Mentor squads do nothing, maybe even hurt the game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Aug 6, 2019.

1. karlooo

Each time I join, the game forces me into some random mentor squad I think.

These are the worst squads I've ever seen...No leader, no coordination, strategy, it's basically like as if I wasn't in a squad.
    Forcing players into these useless squads only divides everyone and makes real squads have less members.
    I've seen some good small squads, with a leader, great players and everything, but not enough players simply because these 'mentor' squads split the community apart.
    • Up x 2
  2. pnkdth

One aspect which needs to be considered is that these players are all new. You should not expect great things because sometimes it is hard to get players with 40+ BRs to behave like a sentient organism capable of collaboration and complex thoughts.

That being said, the mentors themselves should be able to step up unless the people doing it are simply trying exploit the system for other rewards.
    • Up x 1
  3. Demigan

I think you expect too much. New players will first want to explore the game by themselves, but a mentor squad allows them to ask questions whenever they hit a dead end and since they are more likely to spawn near their squad lead (the supposed Mentor) you get to guide them a bit to a good experience.

You shouldnt expect mentor squads to play as a squad and you should expect even less that they would follow your lead. Mentor them, look at the map where they are and help them. If you follow one even if it is just on the map and support him verbally or by kicking butt next to them even if he makes a mistake. This way you can encourage teamplay, questions and a player that sticks around.
  4. karlooo

I think a much more effective way of bringing in new players would be by simply making an official tutorial and linking it to them in-game. Trust me this is a much much more effective way than 'mentoring' (most of the time they ignore you) and exploring.
    A full, in depth tutorial, explaining the game mechanic, redeploy mechanic, the main objective, how to play air, tank, the squads, etc.

If you leave the new players to explore for themselves, they'll just uninstall after experiencing this complete mess. This game makes no sense, it's not user friendly, it needs a full explanation, so the player can know where to invest...it's not nice to invest 2 hours of certs to find out you hate what you just bought.

Most importantly it needs an active squad. In an open world game ppl expect teamwork.
  5. DarkStarAnubis

Because you have the option to join a squad when logging selected. Change if you do not want to.

You are free to make a better one, what are you waiting for?
    • Up x 3
  6. OneShadowWarrior

I felt this was a waste of time and man power when they could have concentrated on more fixes, optimizations with graphics and sound, better client hit detection, eradicating cheaters and improving server performance.

There are more than enough veterans in this game running outfits to help the newbies out.
  7. OldMaster80

All new?? I have only one character since beta and I keep being thrown in those random open squads. Karloo if freaking right: if the purpose is to help new players it's totally failed, it's the opposite they create just a lot of confusion.
    There is no communication, no real leadership, cohesion is always low because players do not even care to stay on the same continent.

The only thing those squads achieved is to prove what kind of mindless mess this game has become. The spirit of Planetside died years ago, the game right now is just a stupid meatgrinder without a battle flow where only two things matter: where is the redeploy button, and where to read the kdr.
  8. Skraggz

With they auto join feature I think the devs intent was for new people to be grouped right off the bat with mentors. Few problems though... the training course should show you how to use comms and have them on by default. Another is a friend I tried to get into the game made it past the beginning course but instantly got stuck on koltyr with no idea how to get into real fights on the proper continents... never got him to log on again after that.... and he is the type that likes battlefields.
  9. FateJH

Did you not tell him?
  10. Skraggz

He logged on while I was at work, cant quite tell him how to get to a continent when I do not know he logged. But it is an example of a flaw the game has that drives away a new player.
    • Up x 1