Medic help.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by entity009, Jan 27, 2017.

1. entity009

I have become pretty decent with HA, LA and infil. I recently decided I would like to start working on medic directives and assault rifles. Man, has it been a rude awakening. I am finding it to be a very difficult class to play effectively and maintain a decent k/d. Medic has no ability to enhance their combat effectiveness and is often targeted first in combat situations. I feel that it has more to do with shooting the guy you know is not going to pop an over-shield than it is a tactical objective to take out the medic.

I understand that k/d is not everything but I still prefer to try to post daily k/ds that are better than my lifetime k/d (so that i am always improving). Currently my only solution is to play my medic for a while and then swap back to one of the more assault oriented classes just to bring it back up to my norm.

I feel like my only defense as a medic is to become super accurate and capitalize on the superiority of ARs. This seems like a poor defense when I am constantly running into heavies who can land full auto headshots with LMGs and pretty much make the theoretical time to kill of ~.5s a reality at almost any range up to 50m.

Any of you guys pro medics who care to share any advice about the class and how to be more effective with it?
  2. breeje

as a medic you don't want to be first in combat, play always with a team and use your heath repair as a HA shield
    the only difference between the HA shield and the medics health is HA pop there shield as fast as possible
    the medic wants to pop there health as soon as his shield goes down

the medics weapons are one of the best in the game, so get to know them and use them in the right way
    i only play as a medic with my outfit and when i play medic they always ask me to run in the back with revive grenades
    medics are not a assault class but they can stand there own if needed especially in CQC with the right weapon
    and yes when playing medic my K/D drops also, i think only the die hard medic have the experience to get there K/D up
  3. Ziggurat8

Nanoweave rank 4 or 5 as soon as possible. Use a high DPS weapon with forward grip. My personal favorite is the HV-45. It's my favorite weapon in the game hands down. Terminus is also excellent as well as the stock pulsar. ADS and shoot heads, even resist shield HA drop with a quickness.

Forget the healing aura. It's ok but shield recharger is where it's at. You're not gonna want to be a straight up blitzer as a medic. Plunk the charger down near some cover in range of as many firing lines as possible. Interesting thing about the shield charger is if you're in range it constantly restores your shield at a set rate even while taking damage. Then play peak a boo around doors returning to the charger any time you take a hit or 2.

Med kits for your own HP. Try to keep friendlies topped off whenever you can. Only ever revive if you have cover or you're sure it's safe until you get max rank med tool. Being exposed trying to rez a friendly for longer than 1-2 seconds will just get you dead too. Also it should go without saying, but don't rez if there are enemies within your LOS. I've seen medics pull out their med tool and try to rez the guy I just killed with me standing 12m away. It's kind of nuts.

Revive grenades can help you pick up several friendlies at once or rez people you can't get to without dying, but don't waste it on guys that die out in the open, they'll just be free kills again.

Use the dead friendlies indicator as a kind of scouting tool. Anyone you see dead on the minimap assume there is a threat very close by to that spot so be on high alert for enemies.
    • Up x 1
  4. entity009

I have been running with the shield regen field because it seems to be more useful to my teammates. The loss of the ability to heal myself with an ability sucks so i usually carry medkits. I have both the field and the aura heal maxed. I also have max nanoweave. I have every AR fully decked.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will just keep swapping classes to keep from falling too far behind until i get better with medic. Sucks doing that because working toward master rank took a while when I was focused on that weapon type alone. Carbines were the easiest so far because the LA can always get into position to land a few quick kills. AR is proving a little tougher because the medic can't just hop up on a wall and shoot down at everyone. The opportunities to get a kill steak going are allot harder to come by for the earthbound medic.

I dont care for the gr22 which is the NC hv-45. It is too cqc oriented and has so much horizontal shake i despise it. The hv-45 on my vs is 100% badass tho. I like the tross most for range and the carnage for cqc. The 5 guns i chose to lvl are: Reaper, Tross, Carnage, Gauss and Gauss-S
  5. Liewec123

i'm not a pro medic, but i think recently they made it so revives act as a -1 kill for KDR,
    so say you revive a guy and then die, your death won't register on the KDR meter :)

i'm not sure of all of the details (like whether or not revive grenades will give you a ton of free deaths)
    but i think you could get a pretty decent KDR focusing on reviving and getting kills when they are opportunistic :)
  6. TheSunlikeOne

Forget about Gauss S. Maybe it's personal, but that gun is meh at its best. Stick with GR22, it's recoil is more managable, than HV-45's.
    Use selfheal ability (shield device is nice to have, but its usefulness is overrated), when being shot - often helps with surviving. Max lvl of nanoweave armor is must have as well.

It was a glitch and had been fixed the 1st monday after the update.
  7. entity009

The gauss-s is the exact same as the gauss but it can equip a compenstor and has select fire. It is a more controlable version of the gauss.

I have the gr22, i freeking hate it. The Horizontal shift is horrendous and its random so there is no adjusting for it. The gun is great in cqc but leaves you up turd creek if you need to engage beyond 20m.

I find that the carnage has many of the benefits of the gr22 without being as wild when fired at midrange.
  8. Liewec123

oh dam, i thought it was a perk. :eek:
    it was a good idea too and might have convinced people to actually play medic and rez!
  9. TheSunlikeOne

It has lower RoF, which let me down so many times (I've auraxed both Gauss and Gauss S.).
  10. entity009

577 down from 600 that is less than a 4% decrease in firerate. I gladly take a 4% firerate hit to be able to run a compensator which makes the weapon much more easy to control midrange ads. It can also be clicked into burst mode and as such preforms almost exactly like the gauss burst. I like it more than the base version.
  11. Halkesh

Personally, I play my medic this 2 way :
    Assault medic. Where my goal is to go to the frontline with heavies, then revive once the room is clear. I take all the stuff that increase my chance to win a 1vs1 battle at close range. You can see assault medic as weaker HA but with the ability to revive friends.
    Weapon : High DPS is better (shotgun, SMG, CQC AR)
    Ability : Self-heal is better than shield recharge in this configuration since you are moving too much and need it immediately
    Suit : Nanoweave armor or grenade belt (frag grenade)
    Misc : C4 if you feel it will be useful, take auxiliary shield in the other cases. (every HP increase is good to take)

Support medic. Where my goal is to take a good position and defend it or provide supportfire for allies that push. I'll revive nearby allies as quick as possible (as long as it's safe for me to do) : more ally alive means the push will be more effective. As a supportfire medic I'm polite : I let ally pass doors and choke point first. You can see support medic as a mobile spawnpoint : staying alive is more important for your team than doing kills.
    Weapon : High accuracy is better (battle rifle, mid/long range AR)
    Ability : Shield recharge is better since you tend to support your friend and stay at the same place often.
    Suit : Flak armor (you'll die more from explosive than bullet), nanoweave is good but mandatory at this distance, grenade belt (revive grenade)
    Misc : Auxiliary shield often allow you to survive that 1 bullet at the moment you reach cover. Note medkit/restokit can be replaced by regeneration implant.

It is here from a long time ago but it don't work exactly how you described it.
    Actually, it erase a death count from the dead guy, not from the medic.
  12. TheSunlikeOne

You'll feel it (DPS decrease) though. And Gauss Rifle platform is already controlable enough to run without compensator.

But, I guess you have already decided what is better personally for you.
  13. entity009

I totally understand. I just really like a more stable gun in the for midrange. I am going to arax both of them. When I run with the gauss-s I definitely notice the enhanced stability. With the comp equipped the gauss-s is not as effective in closer engagements but I reallllly prefer to keep my distance as a medic. In those situations i feel that being able to stay on target for a longer burst makes up for the lost firerate.

Thanks to all you guys for your input. Your suggestions are all very helpful. Its nice to see the helpful side of this community.
  14. Klabauter8

Medic is crap. It's only use is having a single one in a squad who just stays behind and revives. Otherwise it's completely useless.
  15. Eternaloptimist

I use medic auto heal function as a free in-built resto kit and rezz 'nades for those times when it is too dangerous to run up to someones body to use the medic gun. I also run the aux armour as I have little use for C4 or medkits (see auto heal above).

Other than that I play an aggressive, shooty medic (but not as aggressive as HA) which I think helps me to remember to use my situational awareness rather than just care bearing around trying to heal or rezz everyone without noticing what is threatening me.

I use a high RoF CQC rifle with option to switch to a burst AR for longer range (and maxed nanoweave as my playstyle makes bullets the more likely threat, over explosions).
  16. BrbImAFK

Clearly you know nothing about medic at all.

ON TOPIC:
    Lots of people have made useful suggestions above.

Medic can be played as Medium Assault (less durability than heavies, but more than the other infantry classes) and there are plenty of decent CQC weapons available to the Medic and AR's are a pretty decent class of weapons overall. Run frags and nanoweave and nano-healing aura with it. Use other people as bait. Let the HA enter the room first and follow. Or flank through another entry while he draws the fire. Kill anything he misses or whatever's left over when he goes down. Rez him. Use him as bait again in the next room. It works better in an outfit, when you know what the other dude is going to do, but it works fine solo as well.

Medic can also be played as Support by building a fire-base just behind the front line. A medium ranged weapon, 'nade bando and rez 'nades, shield emitter thingy and medkits. Provide your allies with a (relatively) safe place to recharge and reload. Heal them up where necessary. Toss 'nades when you can't get to the revive spot (but don't waste them on dudes that'll just get instakilled straight away again). Provide cover fire when you're not doing any of the above.
  17. Rydenan

In the event you play NC:
    1. Grab the A-Tross with grip, comp, and 1x reflex.
    2. Plink-plink those headshots. With three in a row you'll do 1200 damage in 0.26 seconds.
    3. Melt heavies like butter.
    4. Receive ragetells.
    Also, as a medic, you can even press F when in a particularly dicey situation, and regen will allow you to absorb a few extra bullets.

Honestly I find the medic to be almost as good as the HA as a brute-force combat unit.
  18. FieldMarshall

I sometimes use nano-regen, and swap medkits for the auxiliary shield. I know it sounds silly, but it seems to work for me.
    Also, using nano-regen like the HAs shield (for example activating it in combat) may also give you a (very small) survivability boost.