MAX AA - ridiculously OP?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by SirJMD, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Zaik

Yes, the skyguard is terrible, we've all been telling people not to buy it pretty much ever since it was first created. It really needs resistance specifically against aircraft explosion damage like the AA Phalanx turrets have. They could probably also remove the rear armor weakness with skyguard on since it's useless against other ground vehicles, make it the same as side/top.
  2. Clonecenter-resident

So we agree then, the skyguard needs to be buffed to be better than the dual burster max. I'm glad we could get that out of the way.
  3. Clonecenter-resident

I don't agree to that. As an infantry I get killed by invisible people all the time. It's usually an infiltrator that has actual invisibility and if I stand still for more than half a second he hits me in the head and I die instantly.

Planes on the other hand aren't dying instantly to flak, they are getting hit, and taking damage, and even if they can't see where that damage is coming from they can still maneuver to make themselves difficult to hit. If they fail to do that then they deserve to die. They have plenty of time to get out of the area or take action, they at least get a chance to react. Against a sniper bullet you have zero chance. I have no sympathy for pilots that die to AA.

Invisible missiles with no lock on warning are another matter though. That's about the same as the sniper situation. I still don't feel bad for them though because in the end, it's no worse than what infantry have to deal with constantly.
  4. Drayth

The skyguard is still OP. Its just that the MAX is insanely OP.
    • Up x 1
  5. Eugenitor

Nothing nourishes like the tears of flyboys. Boo hoo hoo, your KDR is dropping because you can't farm spawns anymore. Boo hoo hoo, the ESF isn't an instant Magic Superiority Machine anymore.

The thing only costs 200 resources, and let's face it, the spawn timer is drastically reduced for most of you by now. It also has the most mobility of anything in the game. Why are you surprised now that people can actually kill it?

They still need to increase the accuracy of Skyguards, though.
  6. Deavonere

As I've said in a different thread about SG.

All you need to do is:
    • reduce damage by 50-70% (before you start yelling! - it depends on tests - we want to give ESFs ability to run away, but don't let them easily win in 1v1)
    • x2 increase in magazine size
    • x1.5 to x2 RoF (depends on tests)
    • significantly increase CoF and projectile velocity (but you should still lead your target - we don't want easy mode).
    • give us ability to cert for extended magazine (5 levels and +25 ammo each level)
    • make significant increase in reload certifications (not 2% but at least 5% each.)
  7. SirJMD

I don't fully agree, but something has to be done. Moments ago we were in a big battle and a lot of ESF showed up.. I could quickly grab my AA MAX from the sunderer and bash the hell out of them.

It takes no skills and it can instantly be deployed in the middle of the battle - at least with the tank you have to spawn it somewhere. In every aspect is the MAX better than SG, which doesn't seem fair at all.
    • Up x 2
  8. IronWarrior

You are trying to compare an Infiltrator (which has rendered to you) which has stealth on top of that to a player that does not RENDER but can shoot the crap out of air units when the air unit can't see that player or the fire coming from him.

Sounds really fair doesn't it.

I like this game, let's all play this game, I shoot you, but you can't see me and I will keep doing it over and over, sounds like fun right.

Wish BF3 and Crap Ops was like that, I love to get shot by unrendered players all the time.

I suggest you don't login again, there is enough idiots in this forums at the moment.
  9. Dreadnaught Wrex

Extremely accurate my ***.... lol

But they are kind of OP against infantry. Not so long ago, I saw a guy at least 50m away from me, nothing but a skinny speck on my screen. Figured as a joke I would fire a few AA rounds at him. Hit him in the head with one and killed him. But that was just blind luck. Hitting an aircraft at a distance is insane. Extremely hard to hit them unless they are sitting still.
  10. Hosp

Again, the issue is with the amount of vehicles on the field, not the power of the weapons used to counter those vehicles.
    (Though SGs should still be more powerful than MAXs for AA, I Agree 100% there)

A couple ESFs going into a location alone are supposed to get vaporized by the ground forces there. A swarm won't get vaporized, a few will explode, and hopefully the rest will clean up the ground forces. If they are incapable of doing so, then the ground forces deserve their, brief, victory over those air forces.
  11. Clonecenter-resident

There is little if any practical difference between an invisible player that has not rendered and a stealther 500m away behind a hill with only the top of his head showing. In both cases the target/victim has zero chance of finding the shooter before he gets shot. It is only AFTER he gets shot that he can try to identify the location of the attacker. The difference between the two situations however, is that the pilot in this scenario gets no indicator of the direction or type of attack, all he knows is he is taking damage. The infantry doesn't even get that, he is immediately dead, with no chance to react or try to evade.

In short, the two situations are very similar, being attacked by attackers you cannot see, the pilot however at least has a CHANCE to survive, flak does not kill that quickly. If you are dying to flak either you are doing it wrong or there are 2-3 guys focusing you down. In either case you deserve what you get.

TBH skyguards should have around a 1.5 second TTK for esf's and 2.5 seconds for liberators. Burster maxes should be around twice that. Right now burster maxes are somewhere around 3-4 times that value and skyguards are even slower than that.
  12. D3mux

Skyguard are fine, they are a good deterrent vs light aircraft, howerever is fresh water for bigger crafts and of course it sucks vs everything else. Skyguard is definetely not OP, the exact opposite of MAX AA.
    I totally agree with thread creator: max AA weapon is definetely more accurate than skyguard and much more easy to use (u just spawn as MAX...).
    Moreover, MAX often stay behind spawn barriers attacking aircraft from long range so they are invulnerable other than damage effective. And not last, a full set of 12 breaker rocket are usually enough to kill a lightning from back, but not enough to kill a MAX, also cause of the narrow explosion area of rockets.
    MAX definetely need a rebalance vs AA, it should be an heavy infantry class, but actually it's more like a super-precise-moving-anti-air-turret.
    As i stated before:
    - increase accuracy of skyguard, no need of special buffs, just accuracy, at least as actual MAX AA accuracy
    - decrease MAX AA range and/or projectile speed
  13. Zenkiki

Let's be honest here... They should just remove the Flak Cannon from the SG and replace it with a lock-on swarm missile launcher. It would be glorious.

....Wait! Better yet, give my MAX the swarm missiles! ^.~
  14. XenomorphZZ

Umm... You can kill an invisible infiltrator, you can't kill unrendered people who have you rendered, thus they obtain functional invincibility...

EDIT: Just read a few more posts, thing is the victim's teamates can figure out where the fire came from and go kill the INF, or in the case of non-headshot, the victim can track down the INF and possibly kill him...

In cases of render distance invisibilty/invincibility this is impossible.

You do realize you just nerfed MAX AA and did nothing for the SG right?

The Cone of Fire isn't the SG's issue here.

EDIT:

Also, the SG isnt much as a one-trick-pony, its fairly decent against ground vehicles as it can kill a sundy in 2-3 clips...
  15. TheEvilBlight

Do vehicles have flinch?

A suppression mechanic that induces flinch in weaponry might be hilarious.
  16. Badname0192

You must be flying -really- slow.
  17. VampireOcelot

Well there were many good points here (I didn't read them all), I feel the biggest problem with the max is the ease in which it can be accessed anywhere and deployed anywhere. SG cannot just pop out of a sundy behind a hill. The resources needed for a max that can kill air vehicles that cost way more then it does. This needs to be changed. This effects the overall tactics I'm sure the devs wanted placed in which facilities are important for capturing. Air resource points were meant to be something of value, in that it meant your team would have air dominance. If air forces can easily be pushed around by max suits that can be deployed anywhere, then there is no gain from capturing facilities that offer bonuses in air resource points.

I feel 2 things can be done to help limit the ease of max abuse. First off (I know many are gonna hate it), no more max spawns from sunderers. It never made sense to me that this mobile troop transport also doubled as a robot suit factory. I can see it carrying enough ammo to resupply, but lets get real people, an infinite supply of robot suits? Some might feel that this wouldn't be fair. Max suits could still do their role of base defence with ease. Just not for sundy defence (that's what SG are for). They would still be able to be transported via sunderer or galaxy so this wouldn't be that huge a change.

Second would be to raise the infantry resouce points needed to spawn a max to at least 200 base. If it wants to run with the big boys and kill vehicles, ground or air. They should cost more to spawn them.
  18. D3mux

I have the skyguard and i don't find it so low. At mid distance i usually can always deal to light aircraft 50+% damage.
    Problem that i see is that at higher distance, the accuracy is really low, much lower that a MAX AA that continue hitting me with good accuracy from TI Alloys to entrance of J908 site, and that distance is far higher than effective render distance.
    Increasing power to SG could make it to be an OP weapon at mid range for decent skilled ppl, so that's why i'd increase effectiveness at high range.
    A lot of things could be done, i was also thinking about a special "skill" related to SG so that you "deploy" your lighting (with restriction to mobility) increasing accuracy and maybe other stats.
    Well... its more than 2-3 clips... i just did it yesterday, about 5-6 clips are needed.
    And you can do this only when sunderer is not defended, no engineer repairing it and no HA/MAX attacking you, this situation is quite rare.
  19. wingspan

Skyguard needs more potency for the specialization and restrictions you take on. Second, I'm curious if there's an inherent inaccuracy on tracking potentially fast moving targets with the "vehicle aim" effect. I can track a plane, but it's sluggish compared to a MAX's aim, or a tank/sunderer secondary.

A quad version of the G-40? With the explosive canisters that provide a real flak effect? I don't see an Aegis-like missile platform happening for SG, but I wouldn't complain :)
  20. MarcusD

Airchav thread?
    Cool, I enjoy flying with no flares because that means that I actually have to do some clever flying.