Members Sale July 20th: Think carefully about the Falcon

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Psykmoe, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Psykmoe

Just a warning to people eyeballing the Falcon: That 100m/s velocity value isn't telling the whole truth. The Falcon, when fired, is one of the slowest rockets in the game, at about 40-50m/s.

Allegedly at some mysterious point the Falcon accelerates to 100m/s but certainly not inside any range where a slow, unguided rocket is useful. Not for 200-300m.

I'm NOT saying not to buy it, but just be aware that it will be slower than listed and that might impact your decision. Just warning people in the interest of full disclosure.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/falcon-velocity-bugged.140853/

There's a bug report thread about it, but of course there has been no response to tell us what is bugged: Is it the velocity? Is the tooltip just wrong and it is meant to be that slow? Is the alleged acceleration just set so low it doesn't reach 100m/s until it has flown well out of sight? We may never know for sure. I'd take a 'working as intended, suck it up nerds' at this point.
  2. Epic High Five

It's useful against anchored prowlers who are closer than 80m away and that's about it. The convergence is so strange that you'll never hit anything close up.

I bought both arms and enjoyed them back when they were an invisible but finicky grenade launcher and enjoy them. Now they're a slow, huge, obvious rocket that's dodged so easily that you may as well not ever load it out.

It's a shame because a swift fire and forget rocket keeps you safe and is good for dealing with fast targets like Harassers. It's supposed to be faster than the Comets, for reference.

I wouldn't suggest buying it. The problem has been ignored for so long that it's likely going to get the Adrenaline Shield treatment and instead of fixing the velocity, they'll fix the tooltip :(
  3. Psykmoe

Bump as more people get online.
  4. NC_agent00kevin

Falcons are terrible; only useful for a stationary vehicle - that the owner has exited and left behind. Not only that, but the convergance is so nonsensical that its pretty hard to hit Infantry up close with it and shots that should land in a logical world go wild. Its a joke and I suggest skipping it. At very least try them out in VR to see what we are talking about.
  5. Psykmoe

Yeah, I really wish they were better. I love Comets on my VS character.

I don't know what to think about the Pounder, but at least the tooltip is honest - it reaches a 100m target significantly faster than a Falcon, even with the arcing flight path because of being a grenade launcher.
  6. Qel

Honestly I wouldn't bother, sure if you happen to be in a Max at the time and some armour rolls up it can be situationally useful to switch to but 9/10 you'll be better off just going HA with the rocket launcher of your choice.
  7. Flashtirade

I don't know what they were thinking when they changed the Falcon, other than to make it inferior to the Raven in almost every way. Heck, they didn't even change the firing sound for it, it still sounds like it's firing grenades.

My advice? Don't buy the Falcon, it's almost Pounder-worthy (and even that gets better with lockdown) and the devs don't care about it to make it worth using.
  8. Psykmoe

Well, I specifically made this thread to warn people who might not be aware that Falcons aren't just "Cosmos with higher alpha but only 1 shot per mag" as the tooltip makes it look.

If they test it in VR and are still ok with it? Not my place to tell them to not buy it.

But being an informed buyer is good.
  9. Pikachu

Good for peekaboo shots against a sunderer or if you're close to a tank that haven't spotted you. Overall it's a boring weapon not worth spending time on.
  10. Lolki

It only costs 250 certs so I don't see why you'd buy it with SC anyway, even when it's on sale.
    • Up x 1
  11. notyourbuddy

The rockets are highly visible to the enemy, slow, limited to 1-shot per clip, and suffer random convergence.

Its highly useful against deployed Sunderers. But, pretty bad when used against a moving vehicle (even big ones like a Sunderer) as you have to lead the target by so much. Speed+Convergence also makes it pretty meh when trying to fend off even a lone infantry at any range.

If you are an NC MAX hoping this is anything near the equivalent of the VS Comet than you will be extremely dissapointed. If they fixed the velocity bug it might be okay (since it allows peek-a-boo attacks where the Raven does not), but in its current form I even prefer the TR's Pounders over the Falcon.
  12. siddar

Don't buy falcon its bad. Its short range dead zone is highest of all AV max weapons making it terrible versus infantry. It also has very slow velocity and huge rocket flare that reveals your position long before your shots even hit.

Ravens have much less of a dead zone and can be very accurate at range. Don't waste certs or SC falcons just wait tell ravens go on sale.
  13. THUGGERNAUT

this topic serves a good purpose if it prevents even one person from buying the falcon. it is slower than molasses and inaccurate as ****, and don't even bother shooting it at infantry, the shots never converge so you can never kill them before they escape.
  14. LibertyRevolution

eh, they are still better than pounders....
    • Up x 1
  15. JKooL

Falcons are completely and utterly worthless. There is no reason to ever pull a Falcon max.