MAX's are the new lolpods...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ManyHats, Oct 16, 2013.

1. ManyHats

Planetside always was, is, and should be a combined arms game. Max units have their place in the game; desperate, last-ditch defences or the final push on a continent.

I'm perfectly OK with the odd, random insta-death from running into a Max when playing as infantry, but they are FAR too prevalent in the game. They are everywhere I go. Infantry do not have enough reliable options for countering max's, and they have FAR too much uptime (too easily rez'd, too quickly healed and too easily replaced).

Pulling a max should be a major decision, not the go-to farming method for padding out your K/D. I suggest a massive resource cost hike + max's cannot be rezzed OR 24-hour respawn timers on a max.
    • Up x 10
  2. MarlboroMan-E

24 hours might be a bit much. Some sort of restriction on reviving them and an increase in infantry resources should be sufficient. Maybe it takes three times as long to revive a max or something, and 100% of infantry resources?
    • Up x 2
  3. HurpDurps

It should cost resources to revive a max, either to the max wearer themselves, or the medic through some sort of consumable. For the game to treat a max as a vehicle/consumable to create, but as regular infantry to revive, just doesn't make sense. For the max wearer to be killed, you have to destroy his suit to get to the meat . Even if you revive the guy inside, the suit should be completely trashed and immobilized. If they wont apply resource cost to it, at least require an engineer to repair a certain amount of suit health before the thing can stand and fight again, or possibly a post-revive weapons lock for a short duration. Call it a systems reboot, whatever.
    • Up x 4
  4. Xasapis

It would be hilarious if we put a similar restriction on all vehicles and special weapons.
    • Up x 4
  5. palto1826

i understand how you feel because i always felt useless if i encountered a max as anything but another max...but my mind has changed significantly on this...i almost never ran as a heavy assault, my anti infantry class was a light assault or engineer or occasionally infiltrator (lmg's were never my thing because i just reload way too often)but i have been trying different things out lately to keep the game as fresh as possible and have found it is pretty easy to take them out by myself and if anyone else is firing at them too it helps...not gonna say this will help you but idk if you were like me and didnt play as a HA as much to give it a shot...
    ...but back to what you were originally saying, yes they are everywhere but it does take a good amount of resources already to pull one completely wasting any of your resources for other things that drain infantry resources...a fix could be to give the max its own pool of resources and the way to gain points in that pool is by destroying enemy maxes
  6. UberBonisseur

MAX units are brute force.

Not just in firepower, but most importantly they are meat shields, and Biolabs only fall when you give too much HP to shoot at for the defenders; sadly there is no "tactics" involved in this other than rushing as many MAX as you can.

Where MAXes should be a lumbering, expensive and vulnerable (not fragile) piece of equipment, they are rezzable battering rams that move almost as fast as infantry (worse with ZOE).

There's no easy solution, other than increasing the dependancy of MAX units.
    Like more armor, but a weak point in the back, slower turn rate, slower aim rate...
    • Up x 1
  7. GhostAvatar

Its people like you that sat here on these forums, complaining about combined arms actually having an impact on the base capture that resulted in walls being put everywhere. Now you have to deal with those consequences.

Infantry are the lowest tier of the combined arms army, you are never going to overpower any other unit in a 1v1 scenario (taking skill levels out of the equation). There power comes from sheer numbers.
    • Up x 5
  8. Pirbi

They have those already. They are called NC maxes. :D

Seriously, I take down maxes using LA, HA, and Infiltrators all the time. I'm not sure if players realize that the max is a person in a bulky Ironman type suit. Thus rezzable.
    • Up x 2
  9. IPLAYTF2

i don't mind TR or NC maxes since you can run from them. once a zoe spots you though you might aswell just stand there and die since there is no way your gunna escape.
    • Up x 4
  10. NoctD

Everyone call pull a MAX suit.

I sense a new player here - *wipes the chainblade clean, preps it for fresh meat* :D
  11. Van Dax

concussion grenade + deci + LMG, works every time.
    • Up x 3
  12. LT_Latency

The problem with concussion gernades is they come out so slow, often the max can drop you before you nade even explodes
  13. Van Dax

no different than a carbine would.
  14. LT_Latency

I don't need a concussion gernade to kill a carbine user.
  15. NinjaTurtle

MAX units should be unrevivable, repairable yes but not be given the touch of Jesus.

They can be given a health boost and a higher resistance to small arms to compensate
  16. Tekuila

Just because something kills infantry doesn't make it overpowered.

Stop ruining this game. Infantry are just meat for the grinder.
  17. LT_Latency

The problem is alot of the power stuff is boring and requires little skill to use.

Example MAXXES AND HARRASSER, Are powerful but require a low amount of skill
    • Up x 1
  18. Flapatax

I would start off at the very least by making them revive with 1% health. I mean they shouldn't be rezzable at all, but at least the idiots who say "BUT THEY ONLY HAVE 20% HEALTH SO BALANCED COMBINED ARMS!!!!!" would then have a point.
    • Up x 1
  19. Ash87

That is elitist nonsense. I'm sorry, but intended or not, your wording implies some kind of lack of skill on people who like Harassers or Max units; and further places you in a position of superiority over the people who would use said units.

A skilled player can use a max suite quite well. An unskilled player can waste 350 resources.

In regards to the OP: There are many infantry based ways to deal with maxes. Rocket launchers, C4, tank mines coupled with C4/AI mines, bullets. I find the easiest way to kill a max is to walk up behind it, and unload a clip of the T9 carv into it's head. This typically kills one off. Or, just get yourself the default rocket launcher... that works wonders against max suites.

And a resource hike will do nothing, a mobile spawn point costs 400 resources... how does it then make sense that something that looks (Just by the mass) to be about 1/20th of the mass of a sunderer, cost More than a sunderer? It already costs as much as a tank (Again, about 1/15th of the mass of a tank)... this just doesn't make sense.

Making anti-max loadouts more effective and making that an option you choose would be good... maybe some kind of depleted uranium bullets for your standard gun, or make tank mines detonate when a max treads on one.
    • Up x 1
  20. LT_Latency

Plz, You going to tell me that almost any player can't boost their KDR way way up by using a MAX or harrasser over any infantry unit???

I got my friends KDR from .6 to over 1.2 by driving a hassaser for him

Maxxes are slow and bulky with tons of HP these features lower the skill cap for the unit.