[Suggestion] Modules in construction

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VakarisJ, Jun 8, 2023.

1. VakarisJ

I quite like the Fortification update. It really messed up my old methods, but it also gave us the Command Center, which is very fun to fight in.

The only real gripe with this new system is how modules work. They are, in a word, tedious.

In the past, a single repair module covered most of the base. Now you have to grab one and bring it to every single building, wall, turret and pad.
    An easy fix for this would be to either make the repair module's effects inherent to each building, or have each building be built with a repair module by default.

The worst offenders out of all the modules are the 60-second ones. Sitting at the slot with module in hand is not fun at all. Everyone's fighting around you, having fun, while you sit there looking at a progress bar tick down.
    My suggestion to fix this would be to make the remove the 60-second nonsense and have the modules consume their value in Cortium every 60 seconds, without being deleted after the first cycle. To prevent griefing and waste, allow the Silo owner to toggle them on/off by interacting with them. This will remove the tedium without affecting anything of importance.
    • Up x 3
  2. Botji

To add to this I would really like if standard modules put in the Silo affected all buildings in the build area, so a normal repair module in the silo = all buildings now have the repair effect etc.

The more powerful timed modules or building specific like sky shield should be the only modules I have to put in those specific buildings.
  3. OSruinedPS1

I'm not 60 second module anything.
  4. ToxicToast

I like the idea to toggle the module on and off. There would have to be some sort of limitation to the amount of times you can do this so you can't just spam it on and off 30x in a minute. I would also be for drastically increasing the cost for the 60 second modules to make it more balanced and strategic in terms of when to activate it.
  5. OSruinedPS1

Toggling modules on and off.

Install modules in every object.

Modules only lasting 60 seconds.

Imagine proposing every player built structure in Starcraft be installed with multiple Planetside'ish modules, and heck you don't even have to run back and forth to your command center to do it one at a time, you can do it with your magical god-hand in the sky. No Starcraft player would enjoy those extra clicks, even the super clicky ones.

Who thought this up anyways?
    • Up x 1
  6. VakarisJ

Eh... You should probably reconsider your comparison. In Startcraft 2, Zerg are exactly what you're describing with their queens and larva injections. You need to select your queens and click on every single hatchery you have every 45 seconds. Protoss are also the same with their warp gates. On the Terran side there are MULEs, though their mechanic is a bit more forgiving.

My point is – timed modules are annoying, but don't compare a casual shooter with base building elements to a competitive try-hard simulator. If you want to compare this game to anything, try the Battlefield franchise. Or an other game where one player of the entire team is playing an RTS-lite, while everyone else plays an FPS. Such as Natural Selection, Nuclear Dawn or any of the other no-name clones.
  7. OSruinedPS1

Natural Selection was a step in the right direction. Battlefield franchise was a step in the wrong direction.
  8. Anthrage

It is true that this sometimes happens, here is an example. However, I did not find it tedious. In that moment, I was anything but bored. module play is not just about slotting the module, it includes having properly planned the layout of your base so that the distance from critical module slots and the 3 or 4 dispensers is minimized and the gameplay of running to one, pulling a module, and getting it back while under fire - which is sometimes the case...I find too often there is a mistaking what sometimes happen for what always happens, and this is definitely the case with the various elements of base defense.
  9. VakarisJ

In my experience, it's always a Silo with a Rebirthing or a Command Center right next to it. Tens of friendlies spawn and run to the edge of the shield to have some fun, while I'm running the same 5 meters back and forth in perfect safety for multiple hours.

That's especially the case when the base is built in a place, not easily accessible to enemy tanks – on a mountain platau, on a cliff edge or one of the terrain choke points in Oshur.

This makes the base as hard to kill as the Cortium supply it has, which even without refills can easily last an hour.