Miller unplayable during alerts

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by tuxtard, Sep 13, 2013.

1. IronWarrior

All my posts are well thought out and constructive, thank you very much. Many users from Miller browse the forum, to say otherwise would be wrong.

You seem to have added me to your signature, I feel honoured but also find it creepy.
  2. Villanuk

4 things I want to point out.

1. Its not always the case. VS have actually over populated us at times this week. It is very dependant on the time of the alert.

2. TR do not want one sided battles as much as any other fraction wants to lose on one. To win an alert, as we did 6am GMT this week in 15 minutes is not fun. We lost to NC and VS in the evening alert this week and that was great fun, although we lost I had great battles, which im sure for once we can all agree on, we all want great battles?

3. We get naff all certs by winning if we have a population advantage, but more certs for loosing in great battles.

4. There maybe a small 4th fraction, but there is no direct evidence to prove this but im sure it happens. Of course a timer solution is what we ask for, but its not hard to open other accounts which would get around this.

5. When an alert comes and this is my main point I have main in the last few weeks, the other fractions don't move off where they are playing and move to where the Alert is. How can you moan when your fraction dose not play alerts. Don't say its because they cant win because of fraction imbalance and don't move, that's just gutless. Get your players over, you have more chance with more players and here's the second issue I mentioned this week. Stop Ghost capping. How many times I see an even balanced population server and in one case the NC were fighting over the crown when it had nothing to do with the alert. If your stupid then stop the moaning.

So OP. Saying your packing you bags to another server, that will leave your fraction with less players. Man UP, polish your gun and get out there and battle for your bases.
  3. bPostal

No, Not really. As a TR player I'm having a **** time of it. My outfit is having a **** time of it. In fact, I'd venture a guess that the only people who are actually enjoying the overpop are those who are switching factions during the alerts. The quality and quantity of the fights has been drastically reduced.
    • Up x 1
  4. Phyr

Why hasn't anyone called out the OP for his inaccurate use of "unplayable"? Do I have to do everything myself?
  5. Being@RT

Seeing 27/44/29 world population at 20:44 (Finland) on a Friday evening is just.. yeah. Login for my certs, play something else.

edit: if non-prime time is anything to go by, the 4th factioners aren't a huge part of that.. I'd guesstimate at most 4 %-units (ie. 29/40/31 without them switching, which is still really terrible), as I saw less than that much change on a morning alert.
    • Up x 1
  6. LordMondando

World population 18:52 Alert end 44% TR

World pop 18:53 39% TR.

PFftt hahahahahaha
    • Up x 2
  7. bPostal

You think the issue is VS and NC not logging in? (4-5% isn't that much overall) I hope not, that'll be a lot harder to fix.
  8. IronWarrior

Nice lies there m8. There is decent fights all day on Indar and Esamir and Amerish has some really nice battles around the evening and during alerts.
  9. Being@RT

Well, I logged in, and then logged out. I can't be the only one.

And you must have read many posts by now about those who stay logged but don't participate in alerts, rather doing something else.
    In this very thread are examples of NC/VS who'd rather fight each other than TR because of the population imbalance.

And yes, it's harder to fix, but the effect is halved compared to faction switchers as well. I'm pretty sure we've tried to make the devs and players aware of the problems of population imbalance since the very beginning, when it wasn't that bad. It's one of those problems that is _much_ easier to prevent than to fix, as the problem grows exponentially if left alone.

edit: going from 39% to 44% _is_ a lot. It's a huge difference. Consider this:30.5% vs 39% has the underdogs fight a population 28% more numerous (9 opponents for each 7 friendlies), but the opponents getting 5 %-units more population means the new comparison is 28% vs 44%, fighting against an enemy with 57% more people (11 opponents for 7 friendlies).. The disadvantage became twice as bad for "just 5%-units", and it was significant to start with.

And that's assuming half of NC fight VS and half of VS fight NC.. but as mentioned, many like to go for the easier fights, or more balanced ... however you wish to say it.
    • Up x 2
  10. tuxtard

Well in last few days I am the first to log off during alerts. There is simply no point. When the alert starts even the small bases get overrun from both ground and air. At some point I counted 18 tanks around a small base, and these were only ones that was visible on the minimap. I switched to another point to try to put up a fight, but there I didn't even bothered to count. Few times I tried to find some guys to fight these zergs, but what can we do with VS population 13-16% against TR's 65%? It feels like my time is wasted during alerts, and I am not the only one who feels that way. I've noticed that many other non TR players go in the opposite direction from where the alert is, hoping that TR will win it fast and that we can continue to play in a normal (read less overpopulated) conditions.
  11. bPostal

No lies. If I lied to you it would be about something like my ***** size (it's huge). I haven't had a decent fight in almost a week. I've got members of my outfit (so far only the BR 100s) who are switching (temporarily) to the other factions just to have fun. Maybe you enjoy fighting in regions with 70-80% faction pop but I prefer something closer to 50/50.
    As for today? No idea, I haven't been able to log in. It could be possible that in the last 24 hours or so the entire problem has magically solved itself. If that is the case then I thank whatever wizard (maybe it's Gandolf?) who helped us out.
    • Up x 3
  12. Redzy

You get it. It may have been fun the first week or heck, the first month or couple of months even, but constantly winning without great battles translates into absolute **** experience for everyone in the long run. Nobody is happy, whether they have it impossible or absolutely easy.

VS and NC are immensely frustrated and bitter, while TR is probably just getting old and tired. Every place you go, you outnumber the enemy 2:1. Tried capping bases that way? You may rack up a few kills but your enemy will probably not come out of the spawn and it's so boring you may just tab out of the game while in a sundy and rack up capture XP that way. It's boring so no long time TR player can really enjoy this absolute mess.

SOE, find a way to fix this absolute crapfest. Numbers are decreasing overall, anyway, so if a merger is necessary, so be it. Also, the whole "anti-fourth faction" bandaid fix you added some GUs ago turned against you as not only the fourth factioning is an increasing phenomenon, but it's also a more regulated one.

Before, you could log in at the last seconds of an alert to get your nice shiny certs on your winning faction alt, now you have to play the whole alert in order to get it. No problem, seeing as it is probably more enjoyable to play in the winning faction, you will just log into it around the time it started.
    • Up x 4
  13. Redshift

It's an artifact due to the way alerts run.

Firstly you have eejit players who log a TR alt right at the start that throws the balance off a bit.

As the alert progresses the pops become more unbalanced, this is because an alert is 2 hours long, the winning side is likely to try to last till the end to pick up all the extra exp, whereas the losing sides know their exp will be low so are more likely just to log off halfway through if something important (like sleep or baywatch) comes up.
    • Up x 1
  14. IronWarrior

Ha!, the regions we fight in we are always outnumbered by 80/90%, the only time I get to enjoy a high TR presance is when am enjoying farming some newbs in my harasser.

I hate how this sounds, but I kinda play a lot more then you, I kinda see the server all day and night.
  15. Klondik3

I'm not sure if you are trolling. If what you are saying was true then TR would never win any alerts because your population rarely gets beyond 50% during prime time.

Take a better look at the map next time. You will see there are plenty of fights between NC and VS going on during alerts.
  16. bPostal

You probably do, especially since I don't see any concrete information to back up your play time I'm just going to assume you play more often. I don't get to play often due to work and school. It doesn't help that my play times are often later in the day (with the odd exception of my off days).
    That said, from my personal experiences, plus what I hear from my outfit mates, plus what I've seen from these outfit mates who are switching over to NC and VS alts, plus what I've read on PSU, Reddit and the official forums gives me cause to believe that yes, this IS a problem and yes, it IS getting worse. As I've said before, if I want to play on an empty server I'd go play Planetside (not PS2).

You have to admit that it is a problem, even if your squad picks fights in highly popped NC and VS territory, the bulk of the TR are not. For me, it's been harder and harder to find a place for my platoon to play without overpopping and subsequently destroying the fight, we have to split the squads geographically most of the time (at least when I'm PL'ing).

It's a downward spiral that isn't healthy and it's spreading worse that a yeast infection at a Million Mom March. Hell, Miller isn't even the only server where this is an issue! I've got alts on Waterson and Connery and they're both overpopped with TR. Even when Connery isn't, the gameplay of my fellow TR makes me want to start TK'ing some fools (Hint: You can try to take over a biolab from the NC with one AMS and one hard spawn, but you shouldn't).

TLDR: Personal experience disagrees with yours and as such, I view this as much larger problem than you do. If the VS and NC aren't having a good time of it, then neither will we.
    • Up x 3
  17. IronWarrior

If you mean one VS/NC platoon having a ago at each other while fielding 2-3 Platoons against TR each, guess you are right.
  18. pomps

You sir, are a breath of fresh air, nice to hear it from the horses mouth!
  19. Hatamoto

Overall its getting boring as ****, you seem to have some type of glorification filter going on. Quality on miller is definatly down in general. I log in and immediatly log off most of the time because i feel boredom creeping up just looking at the population meter.
    • Up x 1
  20. bPostal

I'm not a horse! Horses go Moo Moo Moo! I go bit*h bit*h bit*h! Thanks tho
    • Up x 1