Mortars for the Engineer Class

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Shaveitupwow, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Shaveitupwow

Hello, I am a fellow PS2 player as well as you probably are. I love this game with a passion since the first time I laid eyes on it... "ha! Gay"... Anyways, I would like to say I have quit WoW (a game I played for 6 years nonstop) for this game. No regrets, whatsoever! Anyways, I have an idea that may have a great outcome or a really ****** one.. There is one possibility I think can go wrong with this idea.. and that is the friendly fire issue. But, it probably won't be as bad as I am thinking. "Get to the Point man".. Alright, alright..... My idea is having another option between the Engineer Turrets and a Mortar. Yes, I said a mortar.. I'm honestly surprised we don't have one as it is. I'm thinking a mortar(s) which could be used as a replacement with the turret to be used as a stationary undercover option.. The Mortar will be used as an anti infantry out in the battlefield and might even do some damage to nearby vehicles.... The Mortar will also have a really small chance on impact of not detonating... as seen in one of the episodes of "Band of Brothers" (a WW2 based TV series).. Highly recommend watching if you haven't yet. Examples in scenario... Say you have a man behind a rock or some type of cover.. He will set up a stationary area behind cover allowing him to position area of impact and soon firing the Mortar.. I am thinking you would have more than just one mortar... Or else that would be really boring. The mortar should have an after effect of "splash damage" based on how close and how far you are from the mortar... Maybe a 5-10 meter range of Splash damage at tops. (1-2 one shotting you) (3-4 maybe 5 taking out the whole shield and maybe a little bit of health) and you get the rest of the point.

Thanks so much for reading my idea guys.. :D I really hope it gets somewhere! I do realize I may not be the first person to come up with the "Mortar idea" but I hope my speech gets us to a start! Again, thanks a ton to anyone who helps this idea get somewhere and Please, Please leave your opinions on the problems with this idea and how we can address these issues!

Thanks in advanced, Fellow Ps2 Player
  2. Liewec123

i took a hammer to your wall of text ;)

its an interesting idea, mortars are fun, i'm not sure if it should be limited to just engi though, apparently with Ant and resources coming we'll be able to construct base turrets anywhere, a mortar bunker would be an awesome addition!
  3. Raysen

As we are already in Battlefield class theme, can I also suggest to allow the engie tool damage enemy vehicles? It feels so annoying to be on foot near them and be completely unable to damage them even if they didn't notice you ._.
    • Up x 2
  4. Deffington

I like it. But how would you direct fire on it? When you are in cover, you can't see where your projectile will hit. There is also a question about ammo. If you get only few shots, it wouldn't be any good. If you get some kind of infinite ammo (heat mechanics, ammo pack, or sundy standing nearby) it might be too good. Lets say it is heat mechanics with long cooldown, then you shoot, abandon your turret, and use your primary weapon until a new shell is ready - that is not what I would like. Maybe it would be better if you had to create a new shell with your nanite tool, so you can't do anything between shots.

Engie tool deconstructing all enemy nanites, yay! Melt enemy tanks and turrets with your tool lvl 6!
  5. Pfundi

Well, I dont want to interrupt your wet engineer dreams. But I think the engie has enough tools already. So do all other classes (LA is debateable). We would need 1 additional class and make the other ones more Battlefield like. But thats just me.
    And if this isnt possible, just add that stuff. Better to have it on some class than not having it at all.
  6. Nogrim313

i think its obvious the engie would be the one to get the indirect fire tool.

the question is how do you implement it with out it being crap, or completely annoying to everyone else.

i think the aiming system is the biggest hurdle. BF imo did a pretty good job of it by bringing up a minimap with the cone of fire displayed and then you aim using the cursor on the map then click to fire.

obviously these things would need pretty obvious projectile trails so people would know where it was coming from, being able to set it up and then fire it remotely from a few meters away would prevent it from being completely suicidal to use. like the AV turret it could reveal its placement when it fires
  7. DeadlyPeanutt

lol, if they don't notice me, they explode:
    tank mines
    C4

i LOVE sneaking up on an MBT or sundie and making it go boom!
  8. DeadlyPeanutt

from an engie class perspective, mortars would be a lot of fun, another natural choice in the turret slot.
    I can see engies setting up behind a hill and spamming the doorways and windows of a cap point.
    or setting up on a hill and spamming a spawn during an attack

from a game meta perspective, there is already a lot of explosive spam in PS2... I'm not sure we need more
  9. cobaltlightning

As much as I'd be for the option, I think that's what the underbarrel Grenade Launcher is for.

As an engie, you already got infinite ammo, so go to town with it. Granted the range could be better, but sometimes beggars can't be choosers.
  10. JojoTheSlayer

11. Shiaari

I always thought the game needed mortar, and I'd like to add something to the idea.

Anyone here ever play Tribes? Remember the fusion mortar? Remember when a scout could paint (lase) a target and any juggernaut carrying a fusion mortar would get an aim point projected on their screen to hit it with?

Let's do that, give the Engineer a mortar type turret, and then give Infiltrators and Light Assaults target markers.
    • Up x 1
  12. Serialkillerwhale

Eh, honestly that's better left for the heavier artillery, when they arrive.