[Suggestion] Merge Icarus and Drifter jump jets

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by IceShades, Feb 7, 2015.

1. IceShades

Pressing the ability key will toggle between the two modes. Isn't that exciting?
    LA is all about moving around, the terrain changes rapidly and different locations and scenarios require different jumpjets, I get so frustrated when I have equipped the wrong jetpack, can't see how having both modes can unbalance LA.
    Please tell me what you think and share your reasoning as well ;)
  2. LibertyRevolution

If drifters could have vertical thrust with F, then what would be the point in normal jump jets??
    Its like if they gave Icarus more fuel.. then there would be no reason to use normal jump jets..
    • Up x 2
  3. IceShades

should there really be a point in something obsolete? :)
  4. Iridar51

Toggling is stupid. I would consider hitting F to get a vertical speed boost, for example, but not toggling. Toggling is stupid.
  5. Opapanax

It craze that I remember when the game first dropped and how Icarus jumpjets where seen for LA. 2 years later and they still are not fully functioning in live server. Just mind strapping that it's taken this long.

Smh
  6. Iridar51

Getting a bit of tired of people acting like stuff on PTS is what we have now. With SOE/Gamebreak it's not live until it's live. It may very well be many months till we see Icarus, if at all.
    • Up x 2
  7. Opapanax

That's what I'm saying they never moved from PTS to Live as a fully functioning thing.
  8. IceShades

I don't get what you're complaining about..
  9. Iridar51

As I recall, Icarus weren't functioning properly before, they used to cause some sort of desynch issue due to player moving too fast. Current Icarus don't seem to be that fast though.
    • Up x 1
  10. Demigan

What I heard was that the player model and hitbox would desync. So you saw the LA fly upwards but the actual hitbox would be several meters below. That's one of the reasons (I think) that the adrenalin pump is such a measly 10% and can't be upgraded any higher. LA would be a perfect candidate for some sweet speed alterations, but I guess that higher than 10% speed increase would mean a desync or cause the hitbox to "stutter" behind the player, catching up and desyncing over and over.

Edit: The normal jumpjet is slower than walking I think, and from what I saw the current Icarus is somewhere near sprint speed, keeping well within the boundries.
  11. IceShades

How do ESFs manage to work properly and infantry not? don't they both use the same mechanism?
  12. Iridar51

With some technique, you can accelerate to be a bit faster than sprint, but that's it.

They don't accelerate that fast, I guess. What I'm more curious about is MAX charge.
  13. PeggleFrank

It could also be the hitbox. With something like a MAX, an ESF, or even a Magrider with turbo, it's pretty hard to miss, even if the hitbox is slightly displaced. Further, (iirc) flak cannons don't even need to hit the actual hitbox of an aircraft to deal damage, and most anti-armor weapons are explosive and have slow projectiles.
  14. Demigan

I should have been clear, going straight up you are about as slow/slower than walking. Seeing the height of a roof and how fast I can travel the same distance walking I would think so at least.
  15. Freedym Fry

Two different keys, one for drift one for jump, would be sweet, using the fuel drain associated with the level of the appropriate cert lines purchased, so that when you are drifting, you use your drift line consumption, and when you are jetting, you use your jump jet consumption, appropriate to the respective lines unlocked.

Alternatively, another compromise might be applying the consumption value of the jump jet first (while going upwards), and once released, drifting from that height downward, if the keypress is resumed. I realize that this would prevent re-applying vertical acceleration (which is why I favor the first solution), but overall, it's still a favorable compromise to allow the best of both worlds. If you just wanted to drift, you could tap, then hold.

I do think having access to both on the same loadout would be a reasonable improvement to the light assault mobility. Keeping the two lines as separate cert line specialties maintains their separate evolutions as specialties, while applying both to gameplay.
  16. Demigan

Perhaps an alternative would be a directional jumpjet?
    Instead of space=up, direction arrow=direction, this jumpjet goes in the direction you are looking at. It has Icarus speed and fuel (so higher speed, less fuel). If you look up you can go up, if you look down you can go down in a controlled descent, if you look forwards or diagonally you'll go that way.
    I would prefer that instead of the current Icarus, which seems a completely redundant option right now. As an extra you could seperate it: space allows you to work it like a normal jumpjet (with Icarus fuel and regen), F allows you to jumpjet into the direction you are looking at.
  17. Corezer

"Merge Icarus and Drifter jump jets"

they have this, it's called jump jets...
    • Up x 1