Monthly reminder that nano-weave is preventing OHK bolt action headshots

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Hoki, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilDun

The problem is people use Nanoweave whenever they know they are at risk of being sniped. If you're sniping a tower, for example, players will quickly equip Nanoweave and you will be rendered useless.

Also, to the people who say Nanoweave 5 should protect against headshots: Sure, but not from the expensive/high-tier bolt action rifles (which have a slower reload time). Nanoweave should not be a hard counter to infiltrators.
  2. Aimeryan

Wow, that is really bad coding. It is not even the more 'sensible' mistake of making it apply to the shields too, but the much more horrendous mistake of applying it twice. So, we are meant to get OHKO (2 * 550 damage min.) at any range, we have just been screwed over by yet another bug.
  3. Vaphell

yes, and now imagine that all these people who were saying NW is meh because it only gives you paltry +12.5% bonus suddenly realize that the true value is not too shabby +25% and flock to NW en masse.

I am amazed that nobody figured it out for 6 months, i'd think analretentive min-maxers would reverse engineer the **** out the numbers to give them edge over opponents.
  4. m44v

I wonder what SOE will do, will it change nanoweave or will it change its description to match reality? Maybe they doubled the nanoweave bonus some updates ago as an experiment.
  5. Vaphell

25% is a substantial advantage over newcomers and they are supposed to be on a relatively even ground with high levels but fixing NW is a huge problem because it makes many weapons much more powerful, eg pump action shotguns get few meters of OHK range for free etc.
    Either way according to the advertised numbers we should OHK everybody but NW5, so either NW is toned down to make that happen or min damage of BASRs is pulled up to 600.
  6. Hoki

I'm still not ok with any level of NW making such a huge difference.

Unfortunately this feels like one of those things that won't change until like 3 years down the road when SOE looks into getting new blood into a dying game, where BR100 zergs all have NW5 on everything.

Could you imagine if vehicles had nanoweave? It'd utterly break any and all weapon balance depending on a goddamn suit slot.
    Hrmm, mineguard, composite armor, or 25% more HP.. decisions decisions~
  7. Vaphell

I am not ok either but i kinda give up :) Yes, the power creep permanently nerfing a whole class of weapons is a nasty problem but, given the situation we are currently in, such a change would still be a huge improvement - we would get OHKs against NW1-4 and 25m more of OHK against NW5, no more of that "be within 50m" nonsense.
  8. m44v

I believe we didn't have this double bonus since release, before there wasn't a headshot hitsound so we couldn't figure when a hit was a headshot or not, but I'm sure I never saw anybody survive two bodyshots during the first months. The first time I saw it I was so flabbergasted that I keep a video of it, and since then I see it occurring now and then.
  9. Aimeryan

Remember to upvote the bug forum post so that it gets looked at - it is now clearly a bug regardless of opinion and should be acknowledged as one.
  10. Jeroam

Does the NC longshot sniper rifle always OHK nano5 at close and medium range? if i cant OHK at extreme longer range, i can accept that nerf. But if i cant OHK at close or medium range against nano5 armour, then im quiting the game. Coz every 6 months more and more ppl will have nano5 eventually.
  11. Vaphell

yes, up to about 75m (should be ~100m according to numbers)

[IMG]
  12. justinbelieber

This really bothers me too. One hit head shots with a sniper rifle are the defining feature of the infiltrator class. Its really frustrating when it doesn't work.

Its especially annoying because hitting a long range target is harder than hitting a close range target. I should be rewarded for getting good headshots off. Not punished.

Also, nanoweave seems like the obvious choice of armor even without snipers. You are almost always going to be taking bullet damage.
    • Up x 2
  13. Vaphell

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/nanoweave-is-bugged-and-giving-double-health-bonus.124613/
    upvote. It's a new gameplay bugs thread putting NW in the limelight. It might be more effective at convincing devs to take some action than snipers complaining about not oneshotting people (affects 1 class and nobody likes snipers = non-issue)
    NW bug breaks all kind of assumptions and delicate balance, +25% bonus has no place in a game where skill is supposed to walk over the modest passives.
  14. Scan

A simple dmg increase on bolt-action rifles would solve the problem.

I believe a modest 50 dmg per bullet increase on all the bolt action rifles would largely solve the problem, without upsetting gamebalance. Chestshots will still not 1HK people.. and the extra 50 dmg, will not really be that big of an issue, as far as being hit by a sniperrifle goes.

This might mean that the Longshot and equivalents might 1HK everything at any range, but well... they are supposed to be the ultimate sniperrifle. 1000 certs, canceling out 1000 certs, sounds like a fair deal to me, and I honestly, how anyone could ever feel that a perfectly placed headshot from 1500 meters range, should not kill a target.

People should learn to not stand still. Giving them "net" to compensate for their failure will not teach them anything.

I use a suppressor. I have learned to calculate how much to lead the target, and how compensate for the bulletdrop. I practiced, and practiced and this day, 50% is a hit. Out of that 50%, roughly 80% is a headshot. Even when the target is on the move. I had to LEARN how to do this. And my opponents should LEARN to keep their bloody heads down.

Go ask yourself: How often do you, yourself, get 1 shotted by snipers, compared everything else?

And when you did get one shotted by a sniper, how many times were you standing still?

9 out of 10 times I bet. So, 9 out of 10 times, it's not so much the snipers' fault for shooting you, it's you yourself giving him the oppertunity to do so.

That means that the few times you did get 1 shotted by a sniper, while you were moving, he was a damn good shot, and he deserved that kill.
  15. Vaphell

yes, you can solve sniper's problems by simply ramping up dmg so the intended interaction of NW and BASRs is restored, but NW is a problem nonetheless. It gives too much survivability. You go from 5 magshot body shots on a BR1 char to 7 on NW5, it gives HA much more time to switch his ubershield on. There is a whole range of unintended consequences the bug has introduced. It would be much simpler to just fix the damn NW.
  16. justinbelieber

I really hope this gets fixed.
  17. Vaphell

sorry for bumping this thread but i have a question - does anybody know what exactly suppressors do to sniper weapons?
    i stumbled upon this description
    BASRs are not known, but let's say it's -10m to min dmg range. For lower tier weapons against NW5 we are already at ~50m OHK effective range and from now on we pretty much substract the suppressor penalty.
    -10m would set us back to ~40m.
    What if penalty is 15m? ~35m.
    Penalty of 25m like in case of semi-autos? ~25m.
    Suddenly i am not that surprised that the guy survived m44v's SAS-R HS across the small building.... but WT-actual-F?!
    i'll whip up some graph, i need to see this.

[IMG]
  18. Hoki

I demo the effects of a silencer on the SR-7 against NW5 in my video. Couldn't tell you a number value for how far away he is, but you can measure his height.
  19. YoXn

I really don't think Nanoweave should be touched. Instead just buff the bolt action snipers.
  20. DG-MOD-04

Locking this up to prevent further posts as this is quite a few months old. If the topic this thread deals with pertains to something you need or would like to talk about, however, please feel free to begin another thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.