MBT vs C4

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BengalTiger, Jun 20, 2013.

1. DarkerHalf

I don't care.
  2. DarkerHalf

There's no cert that will let you survive a direct hit by a rocket either, and there are a whole lot more of those than there are tanks.

Tanks are not effectively free. Even if you're fighting on a continent where you're earning 100 vehicle resources a tick, that's still 25 minutes to recoup the cost of the tank. The cooldown certs are useless at that point. Yes, tank weapons can one shot you on a direct hit. They also only fire one shot every few seconds. If a tank main cannon couldn't kill an infantry in a direct hit, there would never be any use in engaging infantry in a tank, because in many cases you're looking at 6-8 seconds to kill an infantry if you hit with two shots in a row.

Also, tanks can't be revived. When you die as an infantry, not only do you not lose resources, but a medic can come pick you up right after. With no medic around, you can still spawn at the nearest sunderer or drop pod into the same fight. A tank getting destroyed loses 60% of its resource pool, and has to be pulled again from a base that can spawn tanks. On esamir, that might mean the warpgate.

In essence, comparing an infantry death to a tank death is silly and not at all the same. Flak armor also costs less than any of the tank main guns do, and will generally save you not only from tanks, but any splash damage in the game, including infantry grenades and c4. It's a much more versatile defense than anything tanks get.
  3. EliteEskimo

If this game gets to the point where MBT tank shell direct hitting an infantry doesn't kill them then truly the game will be a piece of ****. Direct hitting a running infantry is not easy, and having 50% splash damage reduction on top of the splash damage nerf means infantry are already more than capable of certing into being anti-tank. You gotta laugh at how stupid the game is when you can land 2 shells right at the infantry's feet just to see them run. Not only will you be anti-tank defensively you will be an AV threat that costs 0 resources, and have 0 cool down.

Radar doesn't protect you against C4, it gives you a chance to protect yourself against infantry in general. It's not like Mineguard or Sunderer Blockade armor which truly do protect you directly against C4.
    • Up x 1
  4. Cleaver

I don't understand the logic of the price comparison.
    450 mech resources will get you a tank which can be repaired and resupplied infinitely, so if played right you could get infinite kills with it.
    200 infantry resources will give you a chance to kill one/two people and their tank. Looking at the stats of experienced C4 users, most seem to have a hit rate of a third to a quarter. It's easier to hit infantry that vehicles with C4, so I'd imagine the hit rate on vehicles is lower. And this is including hits that aren't kills, so the kill rate will be lower still.

In terms of resource expenditure versus average XP gain for experience MBTers and experienced C4ers, it seems like the MBTs will be getting more back. In terms of potential XP gain, MBTs are ahead by far.
  5. vanu123

How about we give the tanks a lower resource cost instead.
  6. LoveYourKitten

You are asking for a nerf against your number one death type, which is C4, along with a buff for MBTs in the form of Composite armor which would also further nerf every other form of AV against tanks. Are you for real? How are you even finding yourself being C4'd often enough for there to even be an issue here? A tanker who is using 3rd person while driving isn't likely to be blown up, nor are you likely to find yourself in much danger on the open battlefield. So, I can only assume you must frequent dangerous areas (mountain passes, lots of rocks nearby, etc) or you do a fair amount of spawn room camping?

If a LA was able to C4 your tank then he did something right and you did something wrong.
  7. BengalTiger

That's kind of the opposite of what SOE did, which sparked the whole debate, when tanks were cheap this was not an issue.

I get blown up by C4 once per half hour or even more (and often once in the mean time by other threats), so if I'm able to grab a tank as soon as I need it (and not after a long and boring wait of even 45 minutes if the NC doesn't own much terrain with tank resource generation on any continent), I'd be also fine.

But then we'd get back to tank zergs- these however wouldn't be a problem if existing bases were redesigned to be like those in the Battle Island videos, complete with large interiors and areas of limited vehicle access. Tanks would have an advantage in the open of being strong and plentiful (more targets for me); but they'd risk getting nuked if they get stuck in a back alley- fits with both the gameplay, where everyone has their niche and somewhat with realism as tanks alone cannot really conquer a city.
    • Up x 2
  8. ragnarok992

I suppose the problem isn't more so with the cost of the C4 itself, but with its ability to be stockpiled whereas vehicles cannot. Pre-nerf this wasn't an issue as the respawn timers were the primary constraint on vehicles, so that a dedicated driver of vehicles could still make himself useful in another vehicle even if it wasn't an MBT. However now the primary constraint is the resource system, meaning that an item which can be stockpiled well in excess of the resource cap when not in use, can effectively deny an entire play style which is now solely limited by the hard cap.
    • Up x 1
  9. Macchus

can this thread hit 60 pages by tommorow ? 57 seems a bit low ...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Up x 2