Miller v Woodman v Cobalt\Ceres on PTR - It's On!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ulysees, Aug 1, 2013.

1. redsevenski

There's no need to apologize - the move to Woodman was just to try and make the best of a bad situation. Apparently you can't have 2 characters of the same faction on the same server unfortunately and you can't expect the Woodman TR to delete their mains, so I think that's where it fell down.

It would be good if we can get this going on the test server as originally planned, but I don't see them investing enough in the server to make it cope with that load for a one-off event.
    • Up x 1
  2. LordMondando

Oh I wasn't aware of that.
  3. Takoita

'We' as in the playerbase. Your point?
  4. Qaz

we actually did. every outfit was limited to a max of two squads. shortly before the server burned, we were at 'just' 350 people or so online, with some more waiting in line. i think the issue was that the PTS server just wasn't a full strength server.
  5. Ganelon

Was just saying that 2 out of the 4 servers were never merged, and they had the largest population to boot.

We've been assured it was sufficient to hold the population we intended to drum up.
    • Up x 1
  6. Zombekas

The test server is only expected to support so many people. There is usually no point in it having more RAM or CPU power than necessary, and I believe the lack of RAM is what crashed it. Also, as expected from a test server it's not the most stable server in the world.

I knew this would happen, I hardly see how it wouldn't happen.

The only thing that boggles my mind is why SOE made an official announcement on it. I guess the community relations team (or whichever team manages game announcements) doesn't have too much contact with developers who would have explained the situation.

SOE is not to blame at all, except for announcing it officially without "buffing" the server. It's a test server, not an event server.

It's not like the Empire Showdown a few months back, where it was initiated by SOE, and all s**t when to hell. Oh yeah, SOE failed big time there.

And hey, at least we provided SOE with a great stress test! :D
  7. Qaz

someone from pro sieben said that we exceeded their expectations? i dont know what they expected, but the PTS should have been specced to be able to handle at least 1k people, if not 1.5 or so.
  8. Takoita

Must've been a continent pop display error then - that thing completely froze on our end with ~50% NC. With a good deal of our people not being able to log in as early as 1 hour before the start of the event It was just our assumption that someone on Miller team went overboard.
  9. Luperza Community Manager

The server was back up within 30 minutes, but yeah...It could not handle the amount of people that showed up. :p Think about every PlanetSide 2 player trying to log-in to one server. Hehe. Not going to happen. :)

I've talked to Ulysees and ItzHaki and we're going to plan another event that will actually supply us with better Hossin battle data. ;)

On the bright side, I got a TON of footage from the Woodman server(where we all transferred to after Hossin crashed). I'll post a link to the edited footage here when I'm done. Hoping to finish it tonight if I can. :) Again, big thank you to ItzHaki and Ulysees. The Woodman battles looked like a lot of fun!
    • Up x 2
  10. Ganelon

We crashed the population counter, I don't think the test server actually could handle the population we intended to get on.

I also doubt ProSieben actually has any insight on the Test server, considering it's located on the east coast of the US.
  11. LordCreepy

As written in my suggestion - I am looking forward for a new date with boosted server performance ( at least for that day).
    Hopefully your techs get that solved somehow, would be great.
    At least we provided you with a nice stress test :cool:
  12. LordMondando

I think the idea of server v. server fights is fundamentally a good one.

Perhaps in the far future, having the test server capable of doing this would be good, as it allows us to test new content to the backdrop of server competitiveness.

But as things stand, its probs not appropriate.
  13. Neodym

[IMG]

Oo ?? you can !
  14. Renko

Vanu just locked Hossin.
    GG everyone, Ceres and Cobalt for the win !
    We can stop hearing "Miller is the best EU server" ! :)
  15. Qaz

yeah, the counter stopped working when we reached around 250, i think. i hope that that pts specs can be bumped up to 'full server status' for whenever the next iteration of this event is. i really want to battle it out on hossin, but the pts needs to be able to handle a lot of people on at least that day for this to succeed.
  16. Itzhaki

Thank you for all for joining the event. Sadly the test server crashed. We tried to switch to Woodman to finish with a smile but I guess fighting as BR1 without certs is not fun.

We are in contact with the Devs regarding a new event. We'll keep you guys posted.

Big thanks to Woodman's Ganelon, Miller's Ulysees and MrKoronas, Cobalt's JackJack233 and Ultimatox

Signed, [IP] Iron-Pulse itzhaki
  17. Nubs

I have 2 NC on Miller - my main and a character I created to take place holder as leader of the outfit I ran before we all joined Wasp. So this stuff about Woodman TR not being able to create new BR1 characters smells decidedly fishy to me.

In fact.. just tested it. I made a BR1 on woodman for the event:

https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428105192791465233

And I just made a 2nd character.. called "2ndwoodmancharacter" and that was all fine - not showing on players yet as only just made him, but will do soon enough.
  18. Ganelon

Only a single guy claimed you couldn't do it. But I think the real issue is that we decided it to be moved to Woodman during EU primetime. You ran in a lot of unaware people, unfortunately.
  19. redsevenski

Fair enough - I was misinformed and clearly wrong. I couldn't test it myself as I don't have a spare character slot.

As I said, it was a good attempt to make the best of a bad situation but doing it on the test server as initially intended is the ideal. Hope we can set that up to run the event in the fun and fair setting everyone wanted.
  20. Bvenged

The switch to Woodman was brief and fun, even if we were no match for the TR. Having no AMS, no beacons, crappy medic tools, no abilities or suit slots for any class, and no attachments on any guns (even SC-bought weapons) - it was a slaughtering for us Miller-folk.

Nevertheless, I managed to capture SOME form of gameplay from both Hossin and Woodman, and what we did manage to do on Hossin was still fun in itself.

Bring on round 1.2!
    • Up x 1