make but went slightly off topic. Oh yeah, the 250 100 cert GD-22 might be a good alternative for a new player, as it good to use right out of the box, and won't leave you feeling weak in CQC.

Concussion grenades are, in my opinion, a straight upgrade over frags on a Heavy. You already have plenty of bullets in a gun to clear a room, and a rocket launcher. Concussions, just like flash bangs, have the ability to cripple a sudden rush, or make point captures a lot less painful. Yes, they can be tricky to use. All the more reason to get them early and practice with them often.

So...yes. Despite all the text above, I agree with the guide. :p Love the footage. Thanks for all the work you put into your guides.
  3. Rudette

Overall:

A great guide as usual. I really like your channel---it's full of alot of great information that has improved my game vastly. Even the shorts with random tips---infact I think I've gotten the most mileage out of the fall damage video! Your commentary is pleasent to listen to. I appreciate your concise tactful behavior and tendancy avoid bias. I've just been playing a few weeks now but I'll go ahead fill you in on what I think:

Resist Shield:

Resist shield gives it's full damage reduction benefit at first level!

Compared to the cert investment you have to pour into the other two shields I think it's fantastic to start here especially if the player in question is a nanoweave user as the two have great synergy. Even if the player wishes to use Adrenaline shield in the long hall, a pit-stop at the first rank of resist shield can really help them invest certs elsewhere until they round out their Heavy enough to start pursuing Adrenaline Shield!

Restoration kit:

There are situations where you can apply restoration kit in an preemptive/offensive manner!

For example, perhaps you know there are two or three NC guarding the capture point in the next room. Before going into your corner peek you apply your restoration kit and turn on your resist shield. First guy get's a Decimator rocket to the face, break line of sight behind the corner again and switch to your primary, next two taken out by your primary (hopefully). This is a "I must take this room" tactic. A concussion grenade further cements victory!

I feel like restoration shield has the synergy best with Resist + Nanoweave by virtue of adding to their inherent synergy!

Faction LMGs:

Your commentary on the faction LMGs are spot on and describe their strengths and weaknesses perfectly. Personally out of the three I love the Orion the most even though I main TR. I have a Vanu alt solely because I love taking this weapon for a spin from time to time!

ASC Video Request:

I really like the ASC too though I haven't assembled a load out that utilizes it yet outside of experimentation with my medic. I first realized it's potential by breaking line of sight, healing up, and re-engaging quickly--- I was able to slow the advance of infantry coming out of NC sundy awhile back on some very rough terrain. I ended up having to engage with my pistol after my AR ran out of ammo.

ASC seems to excel when you can break line of sight as you mention, I theorize it would work well in conjunction with styles that capitalize on hitting hard and fast such as a Pump Action + Adrenaline Shield Heavy or a hit-and-run Light Assault as it minimizes down time between targets which could potentially extend kill streaks.

Since breaking line of sight is the single most obvious way to utilize it might also benefit sniping loadouts such as an engineer or heavy with a battle rifle could benefit by maintaining the distance to safely take cover, recharge, and reengage--ultimately throwing more rounds down range in a shorter amount of time.

One loudout idea I think might be fun is ASC, Claymores to guard your back, battle rifle, and Striker/Annihilator--built specifically for fighting from the cliffside vantage points in southeastern Indar.

I would really like to see a video highlighting any uses you may have found for the ASC, to get it some attention that it otherwise might not get! That, and it would be neat to see the ingenuitive uses you would no doubt come up with!
  4. Takoita

Resist shield is a very solid option despite Adrenaline's higher skill cieling advantages. But it has some bugs at the moment; for example, you should be ready to turn it off earlier than you think it would last - it seems to have a certain recieved damage threshold after which the visual effect disappears (and the practical effect with it) but the movement penalty and battery drain persists. It is also much less effective at absorbing falling damage.

Personally I disagree with weapon review provided (namely, with the CARV part; IMHO, literally every other TR LMG choice - including MCG - would be better), so I would advise everyone looking into this guide for information to always VR test + trial in-game any and all guns you wanna get. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference - a 100 cert foregrip won't help you if you can't stand the weapon itself after all :D