[Suggestion] MAX two handed weapons?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Makora, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Makora

This idea popped to mind a while back, I think I even made a thread about a similar topic, but here goes a second try.

Right now, maxes are geared for close range, in your face, combat. I know some weapons are more effective at longer ranges but the lack of any optics and precision aiming make it difficult to do.
    So how about a series of two handed weapons? I'm going to be talking in general terms so faction specifics are not something I want to go into much, and it is just me throwing the idea at a wall and seeing if any part of it sticks.

So, these weapons would follow the design of vehicle weapons being modified to be fire able by MAX hands. Or standard firearms scaled up to fire mounted weapon ammunition. Think a 2 meter long, bulky assault rifle that fires .50 cal or 20mm rounds and has most all of the options of a standard assault rifle, but for a MAX.
    Machine gun and shotgun options should also exist for all factions, don't want to count anyone out right now.
    As for AV, I'd go so far as to go with scaled down MBT main cannons. Fires the same rounds but the range and accuracy is severely lacking. Along with the ammo pool being very small.

I know, I know. Sounds crazy OP or weird as heck. But, why not? Why not make a MAX a bit OP? You pay resources for it. I mean when you'd see a TR MAX with a sort of "portable" version of the 120mm dual-barrel HEAT cannon, you know crap just hit the fan. And an AR version MAX doesn't have the sustainable fire of standard weapons, but it does possess far better accuracy and range. A sort of tactical MAX.
    And possibly a sort of heavy machinegun type weapon. Think ESF's rotary in a "standard" minigun holding position.

If anyone's familiar with the Appleseed universe, you know what I'm aiming at.
    • Up x 1
  2. Liewec123

it'd be fun if we got sort of our faction thing, like TR get a vulcan type weapon,
    NC get something like a handheld Tankbuster,
    and VS get a big dam laser gun :D
  3. Master

4. Makora

Oh I made a thread about asking for something like this AGES ago. Didn't get much traffic though. But yeah, for me, the added benefit of having a single weapon is that you can have additional functionality like IRNV/Thermal optics (something MAXes are severely lacking right now) and all around more medium-long range weaponry. I know that can be argued that MAXes already have that capability but in most (read: All) cases it comes down to throwing obscene amount of ammo at the enemy and simply by attrition, killing them.

So, I'd really love to see a sort of minigun type weapon AND a sort of med-long range oriented super-large assault rifle. Think tactical MAX. Right now the MAX is at best a blunt force multiplier/bullet sponge. You just throw it at groups of enemies with a pocket engineer (optional) and it severely loses effectiveness beyond 30m.

These weapons might, however, dilute the effect/task of a MAX but... one can dream.
  5. Pikachu

Has been suggested before. I want a hand carried version of a pre-GU11-whatever C85. 250x12=3000 damage per shot.
  6. Takoita

I would certainly like to have a weapon option that can hit people farther than SMG can. I'd suggest making current wrist-mounted AI weapons into sidearms (but limit them to 1 maximum; buff stats to compensate) and giving some proper heavy weaponry to the MAX. Like, say, a bigger brother of LMGs with one higher damage tier and proper zoom/IRNV.
  7. Goldy

Would be kind of neat.

A mini-Vulcan

A mini-Saron

A mini....shotgun(?)
  8. MorganM

When you said two handed weapons I was thinking ...
    Glaive
    Bardiche
    Halberd
    Two-handed Sword

=)
  9. Iridar51

NC MAX already has a shield. Add energy sword, jet packs, travel transformation.... :rolleyes:
    [IMG]
    Having a huge 20mm full auto / 30mm semi-auto cannon that looks like assault rifle would be insanely cool, but if the whole idea is just so MAXes can aim, then it would be easier to just give them certable optics, activated by something other than right mouse click.
  10. Makora

An option. We have the X button for flashlights and all that, so we could have optics with that. But only practical option with that would be thermal/IR and flashlights. To toggle zoom is an option but can very likely rub against a lot of playstyles. And to have it hold... well, that's just uncomfortable. There's also the convergence thing that can decide to die at a moment's notice.

Other then optics and just plain old cool-factor. I'm aiming for versatility. At the moment the MAX is little more then a blunt force pointman. You stick in the front to take the brunt of the attack. By having modifiable weapon systems, I'd see them sacrificing some of their brute force attack capability to be more capable at more varied ranges and situations. If one met the other in a clear corridor the standard two arm version should win out because it can deal more damage in the face, while as the two-hand weapons would be useful in more open terrain.

At least that's what I'd want to achieve with them.

Visually, my inspirations were Appleseed's landmates and these images.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]