[Suggestion] More Infantry Death Animations

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by eldarfalcongravtank, Aug 1, 2014.

1. eldarfalcongravtank

i am kind of tired of watching the same old infantry dancing-to-death collapse animation that play every second time a soldier is killed in action.

we need more and better death animations for infantry:
    - an animation that depicts how a soldier keeps struggling to stay alive standing, reaching to his throat, then accepting it and dropping onto the ground
    - an animation of a soldier twirling through the air when he is hit hard by large-caliber guns
    - an animation of a soldier appearing to have his leg shot off and then instantly going down
    - an animation of a soldier still crawling on the ground like he is still not dead in the first moment

you have the animation experts, you come up with some believable and still exciting new death animations! please, for the sake of immersion and replay value
  2. ColonelChingles

The super-gory animations might run into international restrictions on gore in video game, thus affecting how the video game is rated.

Animations that involve somehow moving the player from one spot to another (like flying through the air) might mess with Medic rezzes.

And some people might not like the "not dead yet" animations as they continue to dump rounds into them not realizing that the player is dead.

But overall, I think it would be a more immersive idea. Don't even need real physics, just pre-made animations, possibly based on the direction from which the target was hit. I think the early Half Life games were like this... different animations based on how the target was killed, but were all preset.
  3. NC supporter

Do you think SOE has the time or resources to work on little things like this. They got a resource system, planned tweaking of weapons, and the maintenance of hossin to do. They don't have time for tiny things like these.
  4. Saber15

People who do animations are generally not the same people doing gameplay design.
    They have the time.
  5. SpartanPsycho

Soe has time to work on this because we give them our money.
  6. DatVanuMan

Tweaking of weapons? What do you mean?
  7. 7 Drunk Midgets

I'd like to see ragdolls personally.
    • Up x 1
  8. DorianOmega

Europeans could get silly gibs and no blood:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

plus so long as you don't show blood or make it appear fake, decapitation works with international censorship laws, just cant be unnecessary and brutal for the sake of being brutal.

Personally Id love to see more gore in this game, not for some sick interest but for the fact that this is a WAR SIMULATOR, Gore, blood, unnecessary death and brutality, and friendly fire are all real aspects of war, why dumb these down when you can already mass murder people...

Plus hasnt anybody seen this games trailer yet?

pretty bloody and gore filled if you ask me...
  9. ColonelChingles

What I really was going at was that this might change PS2 maturity ratings. For example, currently PS2 is rated by the ESRB as "T for Teen", meaning that it only contains a fairly low level of violence. Teen is generally set by the ESRB as suitable for those 13 and up, being one step above the 10+ category.

The requirement for the T rating is that it may contain violence and "minimal blood". If you have "intense violence" and "blood and gore", that bumps you up to the "M for Mature" rating, which is for those 17 and up.

Getting an M rating instead of a T rating can affect your game in all sorts of ways, from advertising to availability. It means that you suddenly lose the 13-17 demographic (at least the ones who didn't lie about their age). All sorts of problems can arise.

I'm not European, but if I remember correctly the EU uses the PEGI system, where PS2 is deemed suitable for those 16 and up (looks like Americans are just mature for their age :p). It is noted to have "realistic looking violence". Now a PEGI 18 game, like Borderlands 2, has "extreme violence" and so is rated higher. So essentially if you had Borderlands 2 levels of gore, which weren't that bad actually, you might risk PS2 being bumped up to PEGI 18.

Places like China don't have a video game rating system yet, so at least they get a pass.
  10. TheMatulaakLives

I'd like to see them too, but given that it would have to be on a massive scale, it would be hell on lower and mid grade processors. not to mention it would be weird for medics.

I'm thinking death animations like in Star Wars Battlefront 2. They got it right and it would be easy to implement.
  11. MrNature72

It's "tiny things like these" that separate the decent games from the truly outstanding ones.