Max punch should do 2000 dmg

Discussion in 'MAX' started by CryX, Sep 29, 2014.

1. CryX

Ok lets think about this. If an infantry unit hits someone with there melee for 500 dmg and then a MAX, witch is a big mech suit BTW!, does the same dmg that doesnt make sense the max can hit WAY harder than an infantry unit! So tell me if you think this would be a good idea.
    • Up x 1
  2. UnDeaD_CyBorG

MAX suits should have melee weapons, like were hinted at a long while back.
    Infantry don't punch each other, either.
  3. MaxDamage

The MAX punch damage is really enough already.
    I Auraxiumed it, it was one of the most fun one to Auraxium combined with charge. The contact spread is quite wide and it makes a good finisher against regular infantry and other MAX units. It is very handy when you're up against infantry with AV or AA MAX.
    • Up x 1
  4. Dieter Perras

Remember kids

say no to OHKs
    • Up x 7
  5. Nehlis

Infantry only have 1000 health anyways. current punch does 750. There is absolutely no need for 2000. If anyone is at half shields, that will kill them. Considering a solid ferromagnetic slug shot from a railgun cannot OHKO without a headshot...
    • Up x 1
  6. Pikachu

You're not a lover of modern FPS games?
    • Up x 1
  7. MAXArmar

I think it's fine the way it is. Highering its damage would also have consequences for other things we can hit, like turrets. (reminds self to re-bind punch to a convenient button)

EDIT: Maxdamage, your opinion about using MAX punch as opposed to AI weapons of the ROF/Dmg type of Blueshift/Mercy versus another MAX at point blank range? Only as finisher?
  8. _itg

The MAX punch is fine the way it is. Thematically, remember that the knife is some sort of high-tech armor-piercing blade, while the MAX punch is just a lot of blunt force trauma. It makes sense for it to do a little more damage, but not THAT much more.

The only problem I see is that it's a little unreasonable to ask you to Auraxium the MAX punch for the MAX directive. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most or all of the handful of people who have done it have been accumulating punch kills since 2012. In particular, it asks NC MAXes to go out their way to use a goofy playstyle, since the shotguns already instagib in punching range.

Edit: Also, the OP implies he thinks MAX punches do the same damage a the knife. For the record, the punch does 750.
  9. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Only a handful of people have reached the MAX-Punch Directive without resorting to cheesy farming like standing around in a small group with a medic on hand.
    So yeah, I want that Energy Blade SOE hinted at early 2013. Not sure why the NC would need it, though.
  10. McToast

Moin
    There were means to OHK in older FPS too. OHKs themselfes aren't a problem, the way OHK weapons are implemented may cause some frustration. You may see some scrubs shed tears about BASR and the Dalton, but those are negligible. Usually just average-bad players.

Let MAXes do dmg to armor with a punch :>.
    • Up x 1
  11. Dieter Perras

I find stuff that kills you with a single hit unskillful and/or annoying. mostly the later I like having a say in my deaths thank you very much :cool:
  12. Pikachu

I think melee attack with falcon should do 2000 damage.
    • Up x 2
  13. MAXArmar

As someone who thoroughly enjoyed ww2 realism mods for bf1942 I have to say that OHK (heck, even tanks could OHK eachother, depending on armament, distance etc.) shifts the skill requirements to stuff like situational awareness, positioning etc. So it's still about skill, just a different type thereof.
    • Up x 1
  14. Dieter Perras

Well it really does depend upon the game sometimes I guess, if the game has is almost all OHKs then it can be enjoyable and skillful, hell I loved paintball (if anyone even remembers that game any more). But the thing is that in Planetside 2 the TTK is so long normally that OHKs become annoying very fast.

Also how long it takes to get back into the fight doesn't help...
    • Up x 1
  15. UnDeaD_CyBorG

What types of skills a player needs depends on the game environment.
    Players pick games that they are halfway competent in, at least most seem to do.
    Drastically changing the skill requirements would mean that the majority of the player base are alienated by it.
    Won't happen, though, and MAX punches wouldn't do that, either.

However, in a game that is based around OHKs having stark requirements, like a headshot with a slow firing weapon or a significant resource investment that also curtails mobility, melee attacks that everyone has probably should not be that dangerous.
    Maybe they could grant a slight damage bonus from behind.
  16. TraatAdmiral

Unless that's been changed, they already do. You can punch a base turret to death.
  17. Sossen

Let Maxes switch out one weapon for a melee weapon, make it OHK vs infantry and devastating vs vehicles/MAXes. TR MAXes will cry because their ES ability is useless for this role.

But just imagine a MAX retake with a squad of MAXes just charging into the point and bashing people with hammers and swords. I would totally dig it.
  18. Neo3602

So basically something like this:
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  19. desktop

I like it. If a max manages to get withing punching range of anything it should do tremendous damage be it infantry or vehicle.
  20. vanu123