Max Punch: Bugged and Why

Discussion in 'MAX' started by CuteBeaver, Jan 23, 2015.

1. CuteBeaver

Hey guys I usually stick to the infil boards, but as of recently... I think you guys are suffering from one of the same bugs affecting quick knife. A few infils have been testing out the knives and collectively trying to figure out what the heck is causing such horrible detection.

Most of these bugs are directly related to "quick knife" mechanics in which also incorporate Max Punch because its a cone attack. (In theory) I wish I could tell you guys to "equip" your max punch.... but sadly... that is not an option. You can't get around some of these issues until a fix is made by SOE.

So in a nutshell: Trying to punch enemies standing near any type of wall, box or object will not work. Also be careful of slopes too. Looking downwards towards the ground is not a good idea. At first i thought maybe I had T-Rex arms... Nope. Essentially your punch will automatically hit the wall, cover object, or surface, and becomes invalid against the target. Sadly max punch really is at the mercy of this bug and if the enemy puts his rear against the wall there is hardly anything you can do about it... (besides shoot)

The other bug / issue which might be more related to server having a bad day - has to do with getting inside enemy hit boxes. Your huge, it could happen, but it usually happens to me if I am running or leaping towards an enemy. If your not able to do any damage at all within snuggling distance try side stepping out of their hitbox... It won't look like your inside of them to you, but i have confirmed with enemies after they have killed me I was originally inside of them when I opened my ambush. Anyway the thread on the infil boards is here: [Motivational]: Love your Knife Again!

The official bug report for quick knives can be found here: https://soeissuetracker.com/browse/PS-1038

If one of you wants to step up and officially test max punch, it might be a good idea lump them both together and for SOE to clear up both issues at the same time.
    • Up x 1
  2. Leivve

I could recognize you're pink text from two sub-threads away.
    • Up x 2
  3. MajiinBuu

Fun fact: Max Punch is capable of doing damage to all vehicles
  4. DoomFruit

It's a pity that charge doesn't bowl over vehicles which aren't Flashes. I once tried to free a Galaxy that way - it didn't work :(
  5. AlterEgo

I am quite positive that SOE changed the knives and the way they hit the target. Not a good idea, considering that the whole system was perfect a few months ago. Never knew this applied to MAXes, however.

P.S. Anyone here wonder why a MAX punch deals more damage than a knife? Worst that can happen from a punch is a concussion, while a knife will most certainly kill you.:p
  6. _itg

It's not just a punch, it's a hydraulic-powered punch capable of damaging heavy armor.
  7. AlterEgo

I realize that...
    But really, the only MAX punch that looks like it'll maul you is the VS crab fist. Otherwise, the heaviest looking but the least deadly looking would be the NC shottyhand.
  8. Leivve

I don't think you realize what 10-20 pounds of metal being swung at your head could do to you. Really a max punch should instantly kill you, because wherever it hits at that speed would leave you on the ground waiting for the embrace of death.

It's the equivalent of being hit by a car at 35 M/PH but the force being concentrated into a single point; which makes it worst.
  9. AlterEgo

I realize that a massive shottyhand would leave a massive hole in your head upon impact, but think about it:
    That'll leave a hole in your head...
    While the VS one will SLICE your head...
    Which sounds worse?o_O
  10. Leivve

I don't know. Let me slice one guy's head open and punch a hole through another guys then we can ask them... oh wait...
  11. AlterEgo

XD
    Good point. But think of it, one sounds brutal, the other slightly amusing.
  12. GaveYouHermes

I'm currently in EMT training. I can assure you that a hydraulic powered metal fist would absolutely kill you without a doubt. Blunt trauma kills more people faster than punctures and lacerations. A punch to the head with enough power (while breaking the attacker's hand) would rattle the brain, having it bounce off the skull, and as the brain moves around blood vessels and arteries can be twisted and ripped apart by the force. You then have a stroke and die from both a lack of oxygen to your head and pressure crushing your brain. Brass knuckles can easily cave your forehead, which is one of the (if not the) toughest parts of your skull with a quick strike.

People are already capable of this with their bare fists, now imagine somebody in an exo suit that weighs a few tons punching you with incredible speed and accuracy with a metal fist.

You would die. Your skull would be destroyed.
  13. AlterEgo

Sheesh, man, no need to be so descriptive about it!o_O
    Also, couldn't something sharp and fast enough to swing slice clean through your head? While the human skull may be powerful, the ability of a fist to cave a forehead should indicate that sharper objects made for cutting could instantly kill you. Of course, I am no doctor, but it's a question I've been meaning to ask:)
  14. GaveYouHermes

I believe overkill is highly underrated. So I wanted to really paint the picture of what would happen from a MAX punch. Also, the sharp object could theoretically slice clean through, but the material would have to be very well made so it wouldn't crack or shatter afterward, and heavy enough to have the mass to punch through. Imagine a coconut that you chop open with an axe. So it wouldn't quite cleanly cut it due to all the fused parts of our skull being the first parts to go. Making it a lot more brutal.

But in all honesty, it takes a ton of force to cut open a skull really quickly. One of the rarer things to see as an EMT from what I've heard from my instructors. But I think that the crab mech would be able to at the very least impale somebody's head.
  15. Leivve

Your assuming the head could hold on to the neck. With that much force you're more likely to rip the weak muscles that hold the appendage to your body.
  16. nightbird

Since the bodies in PS2 are made of nanites, remote controlled by operators (you), there are no bones to break or arteries to sever...