[Suggestion] MG right click attachment for tanks.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GImofoJoe, Nov 29, 2014.

1. GImofoJoe

Tanks in this game needs better versatility. Modern tanks has 3 MGs, 1 big cal MG, 2 smaller. Having to use the main cannon to kill 1 infantry is unrealistically stupid, and you have to shoot them twice as Terran....lolwut? Why not add the right click attachment (such as NV,thermal) as a small MG? Just strong as an infantry LMG, I'm not asking for something as good as the secondary tank weapon. So I'm not wasting ammo that should be use on vehicles, something to finish off runaways if my cannon can't finish it.
    • Up x 5
  2. Paragon Exile

Realism should never be used as a point in favor of something in a game.

MBT's are already quite powerful, but this would be useful on the lightning. MBT's should rely more heavily on a second person to be their best, and empowering an individual is not the best idea here.
  3. Demigan

Using a completely uncerted Prowler I was one-shotting infantry yesterday, not a single direct hit survived. It would either be incredibly lucky or Prowlers can OHK infantry with a direct hit of HEAT.
  4. Thesweet

Essentially a super sized sniper rifle, makes me wonder why we even have tanks.

Yes this isn't a real life war sim, and it doesn't have to be. I mean they could even add in the ability to knife a tank, but that is ok, because we don't want to copy RL.

This game is nothing like ps1 and not in a good way. PS1 wasn't worried about kids crying about op tanks, because tanks where supposed to be op against infantry out in the open. Just like the reaver rolled tanks.
    • Up x 1
  5. BengalTiger

...and the Skyguard rolled Reavers, as did the Mosquito.

For those not in the know- Reavers were strike fighters which excelled in air to ground, but weren't really strong dogfighters, Mosquitoes were the air to air interceptors.
    Both types of fighters were available for all factions and the Scythe didn't exist.

Back to topic:
    Compare tanks to Sundies and they come out weak. Not just weak in terms of cost effectiveness, but weak in general.

Less armor, significantly less resistance to C4, lower top speed, unable to transport or spawn troops, unable to support other vehicles with repairs or ammo, unable to break through gate shields

Compare tanks to ESFs and they come out inflexible. A fighter can have a weapon that kills infantry and airplanes along with a weapon that kills tanks at the same time, both operated by one person.

Not so much in a tank, and the airplane which can obviously fly, is much faster and is also cheaper on top of it all.

As such, tanks need to fly, distribute ammo and spawn troops to be worth their 450 nanites...

Either that, or they need more protection and flexibility- in the form of blockade Sundy resistance to infantry weapons and a second weapon for the main gunner (who doesn't have to be the driver in the case of an MBT).
    • Up x 5
  6. task_master

1. My cannon kills infantry in one shot each, unless they're some crazy flak armor heavy or something. But how often do you honestly fight flak heavies?
    2. Asking from a purely TR standpoint here, since we mostly pull 1/2 tanks. If I've got a "secondary" driver gun that isn't as effective as a kobalt/basilisk/walker for AI, what's the point? I can already maintain my mobility just by using the maingun, which would probably be more effective than any MG which needs me to stay on target longer.
    3. You mention how modern tanks have lots of guns. Why would I want the extra hassle of many mediocre weapons, when I can just manage one ridiculously powerful main gun and perhaps a very effective secondary?
  7. Thesweet

Main cannon is powerful... What game are you playing? Vanny in pa1 could drop troops ohk indirect hit. Tanks in ps2 have pea shooters.
    • Up x 3
  8. KnightCole

Tanks are powerful in that they take rockets and heavy guns to kill. BUt the MBTs in this game in and of themselves? They suck royal balls.

Their firepower is lackluster at best...which is the main reason you get a tank, for the firepower......

The guns have no blast radius to speak of, and needing to pick AI/AT/AA or generalist loadout is kinda derpy, esp given how weak the guns are anyway.

It would be grand if we could take an ammo loadout on our tanks and the guns were a hellva lot more powerful. Sure, its annoying getting blown to bits by tanks......but its also annoying being that tank that cant blow anything to bits unless you directly hit it.

But ammo loadout, by default the Vanguard carries like 24 rounds, of that we should be able to choose a mix of AP/HE/HEAT. Then, yes, we should get a Coaxial MG on a tank. Hell, make it where Engineers are the tank crewman class, they are the main class who drives them anyway. Plus, it would give engis a true identity in this game. They are the Drivers/pilots/gunners and the like. next, make MBTs 600 resources, so losing one takes a minute to get it back.

Lengthen reloads so while the guns are powerful, they are slow to fire.
    Vanguard: 8s
    Prowler: 3s between its 2 shots, 7s reload
    Magrider: 6.5s(its got the lowest velocity, no turret, give it slightly better overall RoF)

Coaxial LMG:
    NC: 167@10m-143@60m 550RpM Ammo: 60/180)
    TR: 143@10m-125@60m 652RpM Ammo: 75/225)
    VS: 143@10m-125@60m 700RpM Ammo: 75/225)C

CoF would be a fixed and be about as good as an Adv Laser SMG.

But I dream....
    • Up x 3
  9. Auzor

1) suppose I can mix ap, he, heat. Why would I pick heat currently?
    So, guns need a rework.
    2) mbt vs sundy : another rework, in favor of the tanks.

3) longer reloads mean higher burst or alpha damage. For example, if a vanguard needs 8 seconds to reload, it MUST destroy a harasser in one shot, otherwise it is quite a derpy tank, where a harasser tanks a round, drives to the butt and fires away. It also punishes quite severly for missed shots.
    In general, I'm not against 'big guns', but even 6s is a long time in a video game, and possibly the max that is reasonable. On a positive note: the prowlers 120mm cannon would be more powerfull than the lightning 100mm, which is only logical.

4) Why does the TR gets the lower RoF than the vanu?
    IMO, for a vanguard sidegun: 200 dmg, 469 rpm, (A-Tross) 50 rounds. Option: change for the jackhammer. High muzzle velocity to be 'railgun'
    Vs: the Ursa, 167 dmg, 550 rpm. Lasher as option?
    Tr: definitely a 143 weapon or below. The bull? The Torq? Minigun as option.

Hopefully, the kobalt is better AI than those still.
  10. task_master

I never said the main guns were powerful. I said that I'd rather have a good main gun and good gunner weapon, than several mediocre guns that do the same job(s). Quality > quantity.

Also, I'm all for the rebuff of heat 1hk and he. Maybe not prowler he as much as the others, but point remains.
  11. SpartanPsycho

Lol. Powerful? HAHAHAHAHHAHAH
    • Up x 1
  12. Paragon Exile

MBT's wipe the floor with everything in the game provided they can hit it. The only thing that can survive for more than a few seconds is a Galaxy.

Going against an enemy MBT with a competent driver is essentially certain death unless you flank around his FoV or outnumber him, even then, if the pilot has any sense or spatial awareness he won't let that happen.
  13. Paragon Exile

Except they don't; they're the most powerful land vehicles in the game and the second most powerful after Liberators.

Using them to their full potential is hard, but when you do, they cannot be defeated barring luck, swarming or co-ordinated C4.

Their guns instantly kill infantry, are nearly impossible to side-step, mangle vehicles in seconds and are super-accurate. If you think they're weak, even after the nerf, you're using them incorrectly.

Otherwise known as the reason you use a secondary AI weapon.

That would be ridiculously overpowered (changing from AV to AP on a whim), would remove the current system of checks and balances, and would empower 1/2 drivers too much. What you're suggesting would make them farmmobiles.

Actually, we shouldn't.

They're also the only class that can repair and drop ammo, making them instrumental support classes. There is no reason to change the class in any major way.

That would be twelve minutes.

Thank god you're not a designer, or you'd break the balance of the game in one week.

You really need to stop to think about the implications of your changes; you're looking at them in vacuum and saying "well gee that looks swell!" when in fact what you're suggesting is horrible.
    • Up x 1
  14. SpartanPsycho

So what your saying is; if the driver is doing his job, you can't kill him as easily? Isn't that the exact same thing that infantry do to survive? Sounds like you've got a problem analyzing what you said.
  15. KnightCole

Show me on the model where the bad tank touched you.

Cuz it sounds like you have had alot of bad run ins with tanks....or are a bad tanker or something....

You dont need to outnnumber a tank to beat it...you just need to be quick on the trigger and never poke out the same spot twice.....batter a tank with a few rockets and he will back off.....resupply and sing it again. Only people with really bad luck or no strategic or tactical awareness are killed off by tanks.

Ofc, there are the moments when the thing just happens to be camping your sundy and he blows you up.....but thats just bad luck lol...

Tanks? In PS2? Powerful? Yeah, maybe 2 years ago......
  16. Pelojian

Why should TR and VS need more accuracy to fill the same function?
    and why should VS get a higher RoF?

so on top of the problems PS2 dev team has with balancing and complainers you want to add another set to balance. no just give every tank a commonpool design and same stats but with different skins and sound effects.

not all ES weapons should be radically different or unlike each other.
    • Up x 1
  17. Paragon Exile

Great job reading what was written and not what was meant :p

Using a tank poorly is a death sentence, using one properly is a guaranteed farm. Infantry and tanks are not comparable here.
  18. Paragon Exile

[IMG]

Confirming I'm terrible.

It takes more rockets than a heavy has by default to kill a tank. To kill a tank head-to-head you need to C4, mine an area it or... that's it. Killing it with rockets requires an engineer ammo bag or the rocket bag upgrade, and even then it takes a very long time. In that time the tank can escape from a bad spot or shoot several shots at you.

lol

Right.

If you think tanks aren't powerful, then you are either bad at using them or face bad enemies.
  19. Paragon Exile

Also, stop using so many ellipses, they make my face hurt.
  20. KnightCole

As much as a tank round to the face?
    • Up x 1