Monthly reminder that nano-weave is preventing OHK bolt action headshots

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Hoki, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaphell

if you aren't close enough? yes.
    Approximate relation goes like this (assuming 1.83 multiplier)

[IMG]

If the rifle line is above the NWx threshold you win, if not, he does.
  2. m44v

While math does suggest that NW1 should be enough for survive a headshot, when I tested it with my medic I couldn't survive any. Dunno what's wrong.
  3. ColdCheezePizza

so If your wearing nano you might survive a headshot from extreme distances, but die to an AI mine. But if your wearing flak armor you might survive an AI mine, but die to a headshot from any distance. Want some ice cream with that cake Infils?
  4. giltwist

1) 75m is NOT "extreme distances" considering the BAR is perfectly capable of making headshots up to 400m and that many non-infiltrator weapons can make headshots up to 100m.

2) The cost of a prox mine is 200certs, this is MUCH closer to the cost of the level of flak necessary to survive a prox mine. The cost of our top tier BARs is 1000 certs, but the level of nanoweave needed costs you either 11 or 61 certs, depending on the range.
  5. Vaphell

well, maybe they did the lamest thing possible and simply hardcoded exception for the infiltrator, eg
    Code:
    hs_multiplier = ( target.class=='INF' ? 1.83 : 1.92 )
    Who knows, they are not exactly transparent with this. Or maybe the advertised numbers are all wrong.

some say NW5 protects against AP mines, that would be a win/win scenario.
  6. ColdCheezePizza

Yeah your right 75m is spitting distance for a sniper rifle, only level 5 nano should save you from a bolt action and still should be slightly more than 75m, maybe 85m-100m, anything lower than lvl 5 should be ohk headshot from any distance with bolts considering there is alot of skill involved.

But I disagree with comparing the cost of a gun in certs to in game items that can't be bought with SC. That arguement fails because anyone can buy a 1000cert rifle with cash, also the cert price for weapons are artificially high on purpose in order to motivate people to skip the grind and buy them instead. Armor effectiveness should be balanced around effort and skill, while clever mine placement is crucial especially for TR, many times for VS/NC they will clip underneath the floor and are virtually invisible even when your purposely looking for them. That reason and the low skill ceiling for mines should justify the lower level of flak armor needed to survive running thru one IMO.
  7. Hoki

Bolt action headshots are doing 1001 to 1024 min damage, I haven't done the testing to find a more accurate number but there are ways to do it.
    Its applied to the weapon not the inf, cause every other gun that doesn't OHK has a 2x multiplier.
  8. ColdCheezePizza

I have NW5 on all my characters and the only time I survive mines is if my overshield is on or if i sprint past a TR claymore and it hits me outside the 90 degree killzone.
  9. Hobo Jack

Two things the NC longshot does not suffer from this unless they have nanoweave 5 or you are just way too far out to get hewdshots reliably anyway. Also you are under the impression that everyone uses nanoweave exclusively. I only use nanoweave on 1 of my classes. If somone takes nanoweave they give up a lot of offensive opportunity to survive one extra bullet. If you are at wxtreme range just go for bodyshots or switch to nc and use the longshot
  10. Vaphell

lower multiplier might be applied to the weapon, but what about this:
    1. NW1 > INF NW5 (1050 vs 1025)
    2. INF survives with 1025
    3. according to m44v NW1 doesn't work (1050)
    that would mean that inf's 1025 is somehow better than 1050 of others (thus exception).
  11. Dr. Euthanasia

Hey, *******. Nanoweave 5 on an Infiltrator lets me survive proximity mines too, and I'm working with a 100 shield disparity there.
    • Up x 1
  12. Hoki

Oh yeah I meant to test this. I'll do it tonight. I'm pretty sure NW1 will save you.
  13. ColdCheezePizza

Maybe claymores if you sprint thru the cone of death, but I always seem to die to everything else with NW5, except for the rare times I'm running around a corner and the wall or a player right behind saves me from taking the full brunt of the explosion.
  14. Tyzh

Headshot multiplier is 2x. Infil's cannot survive bolt action headshots at any range with any level of nanoweave. Nanoweave doesn't save you from the full blast of a proximity mine, however AP mines don't simply deal full damage to anyone in range. They deal less damage on the outside of their blast radius, and nanoweave can help you survive that. You can survive those blasts without nanoweave, as well.
  15. Vaphell

then explain this (at 6:00)
  16. Wayfar

Not sure how the numbers might have changed but this is a good video discussing range drop off.

17. Tyzh

Hmmm, well. I can't argue with that. I was so weird-ed out by the talk in the thread I went and tested things myself. Nanoweave 2 and 3 were surviving when they shouldn't. Nanoweave 1, didn't. It seems there is indeed an exception coded somewhere for infiltrators and nanoweave 5.

I'll have to max out nanoweave for my infil and test it against other weapons. It may be that nanoweave is being coded to give more to infiltrators than the other classes, enough at 5 to compensate for the lower shields...

Edit: Further testing is indicating that there is indeed a lower head-shot multiplier for bolt actions. 1 headshot won't kill what two body shots will.
  18. Bullethoses+Spandex

I created a thread suggesting we should add a sharpshooter ammo for us infiltrators making the bolt actions a reliable weapon that prevents revives and will ohk nanoweave 5 users at any range.
  19. seamus2008

What is this blasphemy?!?! That explains the times when I thought I headshotted some guy, only to have him survive. I had thought I misjudged the drop and it hit their neck... SMH...
  20. Vaphell

interesting turn of events:
    in the gameplay bugs forum i posted the hypothesis that NW is applied to the total pool (that is NW5 = 1250 not 1125) which makes the BASR related math straightforward and pretty with HS multiplier of 2
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...her-than-50-meters.118608/page-5#post-1681766

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.