Medic Granades

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Oleker2, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Oleker2

Both healing and reviving granades, any worth to buy/use them?
  2. Dusty Lens

I'm going to invoke the opinions of persons with whom I've spoken on the subject, as I've not employed either myself. If you can forgive the conjecture mayhap their experiences and my own will help you out.

As a medic you'll do a lot of pew. Frags are extremely effective at making murders and at clearing a room. More than once a room has been cleared of hostiles who observe the blinking red sphere of doom, allowing for a critical hasty revive. They're worth keeping and by no means surrendered. Nuking a chokepoint will do as much to help your team as the more beneficial options.

That being said! Grenades are extremely temperamental and do not like to go where you want them to. They make for a poor health delivery tool in the way that, say, something akin to C4 would easily get around. Ensuring that the healing grenade gets to where you want it to go in order to heal a group of persons, while simultaneously working around the detonation time, is extraordinarily unwieldy.

You can do more faster with your healing gun and your healing aura.

Res grendades suffer the same issues, but can be extremely effective in the right circumstances. But only the right circumstances. A room of exploded persons, such as you often see in a biolab shelter when a mob of derp Waterson TR stand slack jawed staring at the C4 a friendly LA bequeathed them can be quickly brought back into fighting status. Likewise a group of persons pushing a chokepoint.

But there are some issues.

1. AFAIK the resnade will bring folks back in the same fighting shape they'd observe if red's by a lvl 3 healing gun. On their feet but not in full fighting order. This will demand either quick movement on their part if a hazard remains present or some quick healing on your own, assuming that masterful teamwork with a healing nade is not present (a situation I have an extremely hard time picturing).

2. A fully certed healing gun, which should be your top goal, can do virtually the exact same job better.

3. Res (and, to backtrack) healnades are bloody expensive. Infantry resource points you'll want to be dumping into C4 down the road.

4. Chucking a res grenade at the enemy like a derp. Whoops.

TLDR: Heal nades are too niche and too haphazard to use in an environment where a body is usually dead before they can **** their pants. Res nades are useful in the exact circumstances (and can net you a motherlode of EXP if you manage to drop one on a flotilla of corpses) but suffer questionable universal utility.

Hope that helped.

Edit: That being said, a delivery system on par with C4 would be really nice. Being able to strategically drop a resbrick (*eyeballs those triage certs he's not going to be buying into anytime soon) to light up at what some might consider a future troublespot would be extremely epic.

Edit again: One thing that I probably should muse on is the range advantage of the heal/resnade. But, in all fairness, if you can't reach a dead guy it's probably because he's nipple deep in the dangerzone and your efforts will earn him nothing more than an extension on his respawn timer and more experience for whatever nuked him. Maybe.
    • Up x 1
  3. vincent-

I'll throw my 2cents into this and just say if you're playing medic you already know what you need more than anything and to focus on what you're gonna cert into as well.

I personally have rez grenades just because I can use it to rez a couple of dead heavy soldiers from across a building after a tank passed by to give them a second chance. I also stick with my rifle to do what is needed as grenade bounce feels so wrong in this game I can't rely on it to kill.
  4. Fraya

Grenade bounce is weird yes but it is consistent.. I recommend spending some time at the warpgate bouncing nades around to learn how they roll and ricochet.. when you can get it to land wherever you want around corners, up a set of stairs, off the wall, etc 9 times out of 10 you'll be ready to rock.
  5. EsotericReverie

I got the revive grenades about a week ago, and I really like them. You should be aware of a few things though:

A) You need to be good at throwing grenades to be fully effective with them. Practice!

B) You'll only be able to carry one at a time, unless you ditch that nanoweave armor for a grenade bandolier.

C) There is a delay before the grande goes off, I think it is slightly longer than the delay on a frag grenade.

D) They can be very good if used in the right situation; specifically, they allow you to get allies back on their feet without exposing yourself. Sure, you can rez three or four people with the level 6 meditool in the same time it takes to throw a jesus bomb - given that you don't need to run to get over there. But you will possibly need to expose yourself to fire. The places where people die a lot tend not to be the safest.

E) They cost rather a lot, at 100 infantry resources a piece.

Saying all of that, I really like them, for all their drawbacks. Getting four, five or even six revives from a single grenade throw feels really good! But max out your meditool first, if you haven't already. It's totally worth those last 500 certs.
  6. Intruder313

I won't touch them until they remove the bounce or just detonate faster (like a Sticky or Concussion Grenade does).

My Outfit mate uses the Revive and he says sometimes people come back at 50%, sometimes full. Maybe it's got 2 Radii....
  7. Zagz

I've been pushing heal and revive nades for a while. The first tool you need is the maxed out medic gun. That thing is just wonderful and the extra 4 meter range is really good. Your second priority should be your Aura ability. This pretty much renders the heal grenande useless.

Still debating on the Rez grenade...
  8. DeadLamb

I really like the res grenades... don't get me wrong, max out the medical gun first of course but the res grenade is very handy. You really need to save it for that right moment but even if you only use it for one or two people, it can pay off.

I've throw it into windows for someone I can't reach, up on roofs, down flights of stairs. Used it as a last ditch "I know I'm dead but YOU can live on" move. Also works as a quick save being you can throw it and be back to shooting way faster then if you had to run across the room to the person. Granted, for the cost you will not be doing that very much but it's still a nice option to have.

that being said. I have throw it at a window and missed. I've throw it at a corner of a room and missed (wtf). I've forgot and throw it at bad guys a few times (whoops). It's the sort of toy you have when you're a little higher in rank and have certs and resources to play with really. Like I only bought it being I needed something else to bank extra resources into.

I would not suggest buying it if one is always resource poor and having a hard time keeping themselves in c4 now or if you don't have some of the key items for other classes, like say tank mines yet.
  9. asdfPanda

The rez grenade helps out quite a bit in zerg vs zerg, but most of the time I still stick with the regular.
  10. Serafan

Revive grenades are amazing, once you learn how to throw them accurately you can do some great stuff with them. Rezzing people from outside the building by throwing it through a window, rezzing people behind a group of enemies, rezzing a theoretical infinite number of people at once.

I don't have any problems killing people, I have a rifle which does that job quite well and C4 when I want to make something explode. Rez grenades bring a unique tool to your belt.
  11. Fraya

I wonder if you throw it and it bounces back to stop at your feet and you die before it goes off can you rez yourself with the grenade?
  12. TheOR4CLE

Resnades are awesome. I only play with my outfit so I'm usually around a large group of people. I've netted so many additional revives from using grenades it's crazy. At first you start really conservative since they're expensive and difficult to use. A couple of days later you'll throw a grenade to revive a single person out of range while you're bringing up a different one with your gun.

I think the resnade is very powerful and because it can be deployed so quickly that it is a good choice for true support medics. Keep a resupply terminal close or even grab the grenade bandolier. Don't be scared that 1 extra bullet will kill you. If you're netting mad xp using grenades then grab the bandolier.

The most useful situation you will find them for is using them as counter to successful frag grenades. Frag grenade downed 3 people, resnade revived the same 3. Run in and pop your aura up and it's like it never happened.