[Suggestion] @Mhigby. How can MBT secondaries be cooler?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ranik, May 15, 2013.

1. Ranik

• Up x 1
  2. Nathaniak

If the gunners got the primary weapon! (Say it with me, PS1 vets!)
    • Up x 1
  3. Ranik

While I agree, lets focus on one thing at a time :D
  4. Ash87

I really can't think of anything that would benefit Secondary Tank guns.

...Outside of making the "Secondary Tank gun" a Teritiary tank gun, and making the "Secondary" position the "Gunner" position.
    • Up x 1
  5. MilitiaMan

[IMG]

On topic, some cooler looking skins would be fine with me. Also, updated audio to them. Maybe make the AA guys sound a lot more mean.

I would like to see new Primary cannons....
    • Up x 1
  6. Alarox

Make the anti-infantry ES weapons deal light armor damage. The problem with those is that they are too niche to justify bringing to battle.

Currently I see 4 options for my secondary:

1.) Anti-armor weapon with anti-infantry potential, and even the ability to hit aircraft occasionally (I've had accurate gunners get multiple ESF hits in single runs). Sauron/Enforcer/Halberd and TR Vulcan (different, but fits here).

2.) All-round HMG that doesn't excel at anything, but can have usage in most scenarios. However, it's effect isn't enough to make a significant difference; it seems mostly like a good gun for someone to hop in and have some effectiveness.

3.) Niche AA guns. You're not going to kill any aircraft alone, but you can suppress any from going after your tank. This is nice, but they're essentially useless against vehicles or infantry which tend to be the most threat.

4.) Niche AI guns. Only use is killing infantry with very rare usage against closeup ESFs. You're better off using something from category 1.

-------------------

I think there should be a hard choice between category 1 and category 4. Category 1 should stay the same; AV with some AI potential. I think category 4 should be the opposite; AI with some AV potential.

This way you don't punish yourself by not using Sauron/Enforcer/Halberd/Vulcan and 3 weapons automatically become fun and viable choices.
    • Up x 3
  7. EliteEskimo

For starters optimizable cross hair reticles, for instance the Enforcer ML85's one is a straight upgrade from the Halberd's, and making the G30 Vulcan behave like an actual Gatling gun with a clip size carrying capacity of the Kobalt's or bigger.

Ranik, send him a link of my TR Refurbishment thread telling him to highlight the G30 Vulcan section please. :cool:
    • Up x 3
  8. Ranik

Lol will do.
    • Up x 2
  9. Ash87

The secondaries on tanks have ES, AA, AV, AI, and some that work in multiple roles. Going off of traditional weapon designs, you run the risk of power creep, needlessly. TTK being what it is, power creep should be avoided at all costs, instead, make something NEW

No, I don't mean an ES upgrade to another one of the traditional roll weapons... I mean make a weapon mechanic that is new. examples: give the Vanu some kind of Arc Lightning gun or beam cutter, the NC a rail driver or a cluster gernade, and the TR a flamethrower or Mortar. Introduce not a new kind of traditional weapon, but a NEW KIND OF WEAPON with it's own specialized form of use, roll, and what have you.

Explanations of above examples:

VS have high technology, give them an AI Weapon that jumps between targets, lesser damage, but again it can jump between multiple targets to drive people back, and the closer you are to the weapon the more powerful it is.
    A VS beam cutter would be a beam that shoots out, that can be swept in an arc and damages constantly along the beam, maybe the longer it is on a target, the more damage it causes (Beam burning through the target).

The NC need something that hits like a bus, but is slow to reload. Rail gun, no bullet drop and good damage you'd have to hit your target, but it would count as 30mm type ammo, in that it ignores most armor on armored vehicles.
    A NC Cluster gernade would be like a cluster bomb, shooting out into the air it would/could break apart and scatter gernades over an area.

The TR just need a reliable weapon that will always be of use, maybe a flame thrower. Where it hits, it leaves a temporary pain zone, that people can't walk through without some damage, it causes a bit of damage but it's greatest advantage is that it will leave a burning effect on whoever it hits for a few moments
    Mortar would be a weapon that shoots in an arc with a wide splash. It would be difficult to fire as it would arc Up before dropping, but you could charge up How far you want to shoot it and alter the angle. A high skill weapon.

See? Completely new types of Weapons, that potentially could contribute meaningfully to gameplay, while sticking to the theme of each respective faction.
  10. iRhuel

PPA is straight-up garbage. Saron mechanics too generic, even without projectile drop, and the .25 firing delay is completely unnecessary - makes it feel unresponsive and unwieldy, especially for a precision weapon. Suggest a reverse charge mechanic - starts charged for full damage, must wait after shot for recharge and full damage again.

Vulcan needs much larger mag capacity, slightly lower and more consistent/accurate damage to fit TR sustained fire MO. Currently operates more like a burst damage weapon, which is completely counter-intuitive for a chain gun.

Enforcer is way, way too similar in form AND function to Halberd. Very little reason to use one over the other. Needs some special quality to make it unique - the question "Enforcer or halberd?" should always be relevant.

can't comment on Enforcer cannister or marauder, as I have very little experience with both.
    • Up x 1
  11. Alarox

If you do that, post my idea for ES AI weapons getting light armor damage! Thanks.
  12. Ranik

I think i'll just throw the thread links up after a while. I can't quote all that much in a tweet :D
  13. Cinnamon

Vulcan would be cooler if it used heat management instead of magazines.

Marauder, I don't know, maybe an option load it with incendiary grenades that sets people on fire.

Enforcer and Saron are just Halberd like weapons I guess. I suppose Saron HRB would be cooler as a beam weapon that is instant but needs to be kept on target to do full damage but don't think the game engine handles that. Enforcer, wire guided maybe, eh.
  14. llPendragon

Are we talking about the Enforcer/Sauron/Insta-gib-auto-cannon-thingy?

For NC:
    I'd like to see a small clipped, long reload launcher with armor piercing rounds. No splash damage. Between 3 and 8 shots, depending on ROF, but with a horrendous reload time and relatively bad recoil. Keep the accuracy bad enough that it would take most of the clip to kill an Engineer trying to charge and place tank mines down. This goes with the "alpha strike" and long reload motifs of NC, but should keep it from being spammed. (Please don't make it another shotgun or single shot item.)

VS:
    Give the VS an accurate single-shot weapon that damages vehicles over time. Projectile speed of the Halberd, with similar visual characteristics, but with a payload that damages over time. It only damages MAXs and vehicles, leaving infantry with just the visuals. (Please don't make it another charge-up or delayed-fire item.)

TR:
    Give the TR a variable speed rotary cannon. Have it fire the Walker round at around the Walker speed as a normal setting. (Don't give it the Walker's elevation!) As an alternate fire mode, the canon will fire much faster. Give this alternate fire mode a cool down, but allow the user to switch back and forth. Similar to an Engineer's tool usage. The normal fire mode shouldn't be any more accurate than the Kobalt, and the faster fire mode should have worse accuracy and larger COF. (Please don't make it another lock-on item.)
  15. AwakenRiceball

VS:
    - Machine Gun Laser
    - Particle Beam (Replaces Rockets)
    - Plasma Cutter (Very slow 120mph, but deals exceptionally large amount of damage to armored targets. Long reload time + charge up time)

NC:
    - Rail Guns
    - Guided Missiles
    - Lock-on guided shells. Main driver waits for secondary gunner to lock-on to air or ground in order to fire the shell. Deals Top-Damage.
    - Canister shells (Fires large wide spread shotgun pellets)

TR:
    - Dual Gatling guns (Massive firepower against infantry, works like Basilisk against armored vehicles)
    - Unguided mini-rockets, something like this:
    - Long-Range Mortar (Can only be use in Anchor mode)

Other things:

- Different cert line for secondary gunner much like BF3 Helicopters (Main driver = Flares, Secondary = Flares). I honestly do not know what do here.
    - Shared experience from main gunner
    - Interior view from the cockpit
  16. Radec594

The Vulcan needs a smarter ammo management system; the PPA needs to stop being a wannabe-Lasher and stop sucking; the Enforcer, I think it's cool as it is, perhaps give it more accuracy with higher damage dropoff.

Also, can TR get an actually ES AI Secondary? :|

The Marauder feels like an overclocked Fury and it's got nothing special about to it; hell, I'd even go for a smaller, AI version of the Vulcan instead :)