[Guide] Modified Keybinding

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AlcyoneSerene, May 12, 2019.

1. AlcyoneSerene

For newer players starting Planetside2, or those still searching for keybinds that suit all this game has to offer along with a seamless transition between vehicles and first person combat, I'd like to share what I've crafted over time.

The starting idea was to make flight controls a little more intuitive from default, but also improving on the infantry controls - quick access to medkits - which naturally meant shifting a number of keys around. It will take some adjustment period but I've found it to be well worth the effort in the long run.

Benefits:
    - max pitch and max roll control layout as an inverted up-down-left-right on the Q-E-W-S keys, and yaw on the A-D keys.
    - Improved vehicle controls (Magrider)
    - Improved infantry (quick medkit access)

What this means:
    - the aircraft can be controlled fully with one hand more intuitively, freeing the mouse momentarily to look around from cockpit view, or in the case of the Liberator's Spur to aim while moving the craft at the same time.

The game supports analog joystick input. If you have any simple pedals, one pedal alone can act as the analog throttle for more precise aircraft throttle control.
    How this works: keybind the pedal to Throttle (Analog). You no longer need to press the suggested key (X) to instantly cut throttle which is necessary for the reverse maneuver (turning 180 degrees as fast as possible). Just lift off the pedal. I don't believe it adds any delay but be sure to test this for yourself.

Mouse Keys:
    It helps to have a mouse with 4 extra programmable keys, typically a back, forward, dpi switch, and middle button press. Each key needs to be bound using the mouse's software to emulate a single keyboard press. This is perfectly legal. Scroll wheel possibly would be an option if lacking the keys, splitting them as an up scroll and a down scroll, but I avoid this as scroll wheels can activate by accident or activate more than once. For this guide, the scroll wheel remains bound to controlling mini-map zoom since situational awareness is essential.

Mouse Key Setup:
    - DPI switcher would function as the "Change Camera: \" assuming that button is easily accessible. It helps moving from 1st person to 3rd person view quickly to help situational awareness and aim on firing, especially in the absence of a crosshair overlay as with 3rd party apps (Recursion).
    - Middle Mouse Button (Scroll-wheel press): Eject. Prevents accidental bails, and facilitates quick bailing when necessary.
    - Forward side button: "Look Left: Left, Mouse Button 5" & "Look Right: Right, Mouse Button 4" this will move the turret, or in the case of the VS Magrider main battle tank to yaw at max speed left or right. Mouse can stay centered and ready for fine adjustments when aiming the main gun.
    - Back side button: Cockpit Mouse Freelook: Mouse Button 4, hold-press it while moving the mouse to look around inside aircraft cockpit, also used to toggle the Liberator Spur aim.

I hope this helps in some way as it has for me. Keep up the good fights, planetmans!
    Reply post covers the keybinds:
  2. AlcyoneSerene

SETTINGS: GENERAL
    Zoom Toggle: ON
    Sprint Toggle: ON
    Invert Tank Reverse Steering: ON
    Use Raw Mouse Input: ON
    all others: OFF

SETTINGS: GENERAL Continued*
    *based on zero acceleration 500 dpi 1K poll rate 6/11 windows mouse pointer speed with Disabled 'enhance pointer precision'-adjust the values to fit your setups
    Mouse Sensitivity: 0.186
    Vehicle Mouse Sensitivity: 0.186
    Vehicle Gunner Mouse Sensitivity: 0.186
    Flight Vehicle Sensitivity: 0.700
    Scoped Mouse Sensitivity: 0.294
    Aimed Mouse Sensitivity: 0.294
    Enable Joystick: ON
    Joystick Sensitivity: 1.484
    Joystick Deadzone: 0.054

SETTINGS: KEYBINDING: GENERAL
    Open Chat: Return
    Open Command: /
    Reply: Backspace
    Show FPS: Left Alt + F, Right Alt + F
    Show Score Screen: J
    Screenshot: Print Screen
    Toggle Mouse Control: Right Alt
    Accept Request: Y
    Deny Request: N
    Show Requests: K
    Auto join Squad: Insert
    Open Map: M
    Voice Volume Up: Numpad +
    Voice Volume Down: Numpad -
    Mute Voice Speaker: Numpad Enter
    Proximity Voice Chat: Left Alt
    Squad Voice Chat: Numpad 2
    Squad Leader Voice Chat: Numpad 7
    Platoon Voice Chat: Numpad 1
    Outfit Voice Chat: Numpad 9
    User Channel Voice Chat: Numpad 6
    Fireteam Voice Chat: [blank]
    Voice Macro: Tab
    Toggle UI: Control + F10
    Start Image Capture: Control + F12
    Spot Enemy: Caps Lock
    Toggle Video Capture: Page Up
    Open Squad/Platoon Page: P
    Open Friends Page: L
    Open Outfit Page: O
    Open Membership: Control + L
    Vehicle Management: Page Down
    Toggle Indicators: Control + I
    Expand Minimap: H
    Leave Queue: End
    Toggle Redeploy Timer: U
    Increment Minimap Zoom: Mous Scroll Up
    Decrement Minimap Zoom: Mouse Scroll Down
    Suqad Promote Request: [blank]

SETTINGS: KEYBINDING: Infantry
    Move Forward: W, Up
    Move Backward: S, Down
    Strafe Left: A, Left
    Strafe Right: D, Right
    Turn Left: [blank]
    Turn Right: [blank]
    Look Up: [blank]
    Look Down: [blank]
    Jump: Spacebar
    Crouch: Left Control, Mouse Button 4
    Crouch Toggle: C
    Sprint/Hold Breath: Left Shift, Right Shift
    Interact: E
    Use Ability: F
    Use Grenade: G
    Reload: R
    Meelee Attack: Mouse Button 5
    Gear Slot 1-10: 1-0
    Equip Meelee: -
    Fire: Left Mouse
    Aim: Right Mouse
    Tertiary Fire: Middle Mouse
    Toggle Attachment: X
    Toggle Weapon Visibility: Control + F11
    Switch Fire Group: B
    Switch Fire: [blank]
    Switch Weapons: [blank]
    Tool Slot: [blank]
    Utility Slot: Z
    Next Weapon: [blank]
    Previous Weapon: [blank]
    Autorun: \

SETTINGS: KEYBINDING: Vehicle
    Accelerate: W
    Decelerate: S
    Turn Left: A
    Turn Right: D
    Handbrake: Spacebar
    Look Left: Left, Mouse Button 5
    Look Right: Right, Mouse Button 4
    Look Up: Up
    Look Down: Down
    Cruise Control: X
    Change Camera: \
    Weapon Optic: Right Mouse
    Exit Vehicle: Middle Mouse
    Deploy Vehicle: B
    Toggle Headlights: G
    Weapon Slot 1: 1
    Weapon Slot 2: 2
    Afterburner: Left Shift, Right Shift
    Activate Utility: F
    Horn: J
    Change to Seat 1-12: F1-F12

SETTINGS: KEYBINDING: Aircraft
    Throttle Up: B
    Throttle Down: V
    Yaw Left: A
    Yaw Right: D
    Ascend: Spacebar, Mouse Button 5
    Descend: Left Control
    Roll Left: Left, Q
    Roll Right, Right, E
    Pitch Up: W
    Pitch Down: S
    Throttle (Analog): X
    Cruise Control: =
    Cockpit Mouse Freelook: Mouse Button 4
    Cockpit Look Left: [blank]
    Cockpit Look Right: [blank]
    Cockpit Look Up: [blank]
    Cockpit Look Down: [blank]
    Change Camera: \
    Weapon Optic: Right Mouse
    Exit Vehicle: ., Middle Mouse
    Deploy Vehicle: T
    Toggle Headlights: G
    Weapon Slot 1: 1
    Weapon Slot 2: 2
    Afterburner: Left Shift, Right Shift
    Activate Utility: F
    Horn: [blank]
    Change to Seat 1-12: F1-F12
  3. TR5L4Y3R

do you have a cofiguartion for flying that uses a standart mouse with wheel?
    also uising german "qwertz" keyboard

also which aircraft uses deploy in what way? galaxy?
  4. Demigan

Another reason the current controls suck: you need to rebind them. The basic control layout should be capable enough that rebinding it is just a preference, not a must to do for example the twisted and game-nookying reverse maneuver. Its not that the maneuver shouldnt be in the game, its the absurd amount of advantage it brings vs any other maneuver you could pull off that forces you into a one-trick-pony tunnel that isnt really enjoyable unless you are masogistic or at the top of the food chain.
  5. AlcyoneSerene

All this is keyboard plus mouse - plus optional foot pedals for controlling aircraft thrust: only one pedal is needed, and on first getting in any aircraft, you need to press it fully then release it fully to retrain the game the axis limits, a little annoying but not too bad to do. The keyboard throttle controls work as alternatives, but after using them, have to repeat the pedal full and off again.

I don't know about deploying aircraft as that option never worked for me, and my aircraft never want to land, unsure why this is but not a big deal again as holding downward thrust is okay.

Currently I believe the only change I made is binding weapon switch on "forward" of side mouse buttons to quick switch to sidearms, mouse "back" side button as an alternative crouching to "C" or LCtrl. Any other mouse buttons your mouse may have are useful for voice channels.

"J" Show Score also overlaps with vehicle horns since they gave us a free horn for all vehicles.
  6. Wezz

I might be reeeealy late replying to this as I found it in a google search, I rebinded show score to ` nothing in this settings list uses it.
  7. AlcyoneSerene

All these settings are still up to date and valid, and I am glad if anyone else finds them useful in some way as I have.

The ' key I use in logitech gaming software to port to the mouse fast-scroll down button and is set to Discord/Teamspeak push-to-talk, while the fast-scroll up button to Num 2 (proximity voice chat). This allows me to still run around and speak and quickly switch to fighting if necessary then continue the conversation after. My GMX518 only has 4 extra buttons, and as listed, 2 I use for voice, middle scroll wheel is for bailing vehicles (important to stay alive), and the last I use for auto-run.