MKV Suppressed Review

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by DrankTHEKoolaid, Feb 18, 2014.

1. DrankTHEKoolaid

Just my thoughts on this new SMG. Thanks!

• Up x 2
  2. CuteBeaver

Awesome Review i had similar thoughts about the MKV aswell. Keep up the good work, I don't think the average player is going to enjoy this SMG as much as some of the older favorites in our toolkit. Oh well I bet it will be nice for LA's.

THE MKV Suppressed:

This gun appears to have a slight identity crisis. Its built around stealth play, when radar is everywhere and supressors don't always help you. This could become more valuable with implants possibly granting radar immunity. The MKV is also geared for a player who likes to hipfire, and wants a recoil pattern like the SIRIUS (without a suppressor on it) and also wants a smaller clip size in favor of being more accurate at range. To be honest MKV is built for a specific kind of play-style which does not ADS, or CANNOT aim down sights because they are flying or falling. (like a Light Assault) someone who is trying to reward themselves for efficient hipfire kills rather then tossing bullets down range. A highly mobile very accurate hipfire addict essentially.

If anyone reading want to see what I mean, go into the VR and slap a suppressor on an advanced laser Sirius, and then do the same thing and advanced laser MKV. (It feels like nothing is there :p lol.)

Recoil Pattern on MKV is Counter Productive To ADS

The PDW keeps the wielder out of shotgun range, and rewards a cautious hit and run ADS play style. It allows better squad support by extending your reach to assist others more effectively. The PDW also allows you to attack from medium range, providing you more kill opportunities. As a trade off you pay for mistakes with the PDW. If someone gets too close, they will nearly always out gun you. This is why I tend to switch to my COMMY to finish them off CQC. Knifing is inconsistent and usually fails with a PDW unless your disciplined enough to fire for longer periods and not just panic spray and reflex knife.

The MKV's recoil pattern is very different then the PDW. (PDW recoils up and to the left.) The MKV handles like a typical 2nd Gen SMG. (Recoils UP, and vibrates left and right slightly like a SIRIUS w/o a suppressor) While the MKV might have a slight range extension and higher bullet velocity i doubt these features are going to matter for most players if the recoil pattern doesn't lend itself to being as accurate with ADS. However on the positive side the recoil pattern is AWESOME for hipfire. The trouble is most empires have higher damage non suppressed SMG versions already. Granted they do not come with an optimized suppressor.

From my own personal tests the MKV felt like it picked up a little bit of the slack where the PDW's weaknesses were. However my testing results were inconsistent. At times it felt like the MKV pumped out an extra bullet which would be enough to make panic firing + knifing possible. Not being able to spray and knife is something the PDW is famous for failing at. However the ROF increase on the MKV was so bloody minor it was hard to test. Impossible for me to tell if the successful knife tests were a result of the ROF or likely subject to human error.

In any case, my inconsistent tests showed the MKV handled worse at ranged ADS due to its recoil pattern then a PDW even with a suppressor. I'm not sold on this weapon either and until I get more time to test this weapon out in VR. If I had to pick a loadout to try using with this weapon it would be entirely geared towards hipfire, using the advanced laser to make the most out of the recoil pattern.
  3. Wayfar

Nice vid.

But glad you finally got around to comparing it to the other SMG's with suppressors. That is the key and the stats that revolve around that is what should be focused on.

>>>Also I think it is better to prop it up against the 1st tier SMG's vs the other NS, like the eridani.
  4. Iridar51

Nice review. Can I use it in my LA guide, if you don't mind?
  5. Catch23

a few thougths...

- the MKV is a carbine. in this vid you really use it like a Blitz. It won't be as good as a 'real' SMG with this playstyle. IMO a laser on it is really wasted. If Extended Mags weren't kind of necessary for buzy fights, I would definately go with the Forward Grip. It' a HS machine at 30m which seeems to be the guns ideal range.
    It's defintely not a primarily-hipfire-weapon but can be used pretty ok from the hip - unlike the Auto Scout. it's a bit better at his than the PDW as well due to higher ROF but not as good at he SMGs. If a ALS Blitz and a Ext. Mags MKV hipfire at eachother at 20-25m, the Blitz will win but ADSing the MKV to the head should be superior against both

- all numbers have to be compared with all SMGs/ carbs suppressed. in terms of maximum damage ranges (including softpoint) this means PDW and and MKV are almost identical and 1st/ 2nd Gens are much worse (even within the classic SMGs outer sweetspot 0-15m)

- if a few percent less DPS and velocity were indeed irrelevent, than the Hailstorm would be the best SMG. It's certainly not. many TR Players find it the worst and use the Armistice instead.

- the MKV's recoil pattern is not bad at all (unlike someone in this thread suggested) it seems to be mirrored to the right from the PDWs, at the very least.
    both guns have significantly less horizontal shake than the 1st and 2nd Gens, especially the Sirius and Armistice.
    If you fire an ALS Sirius at 20m from the hip it's not a great gun. Even ADSing it at this range won't put it on par with the MKV/ PDW either, both due to damage fall-off and horizontal recoil, which cannot be compensated for.
    Sirius is 0.4, PDW is 0.25. MKV seems to be pretty much the same, certainly not worse.

TL;DR: traditional SMGs are very limted in range, even when ADSing, they don't improve much when not hipfiring. the PDW/ MKV do. Use it

-EMP genades: Blast radius is about 12m +, so you want to keep about 20m as more than often you will most likely be runnning forward and whether you hit a target or not there is sometimes a short delay before detontating.
    If you fire from the hip after throwing you actually waste bullets as these hits will damage shields first before the EMP blast kicks in. so you want to make your first hits directly after impact idealy peeking from cover.
    the best use I found is throwing the EMP from 25m and RMB within the thowing animation. Then you will be ready to fire upon EMP impact at the MKVs ideal combined damage/ accuracy range (over all other SMGs and the PDW)

- using the Blitz gives you the best combo in terms of hipfire range and DPS/ DPM of all SMGs. coming from the Armistice you are more likely to split up your SMG infiltrating and may find the MKV more useful than the Blitz user.

- if you don't like the PDW (or suppressors) you wont fall in love with the MKV. but if you like the PDW and want to be more competitive at 0-30m you might find the MKV an upgrade
  6. Catch23

Edit:

I could swear they changed the MKV's recoil within the last week. it has more vertical recoil than the PDW now and possibly more horizontal shake as well, like if they stealth-nerfed the first shot multiplier.

with this it's not better than the PDW anymore, just different

BTW: if you mark the middle of your screen you will see that red dot sights are more broken for the SMGs than for carbines. they pull to the right when you go straight forward, so you aren't affected only when strafing.

*uninstalling*