MLG: Not interested. Not even as a spectator.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Earthman, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Spartan 117

With the overwhelming resistance for MLG related content I wonder how outfits like NUC etc will fair? As someone on reddit posted:

Prizes / compensation will be paltry. Just about everyone dreams of playing video games for a living. It would be the best career imaginable for many of us. If you have that kind of top-notch prowess and the desire to make it a career, are you going to choose a game where you can’t really shine and where your prize money is going to be divided 48 ways? Think hard about that, the aspiring pro-gamer needs followers, sponsors, and attention. How is he/she going to get that as a just one in a team of 48? Are the sponsors going to put up 48 times the usual prize money so that all the team members get compensation on the level of the stars of other pro games? Of course they won’t, not even close given that PS2 isn’t in the top tier of games (it’s not usually even on the first page of Twitch or the general pro gamer sites). You will not make any real money as a pro gamer with this game. Thinking PS2 could launch your gaming career is a pipe dream and you shouldn’t be wasting your prime gaming years in the “minor leagues”.

Realistically, hes right. The money just isn't there. Even if a outfit won a MLG championship the reward on a individual basis would be paltry & not worth ones time. The only conceivable way it would be worthwhile is if they had a 5vs5 or 10vs10 type event & do you really think the other 38-43 members of the outfit who are not in attendance are going to be ok being benched & not being in the spotlight & eligible for money? Also a 5vs5 or 10vs10 would be horrible considering Planetside's niche in the market is "massive scale warfare."
  2. TheBloodEagle

Hey Earthman, I agree with your OP. I have zero interest in watching these events overall, maybe just the final best vs best match but that's about it. I feel like MLG will just end up making PS2 very sterile and stale since the ultra-competitive folks tend to want everything extremely "balanced", i.e. dull & same. I'd rather not spend money on PS2 if the weapons, gameplay etc just turn into a simplified wannabe Counter-Strike. I want to be part of something more unique with PS2. Anyway, that's my opinion, not that anyone else isn't making valid points.
    • Up x 3
  3. Crackulous

I honestly don't feel that it's making much of an impact. Balancing is and was always an issue, Major League Gaming, if it does play a role as a catalyst, wouldn't add anything new to the mix. Faction-specific gear has been in the heat of debate since the dawn of time. With differences comes whining.
  4. Yuukikun

Experience -> knowledge -> more relevent opinion. Someone who cannot reach the full potention doesn't have a full experience / understanding on the weapon/game mechanic. You're talking like people who go university to specialize in a subject don't have a better opinion on the subject they studied for years than the random farmer. Or again, you're saying your opinion is worth the same in your p-e class swiming around in the pool than the olympic athletes?

Skilled people are not self proclaimed. They are called like this by the majority of players. A bit like a demography if you want. I don't see how they're obnoxious just because they're really skilled, that's plain judgement without any proof you're saying here. It's not because there are some obnoxious high skilled players that you have the right to put them all in the same boat.

In 48 vs 48 fights in those events i doubt they are all skilled. But even if not elite, they're still better than average by quite alot.

If you want your opinion to be worth the same as theirs, then you should put thousands of hours until you reach their sikll level, no one said you can't do that. Maybe you have a jealousy problem going on here. I'm not high skill but i'm ready to follow the high skill players in their opinions.
  5. pnkdth

As usual it is the competitive outfit players that are respectable while the MLG-tryhards mouths off with a "come at me, brah"-attitude. In the video NUC said more than once that the game needs both outfit vs outfit based play and world PVP in order to sustain the game. Unfortunately the other commentator seemed to have his toungue stuck far upp NUC's behind and delivered some very unprofessional comments about the VS players.

Infact, unprofessional is the word I'd describe MLG in context of PS2 in general. Poor setup, poor communication, and poor organisation. Why anyone would, as it stands today, want to be a part of this mess is beyond me. Get your act together, MLG, this is disgraceful.
  6. DeusExForever

When the full "potention" is found in a video game, let us know.

Olympic athletes train for years to reach their potential and at world class facilities with coaching staff who trained the best. The Dr. Pepper and Cheetos kid is not in that league at all.

So lets get back to reality, PS2 is a F2P videogame. It'll attract those willing to not pay, which is like trying to attract Olympic athletes without any medals or endorsements...fat chance.
  7. Wecomeinpeace

The main problem with introducing "e-sports" to this game is that, down at its core, the Planetside "idea" is basically contradicting competitive play.
    To draw a comparison, this game is like playing football (the eu one) in the park, with crudely drawn lines to mark the pitch and a goal that consists of beer cans. Rules are more or less not enforced, sometimes you can play behind the goal, sometimes not, sometimes the goalie is allowed to come out of the goal, sometimes not. It's being played for fun and to have a good time, nobody cares much about the resulting score.
    Now to stay in the analogy, what they are trying to do here is to bring in premier league teams and players and showcase this as a sport. Tonight in the park around your corner! Manchester United vs. Garys six drunken friends! Bring some beer cans, we need a proper goal!
    That just doesn't work without either turning the fun parkplay into just another premier league, or alienating the pro players by not being focused on comparable, competitive play which they came for. The park or the theatre of dreams, you cannot have both simultaneously without one of the parts significantly lacking substance.

The only one who could like that would be Wayne Rooney. And he might even bring the beer too. But one Wayne Rooney doesn't make Planetside 2 an E-Sports game (yeah, well...you know what i mean).
    • Up x 2
  8. Yuukikun

Bahahaha!

It's not impossible to reach the full potential of weapons or game mechanics.

There have been players who have been playing since the start and even planetside 1.

Not all olympic athletes have coaches lol. Mostly their ''coach'' are helping with diet and work out plans.

''The Dr. Pepper and Cheetos kid is not in that league at all''
    that's a well known prejudice you have there, but you have to remember that the best way to increase your video game skill is practice and also physical fitness. EX: korean players have wrist and finger workouts to be able to play better in starcraft and other RTS games. Sports also help with reaction time and focus. Sorry if you're a DR.Pepper and Cheetos fatty.

PS2 is a F2P videogame? So is league of legends, and they have competitive teams AND also most of them have coaches.

F2P games make so much more money than P2P games in the long run. There are tons of people willing to pay. If you're one of those greedy basturds who doesn't help financing a game you find fun, its your problem, but don't think everyone is greedy like you.

''So lets get back to reality, PS2 is a F2P videogame. It'll attract those willing to not pay, which is like trying to attract Olympic athletes without any medals or endorsements...fat chance.''
    wtf? you can't understand that medals and endorsements is a reward? you compare this to paying to play the game? You don't pay to swim in a pool, you don't pay to kick a ball. You win medals / trophies by wining esports competition, you get sponsors by being an elite video game player.

''trying to attract Olympic athletes without any medals or endorsements...fat chance''
    you can ask all the olympic athletes and the majority are participating to become the best of the world, the experience of competing against the bests, and showing the world how hard they worked on their passion. Olympic athletes love their sport they're not trying to win money lmfao, in many countries olympic athletes need a full time job aside from working out and practicing so they can eat everyday.

Yes this game is new so its impossible that people trained more than the time the game has existed, but you see people who've been training for 10+ years in starcraft to reach the tops of the world. You've seen Halo players train for years.
  9. Izriul

The difference is, when pro-gamers get involved and start ******** about the ZOE, Striker, Vulcan, Fractures etc etc, the developers will most likely, start to listen.

Which, in theory is good, but in reality, not at all. Pro gamers are just as, if not more, biased than regular players. Take a look at Idra for example, boy does his ***** cry and whine about terran....wait, no, he ******* about terran and protoss. He cries how he plays the most underpowered race and when he gets beaten, it's because the other guy cheated, cheesed, was lucky or whatever excuse fits the ball at the time, but when he wins, he throws out a ton of abuse at how he's the best gamer, how he is 100x better because zerg is apparently weak or whatever. Ironically, at a lot of the time he was whining about this, zerg were statistically better, just not so new player friendly (I strongly disagree with that too)

He's not the only one like this, in fact there's many. The sad thing is, this is pretty much THE most balanced E-sport game there is, and IMO it's the definition of E-sports. Yet, Blizzard listen to the pro-gamers. I'd say SoE will do the same.
  10. bobek388

It would be well funny if military in real world would decide to withdraw lock-on weapons as they don't require too much skill to use. xD
    • Up x 2
  11. MorganM

Neat... plenty of us do like it as players and spectators.
  12. Chipay

And what if they don't? What if they just keep looking at stats and only balance because of stats?
    Seriously, why would they listen to people who have no idea about actual date? Because they advertise PS2 for free? ***** please, there will be enough people wanting to fight on the big screen, there's no room for whiny offensive people in a game.

That being said, anyone who's really MLG shouldn't be whining about nerfs, they have their personal skill and teamwork.
  13. GSZenith

yeah i notice, was watching a MLG360420yoloswagbalbablabalbalbal livestream a few weeks ago, I'm sure all the other 14 ppl that was watching was enjoying and laughing as much as i did.

inb4 but youtube has over ...brb have to check
    EZ Company vs NUC - War Report Episode 20 1,986 views 58 likes 4 dislikes

that one is 1 month old, checking twitch right now.

12 streams with viwers
    1 being vonic @ 66 (lol)
    rest 10 and below, most being just friends to the stream/same outfit.

but hey at least MLG ps2 have almost 100 views! pro any day now;)
  14. IamDH

I think Mustarde said it best.

MLG does not have an impact on SOE wanting to nerf buff an item. What you are dealing with are people who want you to live in their realm. These people have intoxicated many games but i fail to see the reason why you cant just ignore them

If someone feels that you are a noob, just move on
  15. Pruto

Some are, but most who are truly good recognize when something is OP, even on their own side.
  16. Earthman

If the MLG fans chant "it makes money that's all that matters!!!!!1" enough, they hope it will deflect attention away from the fact that it is currently a money sink, time sink, and a drain of attention.
  17. Earthman

I can't explain why you haven't seen the pile of steaming threads demanding lock-on weapons, UBGLs, and the like to be removed altogether. Maybe you took a few weeks off from the forum (which is probably good for blood pressure).
    • Up x 1
  18. Earthman

These guys will chant nonstop that "NOTHING WILL CHANGE IN THE REST OF THE GAME SILENCE PEASANTS" no matter how contrary to gaming history that is with so many other titles that were lured by the siren song of "omg MLG makes money!!1".
  19. Earthman

You're comparing college education in scholarly subjects to people doing teabag emotes after picking up motor-neural reflexes to shoot people with pretend guns.

Get a grip.
  20. Earthman

There's that "No True Scotsman" defense.