MAXes are balanced

Discussion in 'MAX' started by The Walrus Whisperer, Oct 9, 2014.

1. The Walrus Whisperer

I read a lot about how "OP" MAXes are and I disagree I think they are in the ideal place between infantry and armored. The only thing I could possibly suggest is a weak spot on each MAX that snipers can shoot. I am thinking a VERY VERY VERY small weak point to make it easier to kill AFK MAXes. The visor maybe on NC and VS MAXes? I don't know. It's just annoying how we have to shoot maxes so many times with BASRs.
  2. The Walrus Whisperer

Post objections and suggestions below.
  3. Pfundi

Okay, so you want to OHK MAXes too? Seriously?
    Okay, but then I want to Oneshot you with my Grinder over 100m range too.
    Sorry, but snipers arent meant to shoot maxes. Thought about shooting that Engie or Medic behind him?
    (Sorry, that im so aggressive)
  4. Dinapuff

More like SOE should implement anti MAX weaponry for infils that do more damage to max units and respectable damage to everything else.
  5. Pfundi

I thought this is what the explosive crossbow dart does? Guess I have to try in VR
    • Up x 1
  6. Ransurian

I'm always so-so when using a MAX. They don't really feel OP.
    • Up x 3
  7. Klondor

Anti-Materiel sniper rifle.

Take for instance, the TR has 2 snipers. the SR-7 and the Rams.50M
    They barely show any differences in performance, so why not make the Rams.50m the anti-materiel rifle?
    Bonus damage against MAX units, but no change in performance against infantry?
  8. Auzor

IMO:
    Heavy LMG's should be there own damage category, dealing 40% more damage than currently to maxes, harassers, flash, ESF.

Anti-material sniper rifle for infiltrators: same damage type; slight increase in damage to 'medium' armor.
  9. Murx

I think that MAXes should be the natural Nemesis for all sniper/infils. The MAX guard. No Special Sniper ability to engage MAXes.

MAXes are hunted by HA, fairy C4, engineers grenades and turrets and snowballing frag grenade use (abuse) of all units. They are under pressure by MAX hunting planes and harraser. They have to look out for tanks. Finally there is no unit in PS2 that is not shooting at a MAX if in sight.

If there is a new player using the first MAX (stock unit) it is already a lousy sniper meal. Without kinetic armour the MAX goes down very fast by sniper. 2-3 shoots if there is one single headshoot involved.
    • Up x 1
  10. Rovertoo

The only problem I see with MAXes is that they can be revived. They're supposed to be scary big, nigh unkillable death machines, which they are, but the problem arises when you finally kill one, it's just back up in a few seconds. Maybe just make it so the infantryman inside gets revived instead of the whole suit.

As for Infils being able to snipe MAXes (they technically can), I'm not sure it would be good to let them get critical shots with the head or anything. However, Higby recently mentioned an Anti-Material rifle, that would of course do extra damage to MAXes (at lease presumably) and actually damage vehicles! I am very excited for that, and I only ever play LA.
  11. _itg

MAXes are fine in the sense that all vehicles are fine--you pay a lot of resources to gain a distinct combat advantage in certain situations (very common ones, admittedly). Realistically speaking, you can typically do just as much if not more damage with a carbine and 450 nanites' worth of sticky grenades than you can with one MAX suit. People who complain about MAXes are the same kind of people who want tanks and aircraft totally segregated from the infantry, if not removed from the game entirely.

If MAXes couldn't be revived, they'd need to either be much cheaper or much harder to kill. They're hardly "nigh unkillable" as it is, considering 2 rockets, 2 AV grenades, 1 concussion grenade followed by concentrated fire, or 1 brick of c4 will do the job.
    • Up x 1
  12. The Walrus Whisperer

It's not that I want an easy ohk but MAX beats infiltrator every time and I just would like if even maxes had to fear infiltrators.
  13. The Walrus Whisperer

I never said anything about the max revive thing I like that MAXes can be revived! I just wish there was a way for Infiltrators to deal with maxes a little more quickly like a special type of AP bullets to do more damage to MAXes I dunno.
  14. _itg

I know, that part of the comment was directed at the post directly above mine. As for infiltrators dealing with MAXes, well, it would be hard to design a fair MAX-killing weapon for infiltrator, since MAXes can't really chase you down. Infiltrators are already pretty great at harassing MAXes and killing their support units. It's trivial to headshot MAXes with your sniper rifle, and while you won't often kill them, you'll usually force them to retreat. An SMG infiltrator can chase down injured MAXes or whittle down their health a fair bit with hit-and-run tactics. But the best thing you can do is kill the engi repairing the MAX, making him easy prey for your team's heavies.
  15. The Walrus Whisperer

I ussually do but if there was a better way to tell if a max is damaged besides the enhanced targeting because I need to use improved holding breathe so I can do extreme long range head shots.
  16. _itg

You can watch their behavior to pick good targets. If you see a Max charge away from the enemies, he's probably damaged to less than half health. If you see him crouched, hiding behind cover, there's a good chance he's damaged and waiting for an engi or for autorepair to kick in. If he's shouting "need repairs!", he probably does.
    • Up x 1
  17. MAXArmar

I'm frequently yelling "need repairs" to trick enemies into believing I'm at or under 50% HP and make them expose themselves. Works pretty well! So watch out with that.
  18. _itg

Hehe, I do that too, sometimes, but more often I actually do need repairs and I'm trying to get some clueless engi to stop playing turret hero for 5 seconds. I've also killed a number of MAXes because they were shouting for repairs. In any case, an infiltrator shouldn't be attacking if he's not at a safe distance or at least has a reasonable escape route.
  19. Makora

The problem with "weak points" is that this game doesn't deal well with precision. For example the rear armor weakness of tanks is not because there's a special box in the back with 2x damage, but because the whole tank is a giant box, with the direction from the back labled that way.
    Now try putting a small point on the MAX with extra damage, along with the netcode we have and even if you manage to hit the MAX in that spot, if you actually hit it is an another question. Anyone who has tried for consistent headshots knows the pain of SEEING the bullet clonk the head of an enemy and not have it register as a headshot. And MAX already has a headshot weak spot.

Now if I remember right, the devs are going to implement or are thinking about implementing AMR's (anti-materiel rifles). Guns that can damage tanks. So it is agreeable that they can damage MAX's more then standard rifles. But I honestly feel that MAX's are... rather underpowered.
    I mean did any of you know that Player Studio does not accept helmets for MAX's? Do you know why? Because their stats tell them that too few people pull MAX's for it to be worth while for them put MAX helmets in the game. Compared to the rest of the game, MAX's are underpowered in damage, usage and versatility. And admittedly that is good. A MAX shouldn't be planetsides's equivalent of Ironman.

But if more and more talks goes to giving more and more people the means to specifically take out MAX's I'm all set for MAX's to get more then a few upgrades to really deserve this kind response.
    • Up x 1
  20. DrBash00

I think a "max sniper" would be a nice thing.

Sniper rifle with 1 bullet, dealing maby "normal" sniper dmg. but ignoring bigger amounts of the flak armor.
    So it would be a downgraded "normal" sniper rifle, but situational for maxes....

But because maxes are not really dangerous on the open fields (because there you have tanks, aircrafts etc. to counter them) we need something INSIDE the buildings.

I think the best way would be making emp granades deactivating the max suit for 1 - 3 seconds... so you can stop max crashes..
    Because outside isnt the real problem, inside of buildings a maxcrash is something that can´t really be countered...

Btw. i think the max is the strongest unit in the game, and it should stay that strong, it elevates ps2 from other "normal" shooter games...